Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about
Default Baiting, yes or no

Is it allowed where you are? (where)
Do you bait? Are you OK with it?
I can't, nor do I want it here in Ma.
I'm talking feeders...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm not for it

It was legal in Michigan then they outlawed it, people still baited.They are about to legalize it again so here come the truck loads of carrots,corn and sugar beets.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough

Feeding is allowed here in MO but has to be removed from the "area" 2 weeks before hunting that "area". Now there is no clear definition to what or how big an "area" is considered. But mineral licks are legal year round as well as salt blocks. I don't really care for the idea of hunting over "bait" but I do hunt close to where my Mineral hole is.
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Cornfed

Cornfed is on a distinguished road

A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.
Cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
A big NO here in Illinois! In fact, we can't even put out minerals or a salt lick here without serious fines!!! If we want to "bait" here then we have to do it with foodplots.
Illinois is retarted, I dont like the idea of hunting over a bait pile but why not make mineral legal till September or something just for the sake of trail cameras?

Kinda like our stupid orange army regulations, solid blaze only. Because you know someone might mistake breakup blaze to be a game animal, right...
Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
luther1980

luther1980 is on a distinguished road

Im not big on the baiting idea myself,never done it personally,and never had an issue with harvesting my fair share of wilderness stew either....as the age old phrase goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol.....i do put out a few mineral blocks and salt blocks,but i use livestock blocks not them susposed specially formulated for deer blocks that cabelas and other outdoor companies would like you believe are the best.i use blocks cause they help the deer to maintain a better nutrient level and promote growth,and all out healthier deer.
Now what i really dont understand,is most of these guys baiting,are using corn........and theyre hunting in or on the edge of a friggn corn field?????either way it just isnt right in my opinion,just a way for some people to make hunting easier for them.whats the point of hunting if theres no challenge?i dont know bout yall,but thats the part i thrive for...being able out smart that animal,in its own natural habitat.
luther1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Unless you are the IL DNR then you can bait and use spot lights at night to shoot as many deer as you can find and have unlimited tags. Here's the best part, you even get paid by the tax payers to do this.
Do they have any openings?.....
Old 07-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

IN is a no KY is a yes so I've done both - the vast majority of my KY deer have been taken without bait. I just don't think it's a big deal one way or the other and normally we don't bother doing it.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by luther1980 View Post
Im not big on the baiting idea myself,never done it personally,and never had an issue with harvesting my fair share of wilderness stew either....as the age old phrase goes if it aint broke dont fix it lol.....i do put out a few mineral blocks and salt blocks,but i use livestock blocks not them susposed specially formulated for deer blocks that cabelas and other outdoor companies would like you believe are the best.i use blocks cause they help the deer to maintain a better nutrient level and promote growth,and all out healthier deer.
Now what i really dont understand,is most of these guys baiting,are using corn........and theyre hunting in or on the edge of a friggn corn field?????either way it just isnt right in my opinion,just a way for some people to make hunting easier for them.whats the point of hunting if theres no challenge?i dont know bout yall,but thats the part i thrive for...being able out smart that animal,in its own natural habitat.
Is it a challenge to hunt over bait....no, not really, but it can sure speed up the process of filling the freezer so you can move on to bigger and better deer. It also keeps the kids interested in going out if they are seeing deer. I don't really care if people over bait it's there tag, time and money.

And come to think of it I don't know anybody that has shot a quality buck off a bait pile.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

I go both ways.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
I go both ways.
Thats what we heard....
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

For those that can, do you still consider it hunting?
I look at it as harvesting. But then again, it's never been legal here either.
Of course, I've tried doe-in-heat scents, but they always seemed to scare away the resident does, and there goes the bucks that would have them. So for me, that kind of bait has not helped me bag a deer in 35 years.
But a food bait is in another class to me.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
red44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Is it a challenge to hunt over bait....no, not really, but it can sure speed up the process of filling the freezer so you can move on to bigger and better deer. It also keeps the kids interested in going out if they are seeing deer. I don't really care if people over bait it's there tag, time and money.

And come to think of it I don't know anybody that has shot a quality buck off a bait pile.
Sounds like deer harvesting to me. Not that it's wrong, and maybe I'm just hung up on what we call it, but it does'nt sound like HUNTING.
I think duck hunting is about the best way to get a young person interested. Pheasant or rabbit also if that's what your area holds. Sitting in one place for hours on end being silent is not for most youths.

Last edited by red44; 07-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
Do they have any openings?.....
congratulaions on tha son Bman I know you gotta be happy

If it is legal then it is legal
does anyone know what the reasons are for not or for it

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
congratulaions on tha son Bman I know you gotta be happy

If it is legal then it is legal
does anyone know what the reasons are for not or for it
I'm all for kids being able to bait or someone who can't walk that far(senior or poor health).Here's what I don't like.It alters the deer for there natural travel routes,they become lacksadaisy and don't have to forage for food and move less, they bed 50 yard's from the pile and it become's he who has the biggest bait pile Has all the deer.Then you have the people the don't know the difference between one pail of bait (the law) and a truck load.Now you have the guy who shoots ten deer and tags them with everyone else's tags (Elegal here).What happend to looking for funnels,topo's,bedding/feeding areas,trails and sign??

