Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Clubhouse Lounge > Offtopic

View Poll Results: Will the jet take off and achieve flight?
Yes, it will take off no problem 11 45.83%
No, it will sit stationary and never take off 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Riddle

Ok, here's a riddle for you...

You have a 747 sitting on a huge conveyor belt. This conveyor belt is controlled by a computer that precisely matches the speed of the conveyor to the speed of the jet, only going the opposite direction. When they throttle up, will the jet be able to take off?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 is on a distinguished road
Default ridle

oops almost blew it
ridgewalker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
dodgensince74

I said yes, but like I always say "what the heck do I know ".
Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

You have a 747 sitting on a huge conveyor belt. This conveyor belt is controlled by a computer that precisely matches the speed of the conveyor to the speed of the jet, only going the opposite direction. When they throttle up, will the jet be able to take off?
I say No, because the lift that the plane needs is gotten by air passing over and under the wings. Without forward progress the plane will not get the air required to give it lift... then again I could be completely off
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

I refuse to answer......

or all of the above....

neither of the above....

why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.......
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
I refuse to answer......

or all of the above....

neither of the above....

why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.......

Drive on a parkway? I think that depends on which parkway your reffering to
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Nope

Just spinning the wheels
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter is on a distinguished road
Default No

If they have the belt set to match the speed of the Jet the forces/speed will be equal and not allow forward motion. If the jet is moving left to right and the belt is moving right to left then the force/speed is equal. Unless I am having a brain Cramp which is possible. The wheels should not be moving. So like Dreadly said there will not be any uplift from air flow.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
A.S.A. IL. State Director
CSS Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
dodgensince74

the reason I said yes is because the engines are pushing the body of the plane and not driving the wheels like on a car, so in my figuring the plane should still be able to move foward. But then again like I said before, "what the heck do I know".

How long do we have to wait for the correct answer????
Old 12-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough
Default Only a guess...

I would say No..

I believe the plane relies on air to lift it off the ground. With the conveyor going the opposite way it won't create the wind resistance needed to lift the wings of the Jet.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSS Shooter View Post
If they have the belt set to match the speed of the Jet the forces/speed will be equal and not allow forward motion. If the jet is moving left to right and the belt is moving right to left then the force/speed is equal. Unless I am having a brain Cramp which is possible. The wheels should not be moving. So like Dreadly said there will not be any uplift from air flow.
not moving yes......but they are spinning.....
Old 12-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

No airflow no lift. Having said that we need to thing about this a little more carefully.

The thrust from the engines have nothing to do with conveyor belt. If it were a car, for example, the car would not move. If the airplane's wheels were driven then the airplane would have an issue for sure. We don't know if the airplane was moving forward and if so what the airspeed was and what airspeed would be required to allow the wings to provide the necessary lift to raise the aircraft from the ground.

Speed of the conveyor vs. the speed of the jet...

I am changing my vote to "We don't have enought information to answer yes or no"....

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 12-19-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
dodgensince74

Quote:

if you read the riddle it says the conveyor belt is going to spin at the same speed the plane is moving, not at the speed the planes wheels are spinning. Riddles usually are in tended to throw you off. The only thing the conveyor belt is going to do is make the tires spin at twice the speed that it normaly would. The plane would continue as it would on any run way, just the tires speed would be affected, so if the plane is moving then the plane will have lift which will get it off the ground.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

you all are reading too much into this one I think.....
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
you all are reading too much into this one I think.....
isn't that what riddles are all about??
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #16
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

I think its going to push the conveyor so fast that it will catch on fire, then it will not work, but the plane will be close to taking off, but they used up to much of the runway, trying to keep it on the stupid conveyor, then a big gust of wind will come up and blow the plane over sideways causing a wing to hit the ground, wich causes the plane to skid out of controll sideways into the west end of the airport, wich was thankfully not in use due to construction..... Thats what i think will happen!!!!

Then the new riddle is how long dose it take to fix the airport?
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #17
bullspotter

O i also voted yes it will take off, moving air makes planes fly not wheels turning, you hold a 747 wide open throtle..... uhhh it pry will move.... Thats my guess any ways... so chris, when you going to reveil the proper awnser here....... some of us might loose sleep!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #18
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
I think its going to push the conveyor so fast that it will catch on fire, then it will not work, but the plane will be close to taking off, but they used up to much of the runway, trying to keep it on the stupid conveyor, then a big gust of wind will come up and blow the plane over sideways causing a wing to hit the ground, wich causes the plane to skid out of controll sideways into the west end of the airport, wich was thankfully not in use due to construction..... Thats what i think will happen!!!!

And I thought I was reading to much in to this riddle
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
And I thought I was reading to much in to this riddle
yeah sometimes he is an overreading overacheiver........
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
bullspotter

na i cant read relly well good or spelll veyr good, but i am a overreacheirver....... hehe just like someone else on here who needs a ......
Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

can I change my vote to, maybe it will, maybe it wont.
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Dredly
Site Guru

If the plane doesn't move then it won't create any lift.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 is on a distinguished road

from what i understood in physics class (very little), there's no way the plane can take off, the plane will have no net movement in the forward direction. with no forward movement, it cant get any air to run over the surface of the wing to create lift. the wheels have nothing to do with the flight, if the plane itself isnt moving, it cant fly...i could be wrong, but this is how i look at it...
hoyt_hunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #24
bullspotter

the plane is not driven by the wheels.... its driven by air movement by the engines.... the air WILL push the plane forward, it will move forward no matter what the wheels do!! I say it will take off.... Dosent matter whats going on with the wheels....
Old 12-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
the plane is not driven by the wheels.... its driven by air movement by the engines.... the air WILL push the plane forward, it will move forward no matter what the wheels do!! I say it will take off.... Dosent matter whats going on with the wheels....
if the wheels are not free spinning then the plane will fall off the back of the conveyer....SO IT DOES matter what the wheels are doing....the wheels may not be what drives the plane foward but if they are not spinning then it is like the breaks are on.......
Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #26
olman

olman is on a distinguished road
Default heres my take on it

Invision this,
Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the conveyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the jet engine. When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So are the wheels on the car. If you push the car forward on the belt the the engine would be not at the same speed as the conveyor. Therefore the jet is not making any forward progress, so lift isn't being made around the wings for it to take off.
Well that settles this one, next question please
olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #27
hoyt_hunter007

Quote:
Originally Posted by olman View Post
Invision this,
Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the conveyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the jet engine. When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So are the wheels on the car. If you push the car forward on the belt the the engine would be not at the same speed as the conveyor. Therefore the jet is not making any forward progress, so lift isn't being made around the wings for it to take off.
Thats exactly what i was trying to say, but you made it make more sense...thanks man
Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #28
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Boy did I open a can of worms or what!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #29
olman

olman is on a distinguished road
Default sooo Chris

What do you do Chris sit back & boggle your mind with questions like this one? Heres something a little more simple & fun. Tie your shoe. Now tie it again, only make your right hand do what your left hand just did & left hand do what your right hand did. Basicly switch roles of your hands. See you've been tying your shoes the same way for years know you don't think about it you could even tie them in the dark if you had to but now you have to think about it, it's kind of like learning all over again. Most people I've tryed this on can do it but it takes time tying is all.
Merry Christmas everyone
olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #30
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by olman View Post
Invision this,

Invision this,
Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the
converyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the engine.
When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So do the wheels on the car.

But if you push the car foward once you have set it on the belt the car continues on and that is even with the belt moving faster then the speed of the car, why you ask? Because your hand is like the engines on the plane, both car and jet are being put in motion by a force that is not transmited to the tires which are setting on the belt.

There fore the jet will continue with its foward motion even with the belt spinning at the same or faster rate then the jet is moving.

Get your belt sander out and try it, place your kids car on it and see if you can roll it on it. You will be able to roll you car against the rotation of the belt with out have into push it any faster then if sander was turned off. The only thing that would be different with the sander off or on is the speed at which the tires turn.

Like you said, "Well that settles this one, next question please".
Old 12-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #31
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
Invision this,
Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the
converyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the engine.
When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So do the wheels on the car.

But if you push the car foward once you have set it on the belt the car continues on and that is even with the belt moving faster then the speed of the car, why you ask? Because your hand is like the engines on the plane, both car and jet are being put in motion by a force that is not transmited to the tires which are setting on the belt.

There fore the jet will continue with its foward motion even with the belt spinning at the same or faster rate then the jet is moving.

Get your belt sander out and try it, place your kids car on it and see if you can roll it on it. You will be able to roll you car against the rotation of the belt with out have into push it any faster then if sander was turned off. The only thing that would be different with the sander off or on is the speed at which the tires turn.

Like you said, "Well that settles this one, next question please".
Yeah I finally got tired of thinking and looked it up... rack one up for Dodge!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html
Old 12-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #32
hoyt_hunter007

interesting...i seriously think someone should send this in to mythbusters
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #33
justiadak

justiadak is on a distinguished road

Quote:

yes it will take off because it isn't pushing against the force of the conveyor it is pushing against the force of the air.
justiadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

Time to recycle this one !

Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #35
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

yes maybe no

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

yes it will take off.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

It now might cost extra if there's alot of baggage !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #38
shark3

shark3 has a spectacular aura aboutshark3 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
It now might cost extra if there's alot of baggage !

what does it cost if you just take your sacks

Red. PSE Supra ME
Black. PSE Supra ME
shark3 is offline   Reply With Quote