Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 07-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
infamousxvii

infamousxvii is on a distinguished road
Default Bow Set Up?

I am just getting into target shooting and i just bought a Fred Bear Truth 2 Dark Horse to shot with. I tested tons of bows and it was one of the smoothest most comfortable bows for me. I am trying to figure out what a good setup for this bow would be. I dont want to spend tons of money and since I am relatively new at the sport, I dont need the best. Any ideas on a equipment I should get?
infamousxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
bbarton123

bbarton123 is on a distinguished road

i just bought a hoyt pro-elite since i too am starting to get into target archery. I went with a axcel 3000 with a viper scope, and a trophy taker rest
bbarton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Here's the accessaries I use: Limbdriver pro rest, LImbsaver stabilizer, Coppeer John Dead Nutz 2 sight, Quikee Quiver 3 arrow detachable, Victory vforce HV arrows.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
KEIFER112

KEIFER112 is on a distinguished road

I Myself have a year experience. During that time I've heard people say if you are only 3d or target shooting you need a drop away rest. If you hunt you'll need a wisker biscut. I use a wisker biscut because that's what i'll be hunting with. IMO, get the drop away. Good luck with the shooting.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
KEIFER112

KEIFER112 is on a distinguished road

Oh yea, Nice Bow by the way.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousxvii View Post
I am just getting into target shooting and i just bought a Fred Bear Truth 2 Dark Horse to shot with. I tested tons of bows and it was one of the smoothest most comfortable bows for me. I am trying to figure out what a good setup for this bow would be. I dont want to spend tons of money and since I am relatively new at the sport, I dont need the best. Any ideas on a equipment I should get?
Sounds like your on a good path. Search the classifid on AT and you can pick up top of the line sights,stabilizers,rest,arrows etc etc for sometimes half the cost of brand new.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Minndroptine

Minndroptine is on a distinguished road
Default ??? Target

Quote:
Mathews Apex7, Copper John Dead nuts2 Competition .019 pins. Nap Smartrest, Vicory VX-22 HV arrows with Blazer x vanes 1.75 shield cut, Octane stab with Doinker 12", Amaerica's Best Bow strings.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
koon

koon is on a distinguished road
Default shock terminator suppressor

We want to know if they make a shock terminator suppressor for a mathews switch back ld.
koon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Good Bow by the way

Quote:

Check out the Tru Glow sights. There well priced for the money.

Whisker Bisquit or Good Drop Away rest are always a good choice. I shoot the Trophy Taker rest.

Goldtips makes a fine arrow and there hunterXT arrows are very reasonable.

Simms makes a good stabilizer cheap.

Quickee Quiver are very affordable and have a lifetime garantee.

You didnt say if your setting this up for hunting or target shooting.
DB
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Check out the Tru Glow sights. There well priced for the money.

Whisker Bisquit or Good Drop Away rest are always a good choice. I shoot the Trophy Taker rest.

Goldtips makes a fine arrow and there hunterXT arrows are very reasonable.

Simms makes a good stabilizer cheap.

Quickee Quiver are very affordable and have a lifetime garantee.

You didnt say if your setting this up for hunting or target shooting.
DB

Absolutley agree about the Tru Glow. The next tier of sights will cost you about 100+% more. I suggest that you get .019 optic size (I eventually found that the .029 size started covering up too much of the target).

Since you said you would be shooting target I highly suggest the drop away, but I am noticably biased against WB so I am not the best source of advice on this subject.

I shot Gold Tip Hunter XTs for my first 2 years in target and still shoot them for hunting. The only reason I went away from them is that I went to more specialized arrows for indoor (fat) and outdoor (thin) respectivly.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Minndroptine

Minndroptine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minndroptine View Post
Mathews Apex7, Copper John Dead nuts2 Competition .019 pins. Nap Smartrest, Vicory VX-22 HV arrows with Blazer x vanes 1.75 shield cut, Octane stab with Doinker 12", Amaerica's Best Bow strings.
Moved to Open: Still Apex 7, TRU Ball Axel 3000 sight with HHA Scope, Limb Driver rest and Vaportrail Strings, Same arrows and vanes, Posten Fat Max Stab with Sherwd 8 degree drop and Cartell full adjust v bar.