Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
Kid Moe

Kid Moe is on a distinguished road
Default Dominant eye issue

Perhaps somebody already asked this but I need your advice... I went to my first archery class yesterday and realized that I have a dominant left eye while being right handed. I have shot from a pistol before and I was always leaning over the pistol far enough to see through the peep sight with the left eye. Coach told me not to do that in archery as it will create entire host of new ergonomic and shooting form problems.

What should I do? Should I close the left eye and aim only with my right one or switch to left handed bow? Switching seems to be difficult for me as my left arm is not as coordinated as my right one. I also read somewhere that aiming with both eyes open has much more benefits that aiming with just one eye.

PS: I would also like to try instinctive style where I understand peeps are not allowed and I will have to keep both my eyes open. If I continue using right hand bow it will be an issue...

Thanks for your advice.
Kid Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

I am right handed and left eye dominant and i own 4 boes, all left handed. I do know a few realy good shooters including an olympic hopeful that has the same eye dominance problem and learned to shoot with their right eye.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Kid Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
I am right handed and left eye dominant and i own 4 boes, all left handed. I do know a few realy good shooters including an olympic hopeful that has the same eye dominance problem and learned to shoot with their right eye.
Well that's the issue I have... I should either close my left dominant eye (which I hear is not the best option), or do what you did and start with left handed bows... Was that difficult for you?

Thanks...
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default I had the same issue

Right handed but left eye dominate,

I shot right handed for years by buying extra short draw lengths and crossing my head over the bow string to look through the peep. It worked well and I shot alot of deer that way.

When I got more serious about target archery I ended up switching everything over to left hand. It greatly improved my accuracy once I got use to the switch. I started out feeling clumsy and at a low draw weight but that feeling didn't last long, maybe a month. By that time I had the bow turned up to a decent weight.

The biggest draw back I found to switching is buying all your equipment again, it gets pricey buying everything all over again.

Good luck
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Kid Moe

Thanks for your help... I will definitely switch to left handed bow... Luckily I still didn't buy any equipment so I will not have any extra costs...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
srj26

srj26 will become famous soon enough

Good choice switching to lefthanded early. A friend of mine didn't find out out he was left eye dominent until buying all righthanded equipment and after a year or two he gave it up and switch to lefthanded. Made a bigg difference for him in his accuracy. So consider the switch money in the bank.
srj26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Right handed but left eye dominate,

I shot right handed for years by buying extra short draw lengths and crossing my head over the bow string to look through the peep. It worked well and I shot alot of deer that way.

When I got more serious about target archery I ended up switching everything over to left hand. It greatly improved my accuracy once I got use to the switch. I started out feeling clumsy and at a low draw weight but that feeling didn't last long, maybe a month. By that time I had the bow turned up to a decent weight.

The biggest draw back I found to switching is buying all your equipment again, it gets pricey buying everything all over again.

Good luck
Should I now call you Gator Dominate Left Eye??? LOL
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

i learned of my eye issue early in life with bb guns and 22's and adapted to lefty and shoot OK. I used to think that was the only option. Now Ive seen left eye dominant people shoot right handed and train thier right eye to take over, Im just saying it can be done both ways, but probably not for every shooter with a dominent eye opposite of thier dexterity.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Major257

Major257 is on a distinguished road
Default Definately switch hands

I have taught hundreds of people how to shot an M-16 and other rifles and I know it isn't archery but they all shoot better with their dominate eye. Muscles can be trained but your eyes never seem to change. I had this problem with my daughter last year and ended up asking the same thing you did not thinking that it would be the same as all those soldiers I have taught and just like you I got the same advice from these guys and others. The sooner you start to training your muscles the better you will be.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major257 View Post
I have taught hundreds of people how to shot an M-16 and other rifles and I know it isn't archery but they all shoot better with their dominate eye. Muscles can be trained but your eyes never seem to change. I had this problem with my daughter last year and ended up asking the same thing you did not thinking that it would be the same as all those soldiers I have taught and just like you I got the same advice from these guys and others. The sooner you start to training your muscles the better you will be.
I first time I learned how to shoot a rifle left handed was compliments of the USMC.

It took all of about 5 minutes for the rifle instructor to see what was going on, He instructed me on how messed up I was and switched me around to left hand shooting.

Then he told me I was still messed up but at least I would be able to shoot straight.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Take it from a guy that is left eye dominant and shooting RH for 40 years. If you don't have a lot of money tied up in bows yet and are relatively new to the sport then change to left handed shooting.

You can train the brain somewhat but as you get older it'll get worse trying to aim. I used to be able to aim fairly well as is, but as I get older and they eyes change it's harder to get the right eye to take over to aim. Whereas I used to be prety close to the bullseye when I anchor now I find that I'm about 2' left at 35 yards when I come to full draw.

I've tried all sorts of form changes changing feet position and such, but it doesn't work. You can try shooting with the left eye closed or getting a blinder for on a hat bill, but the overall best solution is just to change from RH to left hand. It'll feel weird for a while, but eventually muscle development and memory will kick in.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

My son had same problem. He went to a left handed bow and his shooting greatly improved.
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote