Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Archery, How To Section

Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
wyoming4x4

wyoming4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Stabilizer technology

I'm currently stepping off into competitive archery indoor shoots. Constitution 50lb 29.5"draw. X7 cobalt arrows. I come into a deal on shrewdstabilizers and couldn't pass up for my set up. My guy that helps me out tells me things and helps out tremdiously. But I want to know more! What makes a stabilizer a good stabilizer and certain setups for different situations. I'm learning about different releases and purchased a chocolate lite. What is back tension shooting or release. I see it on video but not sure what I'm seeing. I really enjoy the technical side of this sport but in the end its all about form and consistancy and have a long ways to go. I shoot well but I see people who shoot awesome. What happen to our olympic shooters not much said on what happened or how they did??
wyoming4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
harleyryder
bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple

harleyryder is on a distinguished road

They do make a differance,let me tell you a story.I've spent the last week trying to get my bow to shoot broadheads to no avail.Same set-up as last year.Completly wore out my BH target shooting groups that looked like a shotgun blast .My FP's ..excellent grouping.Tore my bow down checked every little part, reset it to exact spec's, same as last year.FP's =tight groups out to 60 yards, BH's Yuck !! same set-up as last year................. except I changed stabilzers ?????? Rumaged thru my junk drawer, found my old one, put it on now it shoots tight groups again,I don't have any advice to offer you as to which one for you to try but differant ones react differantly.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Mels stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
I'm currently stepping off into competitive archery indoor shoots. Constitution 50lb 29.5"draw. X7 cobalt arrows. I come into a deal on shrewdstabilizers and couldn't pass up for my set up. My guy that helps me out tells me things and helps out tremdiously. But I want to know more! What makes a stabilizer a good stabilizer and certain setups for different situations. I'm learning about different releases and purchased a chocolate lite. What is back tension shooting or release. I see it on video but not sure what I'm seeing. I really enjoy the technical side of this sport but in the end its all about form and consistancy and have a long ways to go. I shoot well but I see people who shoot awesome. What happen to our olympic shooters not much said on what happened or how they did??
Balance is what I want. I want the bow to hold dead still in my hand.

Several good stabilizers on the market

Shrewd
'Doinker
Cartel
Posten
AEP

Olympic archery the Koreans seem to have that stuff lock upo. But they did lose in the mens this year.

Chocolate lite is a good release.

Carter. Scott, Truball and Stans, Zenith all make good releases.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
wyoming4x4

Default shrewd / Octane

I'm currently playing with shrewd stabilizers. Learning to shoot with but still figuring out how much weight I need to be dead still. Also have some octane stuff ordered and figuring it out. I'm very strong through the shoulders and need a little weight. My constitution is 49lb 29" X7 cobalt. I"m considered a large shooter I powerlift on the side to keep in shape about 285lb give or take on a normal day.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
3dhunter

3dhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 3dhunter
Default Hope this helps...

Hey Wyoming,

Reading the other post I'm not sure they answered all your questions, so I'll give it a shot.

A Good stabilizer does THREE things (not in any order); 1) Balances forward after the shot, 2) Takes shock out of the shot (which your parallel limbs also do, 3) Helps balance left and rights. You also asked, "...and certain setups for different situations." I'll go with what I think your asking... As long as they follow the before mentioned.... For hunting situations anything 12" or less; for 3D's almost anything goes, but if you go with anything over 12", you'll probably be in the pro class. For serious spot shooters your looking for a "3'" stabilizer and/or additional side stabilizers; these will seriously help with the three before mentioned areas.

"What is back tension shooting or release". This is what I teach my students; I can usually 'show' it better than explain, but here goes... once your 'ready' to shoot, lightly touch the trigger but not enough for it too go off. Now pull your rhomboid muscle together, slowly and consistently; during this time your trigger finger should never move. As you pull with your rhomboid muscles, you trigger finger with slowly, don't pull it yourself though, move backwards towards your elbow, causing the release to go off (surprisingly), which is what you want.

As far as sighting; you'll never truly hold completely still, sight in, then 'see' the target and everything will line up.

Good shooting, and if you have any questions, www.kamarchery.com
3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
wyoming4x4

Default Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dhunter View Post
Hey Wyoming,

Reading the other post I'm not sure they answered all your questions, so I'll give it a shot.

A Good stabilizer does THREE things (not in any order); 1) Balances forward after the shot, 2) Takes shock out of the shot (which your parallel limbs also do, 3) Helps balance left and rights. You also asked, "...and certain setups for different situations." I'll go with what I think your asking... As long as they follow the before mentioned.... For hunting situations anything 12" or less; for 3D's almost anything goes, but if you go with anything over 12", you'll probably be in the pro class. For serious spot shooters your looking for a "3'" stabilizer and/or additional side stabilizers; these will seriously help with the three before mentioned areas.

"What is back tension shooting or release". This is what I teach my students; I can usually 'show' it better than explain, but here goes... once your 'ready' to shoot, lightly touch the trigger but not enough for it too go off. Now pull your rhomboid muscle together, slowly and consistently; during this time your trigger finger should never move. As you pull with your rhomboid muscles, you trigger finger with slowly, don't pull it yourself though, move backwards towards your elbow, causing the release to go off (surprisingly), which is what you want.

As far as sighting; you'll never truly hold completely still, sight in, then 'see' the target and everything will line up.

Good shooting, and if you have any questions, www.kamarchery.com
Well thanks for the info. I've been shooting 450 vegas 20 yrds. Done several shoots and now got myself into the 440's pretty regular. But the problem is some of the guys I shoot with are 450 to 449 everytime they shoot. It is very impressive to stay that consistant. Some day I'll get their. I tried some octane 30" with 11.5 backs stabilizers but felt heavy. I could shoot good for a while but the weight would affect my shot in the later rounds. It did look cool in black. Now have a 36" shrewd and some weight and backs stabilizer. Been experimenting with string stop and like the way it feels in the hand but I see more movement in my stabilizers and site wiggles a little more. Fixed one problem but created another. On the release its a carter chocolate. I think I'll shoot this until this season is over and then learn back tension this late spring and summer. I do enjoy this sport and the discipline. I've shot other competitive sports and enjoy the competition.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip! I'm always looking for a new method to do anything.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

they say on Archerytalk Coach Bernie stabilizers work the best in mens locker room showers.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
they say on Archerytalk Coach Bernie stabilizers work the best in mens locker room showers.
And to think Wheele sent me a PM about being to rude on this forum

care factor 0000000000000000000:laug h:Good 1 C.C

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
v3505

v3505 is on a distinguished road

Although sound advise from above, a back tension release is a release with no trigger. By watching a video, it would appear the bow just went off on its own. If used correctly, it delivers a smooth "surprising" shot every time. and that's my $.02.
v3505 is offline   Reply With Quote