Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Bucks in you area

Just wondering what the average body weight, age and score of the big bucks in your area. In Michigan an average buck would be around 150lbs at around one and a half. If they make it to two and a half or three and a half anywhere from 185 to 225lbs.Our deer are so pressured here, most don't make it past one and a half.The best I been able to get is a 135 class.I have seen bigger bucks but it was not ment to be.I see pictures of some of bucks from the avatar's and we have a better chance of getting struck be lightning than seeing a 150,170 class buck. Just wondering?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I think your guessing the average alittle high for Michigan.

Most shot are 1.5 year old with milk stains lips.......I would say 125 pound average in michigan right now.

Now loook at the average doe shot, I bet with the war on does michigan is involved in, the average weight for a doe is about 80 pounds.

Sad, sad state of affairs here in the great lake state.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

Most shot are 1.5 year old with milk stains lips.......I would say 125 pound average in michigan right now.

Now loook at the average doe shot, I bet with the war on does michigan is involved in, the average weight for a doe is about 80 pounds.

It's much the same here in Pa. The Game Commission, in their infinite wisdom has declared a war on deer and think they need to kill as many as can be done. Of course they keep posting near record numbers in their deer kill reports, but with a two week deer season (kill anything that walks) people get multiple doe tags and just keep flingin lead. This one of the many reasons I have given up hunting altogether.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Quote:

Ok,I'll see ya half way on the average. You said it, on the sad state of affairs here. Now they are talking about
moving opening of gun to the Saturday before the 15th. So much for primetime hunting.

Bfisher, here in Michigan we wish we had just 2 weeks of gun season.Two weeks before bow season , we have early gun doe season,then six weeks of bow which is from Oct1 to Nov 14th then gunseason pretty much ti'll Jan 1 then the season's over. Once the orange stormtroopers are in full force they pretty much are extinct.

Last edited by vortec 1; 04-28-2011 at 09:40 PM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Average? I'll bet 135lbs. That's total weight divided by the number shot, right?
A decent buck here is 110-120 score antler-wise, anything over that is a BIG racked deer.
We occasionally get a 140 or so but that's huge and rare.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Here's what I think !

These are last years deer !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0729.jpg (152.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0718.jpg (155.8 KB, 103 views)
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
Ok,I'll see ya half way on the average. You said it, on the sad state of affairs here. Now they are talking about
moving opening of gun to the Saturday before the 15th. So much for primetime hunting.

Bfisher, here in Michigan we wish we had just 2 weeks of gun season.Two weeks before bow season , we have early gun doe season,then six weeks of bow which is from Oct1 to Nov 14th then gunseason pretty much ti'll Jan 1 then the season's over. Once the orange stormtroopers are in full force they pretty much are extinct.
See, this makes our situation sound ike a dream world. At least the bowhunters have first crack at the deer herd. Our season usually starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1 and runs for 6 weeks. The third week of Oct we have to share the woods for three days with Flintlock and young (12 yr old) with rifles, during which time only does are legal for the guns. Rifle season comes in the Monday after Thanksgiving for two weeks. There is an extended season for three weeks after Christmas for Bow and muzzleloaders. There are some special seasons for certain over loaded areas, but these are not worth mentioning. As with most states bows can be used during any of the gun seasons.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
See, this makes our situation sound ike a dream world. At least the bowhunters have first crack at the deer herd. Our season usually starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1 and runs for 6 weeks. The third week of Oct we have to share the woods for three days with Flintlock and young (12 yr old) with rifles, during which time only does are legal for the guns. Rifle season comes in the Monday after Thanksgiving for two weeks. There is an extended season for three weeks after Christmas for Bow and muzzleloaders. There are some special seasons for certain over loaded areas, but these are not worth mentioning. As with most states bows can be used during any of the gun seasons.
Sounds like we have the same DNR (STUPID)We have to put up with two weekends of gun before bow season.I miss the days when deer did'nt even know the season started.

Nice bucks Crapshooter!!!

Last edited by vortec 1; 05-02-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

On my place a 2.5 year old deer is a definite shooter. Very rare to see one older than that. The place to the west of me is pretty big and he lets half of the county hunt it, it seems like anyways and they shoot anything that moves. 3 years ago I arrowed a 2.5 year old 8pt.; while I was waiting to go get him I had a 3pt come through the exact same spot. I bet myself he wouldn't make it through gun season........he didn't.

Down in KY where I hunt it's different. You can see a 3.5 or 4.5 year old deer. I'll still take a 2.5 year old though as my opportunities to hunt there are rather limited.

Last year:
The guy I hunt with down there took a big bodied buck, 8pt but the beams had a lot of mass. His son took a drop tine that was a mounter for sure.
Me: I shot one just into legal hours at about 120yds. - thought it was a doe. Turns out it was a spike with the antler broken off on the side facing me - looked for head gear but the 4" spike on the far side didn't show up in the scope - very disappointing way to burn your buck tag.

Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
tuckerman9

tuckerman9 is on a distinguished road

I would say the average for me is 190 pounds for a buck and 120 pounds for a doe. Its been probably 10 years since I have shot a buck under 120 inches, and last year I did'nt even shot a buck(first time in 8yrs that I did'nt), but I am picky, and most of the guys around me are also. However I did miss 180-to 190 incher last year. My brother and I hunt the same property and between the 2 of us, one of usually gets 140 plus deer every year.
tuckerman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Default Thanks for the response's

It's interesting to see what's out there.Always hunting in Michigan on state land or on different private properties, hunting high pressured deer.I hope to some day make it out West to bowhunt Elk, Mule deer and Bigger racked whitetail's.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

Crapshooter........when you say you stack em up like cord wood, you weren't kiding. Couple of nice bucks in there.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Kighty7Xtreme

Kighty7Xtreme is on a distinguished road

I live in NW PA where we have lots of agriculture and feed for the deer year round. We also do a great deal with year round food plots and supplimental feeding. In my area we see deer in the 120's and bigger by 3.5 years of age. The genetics are pretty good in my area. Body size they can be pushing over 220 easily at 3.5 years of age. I shot a buck this year that scored 108 in. but his body was big. By his teeth and trail camera pics we believe he was 4.5 years of age. He dressed out at close to 195 and he was shot on the last day of rifle seson.

I live in an area that over the past many years we had AR that only allowed bucks that have 4 points to one side legal for harvest. They just changes the AR's again and I think this will hurt the bucks in our area. Time will only tell but we have some really good deer.

I score whitetails and this year I scored a 180 in deer and a 177 in deer taken in PA in 2010. Both were bow kills and were awesome deer.
Kighty7Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

[QUOTE=Gator eye;291647]Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

I know what you mean, I had a goal that by the time I was 45 I would make it West to do a Elk hunt and here I am with the kids all gone,48 and still have'nt made it yet!!!

Last edited by vortec 1; 05-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Gator eye

[QUOTE=vortec 1;291655]
Quote:
Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

I know what you mean, I had a goal that by the time I was 45 I would make it West to do a Elk hunt and here I am with the kids all gone,48 and still have'nt made it yet!!!
Time flies when your having fun!!!!! I'm turning 45 in acouple of days

Maybe next year we be the year
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

The two highest scoring at the shop this year were scored 184.5 and 193+. Both monsters. Weight, a lot..LOL
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #17
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

my aunt owns a bar that has a deer contest for gun and bow every year and usually a buck weighin about 205-220 wins the bow contest and gun season about 210 usally wins as for score there is 1 or 2 180 190's brought in every year
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote