Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 12-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default After 5 years I think I'm burnt

Usually this time of year I'm knee deep into indoor season, shooting every night. Fine tuning, adjusting, more practise, driving to shoots, league's ect....

This year I'm just not feeling it. I ve shot a 299 standing on the line in Vegas, but 299 is a far cry from the 300 I practise for. Shot 300 58x on a five spot and a perfect 60x game still seems like miles away. I feel like I gave it my best and still came up short. I just don't feel like spending hours on end standing on the practise line just to come up short another year.

I started shooting last night and it felt like work so I put the bow down and walked away.

Maybe I should take a year off. I mean if it's not fun why do it?

I walked away from shooting 3d this year mid-season for the same reason.

You ever burn yourself out?
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
montigre
Tidewater Member

montigre is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have burned myself out in the past--not with archery, but with another athletic endeavour. I'm not really sure putting the bow away will resolve the issue or bring back the "love" when you decide to pick it up again because your focus that got you to this point would still be there.

I suggest rather than taking a hiatus from shooting, that you alter why you shoot in the first place. Instead of grilling yourself for that elusive 300 game (I have only shot one and that was in practice, so it does not count... hehe) or perfect x count, focus on really perfecting an aspect of your form or an aspect of your mental game and put the score totally on the back burner. I'll bet dollars to donuts (where did that term come from anyway???), in time, you'll be able to aproach the sport again with a fresh, new outlook and renewed appreciation of why you really do love this sport.
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Good answer.

I still like talking to my archery friends and going to league's and such, maybe I'm just tired of keeping score.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I burned out a long time ago for the indoor game. I'm getting older (64) and the eyes and muscles aren't getting any better so I've come to realize that that elusive perfect score isn't going to happen. And yes, it isn't fun trying to achieve an impossible goal.

However, I do still enjoy shooting, just that my expectations aren't what they once were. Add to that is that I get to practicing and after about a dozen shots or so I end up hanging up the bow and helping some of the younger shooters with improving shooting form and adjusting their bows to fit them better. Anybody that asks for help gets my best effort. To me it's just about as satisfying seeing others get better. In other words, give a little something back.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

45 what a great age??? Gator with your other commitments now pending is it little wonder you feel this way??? I suffered 2 burnout in my life, so please listen to the signals they are telling you something Old mate???If I knew you were nearly as good at shooting as Myself I wouldn't hang on you nearly as much!!!I felt like this last year just gone and if it isn't fun then who wants to do it!!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Usually this time of year I'm knee deep into indoor season, shooting every night. Fine tuning, adjusting, more practise, driving to shoots, league's ect....

This year I'm just not feeling it. I ve shot a 299 standing on the line in Vegas, but 299 is a far cry from the 300 I practise for. Shot 300 58x on a five spot and a perfect 60x game still seems like miles away. I feel like I gave it my best and still came up short. I just don't feel like spending hours on end standing on the practise line just to come up short another year.

I started shooting last night and it felt like work so I put the bow down and walked away.

honestly, i have never burned myself out of shooting. the ky deer season runs from sept. till mid jan. and by the time jan. gets here i am burned out on hunting but not shooting. that miss on the 12 ring seems to give me the drive to go to another shoot. i have been shooting since the mid 80's and i guess i just love this sport that much or either i dont have another life.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

I had family issues the past few years and after gun hunting , I'm back !

I got to find my bows and get my second family going , as I love treestand hunting and need to start shooting my bows !

It's what I'm going to do , I think !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Renegade88

Renegade88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Find your fun again. Remember what it is you love about archery and do it for that reason.

I got burnt out traveling to all the ASA shoots a few years ago and thought I was done with 3d. Now I just shoot local shoots with friends and enjoy 3d again. That's my 2 cents you can keep the change.
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Gator eye

It sounds like I'm not the only one to ever hit this wall.

I think I'll just relax alittle and quit trying so hard for that perfect game.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough

You got to know that there will always be limits , and that one may never reach all of a person goals in life .

I will only be shooting to return to deerhunting and bowfishing again , as I still belong to an archery club with an indoor range and does both indoor and outside 3D shoots plus league shoots in 3D and spots !
Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
wicked ridge

wicked ridge is on a distinguished road

Some times i haft to make myself go to work i am not going to make myself go
to a shoot ANY MORE lots of times i would get to a shoot and wish i would have
stayed home the people you shoot with makes a big difference don't know if
i will shoot this year or not?
wicked ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote:

I went gun-ho into 3D when I first started shooting back in the late 90's alot , but figure that the fastest way was to lie , but the heck with that !

You have score higher than yours trully , I did a 294 once , while in league with my Jennings Buckmaster back in the late 90s !

I just figure that I'm not a spot shooting guru and who cares anyway !