Last edited by vortec 1; 07-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

I'm in IL so no and i personally dont like the idea of hunting over bait but do what you gotta do i guess your not gonna make me mad if its legal and you hunt over bait
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
luther1980

luther1980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
I'm all for kids being able to bait or someone who can't walk that far(senior or poor health).Here's what I don't like.It alters the deer for there natural travel routes,they become lacksadaisy and don't have to forage for food and move less, they bed 50 yard's from the pile and it become's he who has the biggest bait pile Has all the deer.Then you have the people the don't know the difference between one pail of bait (the law) and a truck load.Now you have the guy who shoots ten deer and tags them with everyone else's tags (Elegal here).What happend to looking for funnels,topo's,bedding/feeding areas,trails and sign??
Finally someone on the same page as me lol
luther1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I never hunt over bait.
That said, whats the difference? unless you shoot a deer crossing a road or river, they are never more than a few inches from food.

to put it another way, I don't see any difference between the guy that dumps a bucket of corn on the ground, the guy that looks for oak trees, and the guy that plants a food plot. I consider all of it hunting but I don't hunt over a pile of corn. mostly because when I hunt in an oak tree I have to wait two hours after dark to get out of my tree because the deer will not stop eating the acorns and go away. not to mention it is no longer legal in PA special regs area.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Cornfed

Cornfed is on a distinguished road

For now, this is the "bait" I have to hunt over this season.

Bowhunting forum
Cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
ejg

ejg is on a distinguished road

I live in NW Arkansas and it is legal to bait here. I have hunted over bait, and have hunted over a field of corn and beans. I really don't see what the difference is. Corn in a plowed field or even standing corn is the same corn that is used for bait. If you think that hunting over a pile of corn is a guarantee that you will kill a deer, think again. Yes, you will probably see some deer and probably more than if you were hunting open woods. But you still have to get past their eyes, ears and noses. On top of that, if you are looking to kill a quality buck, odds are that you are not going to see him at a bait pile in the daylight. All the trail camera pictures I have of good bucks are late at night. Daylight brings out the does and young bucks. Once in a while a 2 1/2-year old may show up. I've seen more deer hunting a field of standing or cut/plowed corn than I've seen over a bait pile. For those that feel that hunting over bait is just "harvesting" deer, isn't that the goal for all of us? If it is legal, go for it. Personally, I would rather have a shot at a standing, calm deer than one that is nervous and ready to jump at the smallest sound. If it weren’t legal, I wouldn't do it. But since it is, I'll use it from time to time as another tool to use to put meat in the freezer.
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #22
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about

Ohio its legal.

I have put out salt and some corn. THe coons got more of the corn than the deer.

I think its no different than hunting over a food plot. If its legal and you want to do it then go for is my opinion. I dont see it as a bad thing.

I never understood the big deal to be honest.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
Where's Bruce?
Sponge 4 bowhunting info

Where's Bruce? will become famous soon enough
Default Not hunting

Parking your butt by bait is not hunting, at least, not according to the dictionary:

hunt·ing (hntng)
n.
1. The activity or sport of pursuing game.
2. The act of conducting a search for something: house hunting.

You are neither pursuing or searching for game, you are ambushing it at an artificial food source. That is killing, not hunting. No actual hunting skills required.

I had some options when i decided to hunt bears. Baiting was one of em but for me, shooting an animal that came in to the bait from the same direction, same time everyday for 45 days, wandered off in the same direction and had been photographed more than Paris Hilton...it just didn't feel like a "hunt" to me. More of a shoot. I declined. Went with hounds instead. Not nearly as tough as spot and stalk but a very physical pursuit (straight up) and exhilerating. Next bear will be spot & stalk with a bow.

BEFORE
Bowhunting forum

AFTER
Bowhunting forum
Where's Bruce? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Buckneer

Buckneer is on a distinguished road

No baiting or feeding in WI in CDW zones.
Buckneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #25
ropadop

ropadop is on a distinguished road

Baiting is not allowed in PA. It is allowed in OH and in SC where I have hunted. I don't have a problem with it. However, I think that those who don't bait overestimate the effectiveness of it. It is just another food source. If I sit over an apple tree, or a white oak that is dropping acorns, I am hunting a food source that is probably more effective than a corn pile. In late season, a corn pile will be effective, but most mature bucks will hit it at night in areas with any pressure. I don't begrudge the TX hunter in a box blind over a feeder any more than when I see 150"+ bucks walking around in broad daylight in a food plot on the Lakosky farm.
ropadop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

