Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default Do ya really think Fred done it this a-way?

You see ton of shows, books, and mag. articles on how, when, and where to shoot deer.

I'm gonna do a show on how not to shoot a deer. I think I had the perfect weekend on how to screw up a deer hunt.

Friday night I just plain misjudged the wind and sat with the wind hitting me in the back all night. I told myself to move to another stand but really just didn't feel like pickin up all my stuff and moving. Didn't see a hair except for one real wacky squirrel that decided he wanted to jump from his tree onto my tree stand, while I was in it although one perfectly place kick when he was jumping from tree to stand conviced him to stay away from me for the rest of the night. Strike one

Sat. night. Had a nice 8 point walking through at 15 yards wind was in my face and he had no idea I was there. I waited for him to get behind a tree to draw my bow back and then he stopped, right behind the tree with me at full draw. So I wait, and I wait, and I start shaking but still I wait. Just about the time I decide there is no way I can hold this bow back anymore he steps out. Now I got the shakes going on and my form fell apart 30 seconds ago but I think...I can do this and proceed to sink a slick trick deep in a pine tree. Strike two

Sunday morning. A cool 20 degrees or so out finds me all bundled up sitting up in a tree. A nice 1.5 doe is heading my way and I think "Well it's time to break this bad luck streak and put some meat in the deep freeze" I like to shoot standing up so I stand up and I slowly raise my bow and start drawing and snap she looks right at me. So there I stand once again with the bow fully extended but not fully drawn, and once again I play how long can I hold my bow in this position. Let me tell you a 4 pound bow get heavy real fast when you holding it at arms length. Just about the time that beeds of sweat start forming on my brow she looks the other way. I say to myself "Perfect" and start to draw again........aauuugghhh!!! ain't happening, my arms are so tired I can't pull it back. Between the long hold on saturday and holding the bow up for so long waiting for the doe to move I was all done. So off she goes on to live another day. Stike three

I'm out

I went to the bar for the afternoon hunt................I struck out there too

Lets hear about your perfect ways to screw up a hunt.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up I love it, but i shouldn't

Gattor: pound:
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default I think it's funny too!!

Last year, a buddy of mine say's hey,can you check out my stand set up and go ahead and sit in it for the evening hunt. So I get way the heck back there and the stand is to low,sky linning and no cover what so ever out in the middle of nothing.I sit in it any way since I went all that way. A half hour before dark, a doe comes in and I watch her and her fawn for about 15 min while looking back for Mr white horn's and then like text book, here he comes.New bow,first year with a string loop and a new release,I figure I better draw before he get's to me so I raise my bow and sure enough the doe snort's,the buck stop's and here I am with the doe to my left looking at me with my bow still raised and I'm looking at the buck to my right and can't move for like 10 min.Findly the buck start's to head my way so I'm still holding my bow all this time extended out and I attempt to do what I call a still hunt draw(very slow,like not moveing at all). Bad idea, when I got it back, I could't get past the brake of the cams, I may as well been trying to lift a brick wall,no way so I ease up, the arrow lunges forward,the buck looks up at me, I knew he had me so I just pointed my bow at him like you got me!! then I have the buck still to my right snorting and the doe to my left snorting for about 10 min.At that point ,I just wanted them to move on. Findly I just got down and they were still in the distance snorting. I did move my buddies stand the next day.

Last edited by vortec 1; 11-01-2011 at 12:26 AM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes you just got to throw your hands up and say you got me.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Westy
Aussie Member

[QUOTE=Gator eye;302200
Sometimes you just got to throw your hands up and say you got me. :[/QUOTE]

YOU GOT ME LOL
Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Don't stop, pull through to full draw. Stopping did'nt help, right? At the least you might get away with it and get off a shot. We all can flat-out blow a shot, but at least get yourself in position to be able to pull the trigger.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

You ever watch those old vids? Fred would be shredded in todays world. He did it the hard way but put a few poor shots on as well as a few great shots. He was as human as us.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

You're not alone. I finally had something come in range that wasn't a spike or a fork. I hear one coming and it stops behind some brush - 25yds or so. Mills around for 5 min and then pops out, OK it's a doe - not a big one but it's a legit target! She heads my way (severe quartering toward) for 5 yds and beds down almost facing me head on Great, I get to educate a deer at dark when I climb down. I catch a little break when a half hour later she gets up and heads straight in to my stand (why does this always happen when it's bow season, not when you have a rifle in hand?) I watch her walk right under me and about 5yds past she turns somewhat to give me a possible quartering away shot; (finally) time to draw. As I draw I hear this nice scrapping noise of my arrow sliding across the rest; so does the doe. She trots off a little behind and to the right of me mills around looking my direction trying to figure out what the that was. She ended up walking off behind me with no chance of a shot. Maybe the guys using WB's have it right. I'm almost glad gun season is about here so I can blast a few of the rotten creatures.

Last edited by dbdcougar; 11-02-2011 at 10:42 AM.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Gator eye

Good to hear I'm not the only one having a off season.

I told myself last night I was going to break the chain of bad luck and shoot the first deer I saw.

One came through right before dark but she was so small I couldn't see waisting a 15 dollar tag on dinner for two. I went home and shined up the muzzle loader.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Good to hear I'm not the only one having a off season.

I told myself last night I was going to break the chain of bad luck and shoot the first deer I saw.

One came through right before dark but she was so small I couldn't see waisting a 15 dollar tag on dinner for two. I went home and shined up the muzzle loader.
Hey, dont think like that!!! the good hunting is commin up!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
I hear you; I swear if 1 more 1.5yr old buck stops 20yds out broadside we're going to be eating Leg-O-Forky this winter
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

In the last two days I drew back 7 different times on does and never let an arrow fly there was always brush in the way a bad angle our a step in the wrong direction if that makes you feel any better
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Gator eye

Kind of........at least now I know I'm not the only one having a off season.

Like Vortec said the best hunting is coming up, I'm feeling a cough coming on which I'll probably need a day or two off work to recover from.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Had a buck at 25yds this morning as soon as he broke cover he turned and his butt was facing straight at me - I just can't catch a break this bow season.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
Had a buck at 25yds this morning as soon as he broke cover he turned and his butt was facing straight at me - I just can't catch a break this bow season.
Why didn't you shoot him in the "BLURT" it normally removes a few teeth at the same time
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Last night I saw 7 deer , 4 bucks and 3 does one of the bucks was a 140 class 8 and every deer walked under my tree except him he was at 38 coming straight at me and then a little buck got to close to his girlfriend so he turned and ran him off and made a big loop and met up with her on the other side of me I had him within 80 yards from 440-6 and he never offered a shot once .... If only I had the omega
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Gun season next weekend, and they won't be so lucky then
Old 11-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
Gun season next weekend, and they won't be so lucky then
I got my muzzleloader out to check the scope. No problems there, put three shots in the X ring on a five spot target at 100 yards. I'm ready

I did finally break my bad luck with a doe this weekend. It was alittle on the warm side so I skinned her right away and forgot to take pics.... I'll pull the hide back out tonight and snap a few tonight.