Wish you well , but a 299 is great by my standards !
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
I went gun-ho into 3D when I first started shooting back in the late 90's alot , but figure that the fastest way was to lie , but the heck with that !

You have score higher than yours trully , I did a 294 once , while in league with my Jennings Buckmaster back in the late 90s !

I just figure that I'm not a spot shooting guru and who cares anyway !

Wish you well , but a 299 is great by my standards !
This was out of 400
right??????

Old 12-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
Where's Bruce?
Sponge 4 bowhunting info

Where's Bruce? will become famous soon enough
Default Jmo

We excel at those things that give us our greatest, most fulfilling joy. When that suffers...so does the rest. When uncertain, trust your gut. I do.
’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver w/ riser-mounted Stealth Cam EPIC videocamera.
Where's Bruce? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

In the Last few years I have gotten burned out on shooting outdoor 3d, I was never the best at judging yardage so I had to work really hard on it. Just dont have the time for that with a 3 year old and another on the way. Indoor 3d in the winter is still a great way for me to get out of the house, I have always been a perfectionist so i kinda gravitated back to indoor target and field round over the last few years and love it. I do still love 3d but when I have the choice over a 3d or a Field round I go to the field. Sometimes you just need a different perspective or goal to achieve, try reading Lanny Bassham's "With Winning In Mind" great book

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Just get a new bow that should do it.........
Old 12-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMustFall View Post
Just get a new bow that should do it.........
ya that works too!

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
This was out of 400
right??????
Westy , you sometimes give it away why you must be taken by the hand and showed how archery really is !

I know you are kidding as I once shot next to a guy who shot a 59x 299 and yours trully was the score keeper ! It's still a 299 and those Xs don't mean a thing until it's a 300 at some shoots !

Now you know !
Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
Westy , you sometimes give it away why you must be taken by the hand and showed how archery really is !

I know you are kidding as I once shot next to a guy who shot a 59x 299 and yours trully was the score keeper ! It's still a 299 and those Xs don't mean a thing until it's a 300 at some shoots !

Now you know !
Had you going right????

Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Beings that you asked !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Had you going right????
Yes if that's what you want to see ?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #21
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

Things that tend to wear against us causing burn out.

Dwelling on scores versus the game itself and the camaraderie that can develop.
A lack of interest in the sport when your old shooting friends move on.
Setting yourself up, trying to shoot in a class that in turn puts more pressure on yourself versus having fun with the game and shooting in a class that carries your average more so. Pressure and challenges can be good, but there still is a reality check that needs to be in place in order to enjoy the game and yet excel in the sport towards the next level.

Those that push theirselves hard as far as scores and ranking with others tend to see more emotional ups and downs in the game.

Job changes, injuries, relocations and family matters can also wear on the urge to shoot as one did prior. Heck even in this sport as emotionally and mental as this game is, just a change in what happens to some of you’re old web site friends and hangouts can change the attitude towards the urge to participate in the game.

All in all a change in the game, backing off some, and as stated a new bow can all perk a drive to shoot again. Some folks just take longer to get back in the saddle again then others.

Give it a change or some time or different approach and keep what was a blast and fun years prior a chance to give you many more.

Just a few thoughts

Jeff

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
hoytultratec
aka SETTHEHOOK

hoytultratec is on a distinguished road

I been burning myself out the last few years, 2 indoor leagues in winter, during the summer 2 3d leagues,shoots and tournaments every weekend, shooting was loosing its fun, decided Im not shooting this winter in any leagues or shoots, only shooting will be in my basement fixing me! and trying to get more consistant!

The last few years i been dealing with back,neck,shoulder issues....sometimes the flame is put out because of the health issues. oh well i havent shot a target since sept and i love it!! im really looking forward to the 3d season (outdoors).

PSE Vendetta XL,Limbdriver,Doinker,Fatboys,Easton Axis
hoytultratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #23
Gator eye

Went down in the basement and shot around 10 arrows. They all felt real good so I decided to stop right and not turn it into work.

Got league's starting tonight, I think I'm going to leave it at one league this year and shoot weekends by feel.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #24
Gator eye

All went well, I went into league's last night with no expectations on my score just to shoot and have fun.

Dropped 2 points in the first 2 rounds then cleaned it intil the last 2 rounds and dropped another point in each, that left me with a 446 out of 450. Not to bad for the amount of time I put into practise these last couple of months.

All this time and I still can't control the pressure of starting a new round and finishing out a good score.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

That is still really good shooting! Now, the most important thing, did you have fun doing it?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby'smom View Post
That is still really good shooting! Now, the most important thing, did you have fun doing it?

Why yes I did.

Hoping to put alittle practise in and hang on to those last few points next week, maybe alittle bit of break was what I needed.