If its legal where you hunt, you'll see more deer and have a better selection of animals to shoot, Can't see baiting as any differnt than a food plot. Still have to be still and patient, just because theres bait on the ground does'nt mean the all the big bucks in your area will flock to it.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #27
red44

The difference to me is a feeder or dumping a corn brings them to a spot. A food plot or an area that has oaks does'nt. (unless your foodplot is a 10x10 area)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
plbowers

plbowers is on a distinguished road

in MD baiting is legal, and ive hunted or killed over bait, more does than bucks but , if u dont put the bait near deer so they can find it u might as well just feed the squarils, or chipmunks, ground hogs, .now that said in md u can kill 36 deer with out bonus tags , thats twelve per season, bow , muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, in some countys u can kill 2 bucks per season and unlimited does, they want deer dead period, funny thing is there are deer everywhere, so the dnr is trying to trank some does and give them birth control , thats bs if u ask me, estimated cost per deer is 5 grand . idk what md is thinking but something has to give. bait for kids and old foggies, or when u come to md .
plbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #29
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
The difference to me is a feeder or dumping a corn brings them to a spot. A food plot or an area that has oaks does'nt. (unless your foodplot is a 10x10 area)
x2x2x2x2x2
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #30
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
x2x2x2x2x2
X3 theres a huge difference between a couple acre food plot and a pile twent yards away
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #31
red44

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbowers View Post
in MD baiting is legal, and ive hunted or killed over bait, more does than bucks but , if u dont put the bait near deer so they can find it u might as well just feed the squarils, or chipmunks, ground hogs, .now that said in md u can kill 36 deer with out bonus tags , thats twelve per season, bow , muzzleloader, rifle/shotgun, in some countys u can kill 2 bucks per season and unlimited does, they want deer dead period, funny thing is there are deer everywhere, so the dnr is trying to trank some does and give them birth control , thats bs if u ask me, estimated cost per deer is 5 grand . idk what md is thinking but something has to give. bait for kids and old foggies, or when u come to md .
36 deer per year is'nt even comprehensible to me.
I guess with those kind of deer numbers almost anything goes, they just want rid of them. I can see why baiting would be allowed there. Perhaps some birth control in the feeders.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #32
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbowers View Post
How hard is it to get out of state tags. What do they charge for them.
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
eliterules

eliterules is on a distinguished road
Default every one hunts over bait!

Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.
eliterules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #34
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #35
red44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliterules View Post
Whether it was put there by GOD or you,you ALL hunt over bait,in some form or another,it could be,you are sitting in an oak grove that is bait,a persimion tree,that is bait a field of soy beans.So what does it matter if you can put a pile of carrots or apples or suger beets out to hunt over,i used to live and hunt in Michigan,and i hunted over piles of corn,carrots and suger beets and it dosent really make it any easier,because you have tha battle of the bait piles going on,he who has the biggest pile wins.At first it works then the deer get smart after getting shot at a few times,then they become knockturnel.
So dont get all worked up about hunting over bait,we all hunt over bait,wether you put it there or GOD put it there,if it is leagle dont bash it.
So why bother with bait at all then?
Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #36
red44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
One thing about making baiting legal is it would stop the neighbor who baits his property to mess with hunting adjoining properties.
How about making it illegal everywhere. Would'nt that do the same thing? You have to have the balls to drop a dime on your neighbor, but in the long run I think it would help clean up HUNTING.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #37
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Nope, making it illegal everywhere wouldn't change anything in regards to the antihunting type who puts bait out to affect his neighber's ability to hunt his own property. I'd be more inclined to allow baiting everywhere. I just don't see baiting as a big deal one way or the other. Most people who are against it live in a state where it's illegal and don't have much experience hunting a state that does allow it. Like I said I hunt KY every year and we normally don't bother putting anything out, it just doesn't make much difference in what we see. The disease issue has pretty well been debunked as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #38
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

I've been through this here in Michigan before and they are making it legal again. If you really don't want a challenge and just want to be a shooter ,than go for it!!! Here, you can buy as many tags as you want everyday. It's the shoot everything sindrum so why not make it easy for everyone to just kill all the does and button bucks.Just throw out some C'mere deer shake and bake and it fixes everything.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #39
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
why not make it easy for everyone to just kill all the does and button bucks.
It does seem to mostly attract little bucks and younger does. That's why I just can't get interested in baiting. Heck I can shoot young deer by accident all by myself, I don't need help! I know of 2 instances where people got in trouble with baiting because they were set up, that's why I'd just as soon see it made legal and forget it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
So why bother with bait at all then?
Bait is for fishing or trapping. Why not just put a hook in the bait pile and drag him in? You don't see a difference? Seriously?

So its okay for fish or fur but not deer? I dont understand that Red??

The end result is the same for all three.