Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough
Default GT x-cutters

Ok these x-cutters are starting to get expensive. I really like them but they don't take much abuse from other arrows like my GT 7595 hunter expeditions do. I can slap arrows together all day with the hunters but the x's get slapped one time and the knock breaks on the inside of the shaft and the end of the shaft cracks!
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Try the Victory X-Ringers (NOT HVs). They're a little heavier but that weight is due to a slightly thicker wall, otherwise they're very much like the X-Cutters. I shoot the 250s and the only ones that I've broken are ones that have earned it (and I'm dang hard on arrows).
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
srj26

Thanks I'll check into them. Are the 250's splined heavy enough for 60-70 lbs?
Oh and to top it all off my QAD ultra rest hunter took a crap today. Bought a Trophy taker extreme. I think I like it better. Bad thing is I didn't have to adjust anything with the QAD when switching between my x's and hunter arrows. kinda hoping QAD offers to replace the broken one.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
srj26

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj26 View Post
Ok these x-cutters are starting to get expensive. I really like them but they don't take much abuse from other arrows like my GT 7595 hunter expeditions do. I can slap arrows together all day with the hunters but the x's get slapped one time and the knock breaks on the inside of the shaft and the end of the shaft cracks!
Forgot to mention these are the ultra light x-cutters
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Supermag

The 250s are .250 spine (should be the same as the X-Cutters you're shooting now) so they're plenty stiff enough for pretty much anything.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

All big barrel, thin wall specialty shafts are not as durable as the small diameter thick wall hunting shafts.
As far as GT vs Vic, GT is way tougher overall. Alot of guys tried the Vics at our club and after using the Vics for a whle most quickly came to the conclusion they dont hold up like GT.
Get Easton g nock uni-bushings for you X cutters and they will last longer. Try some Series 22
ULs replaced old style.
When someone suggests Vics to be more durable than GT, I go get my 16" rubber muck boots
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Supermag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
All big barrel, thin wall specialty shafts are not as durable as the small diameter thick wall hunting shafts.
As far as GT vs Vic, GT is way tougher overall. Alot of guys tried the Vics at our club and after using the Vics for a whle most quickly came to the conclusion they dont hold up like GT.
Get Easton g nock uni-bushings for you X cutters and they will last longer. Try some Series 22
ULs replaced old style.
When someone suggests Vics to be more durable than GT, I go get my 16" rubber muck boots
Since you're saying I'm full of it, I will respond. First off, whenever someone says the Victorys aren't durable, it's because they bought the HVs and expect a thin walled shaft designed for speed to be just as durable as their small diameter hunting arrows that weigh 2-5 gpi more and that's not going to happen.

Since I already said I'm hard on arrows, I'll elaborate. I've stuck arrows in trees, walls (both plywood and studs), hit the steel tube in target legs, hit target frames, skipped them off concrete, get slapped by other arrows, etc and had these arrows survive it. I have used them for hunting and will continue to do so because of the durabilities and consistancy these arrows have proven to me they have. And I've got these 460 grain arrows moving at 260 fps so they do have the power behind them to easily break a shaft.

I have not personally tried the GT's myself (I have a friend who is a national champion FITA shooter that steered me towards the standard X-Ringers over the X-Cutters because he found the GTs to not be as durable as the Victorys), so I can't comment on them first hand. Too bad others don't wait until they have first hand experience with something before commenting too.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

The multitude of ArcheryTalk Victory arrow shaft fail threads only subsided when Victory became a major sponsor of AT. GT has never had too many durability complaints, they have had " over spined " complaints when it comes to the big barrel models. Having shot them all, I have gone back to GT after Easton discontinued the Beman 9.3 because they offer the best bang for buck in 3D specialty shafts.