Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road
Default what will he score now and next year

this is one of the deer on one of the farms i have been hunting in ky. he is a 12ptr. me,my woman,my son and my daughter has already killed our bucks for the season but i definately have something to look foward to next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I bet he is in the 130/140 range. it is hard to tell without seeing the spread. a nice buck for sure. I can never tell what they will be next year. if he has plenty of food and stays healthy he could be in the area of 160/170. if not he could be smaller than he is now.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkersonhunter View Post
this is one of the deer on one of the farms i have been hunting in ky. he is a 12ptr. me,my woman,my son and my daughter has already killed our bucks for the season but i definately have something to look foward to next year.
if you wantta take that deer it is a good time for what I can teel of the limited pic he is 4 to 5 years old

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

I think he's in the 130's, like Ohansolo said, hard to tell without spread. I think next year he will probably be a little bigger maybe 140 but he will put on more mass if the food source is good.He looks to be a 2 1/2 year old.Nice Buck!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Renegade88

Renegade88 is on a distinguished road

No idea what he would score. Think you need to ground check him next year and let us know.
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
No idea what he would score. Think you need to ground check him next year and let us know.
looking very foward to doing so. he looks to have only a 16"ish spread. i am guessing that he would push the low 150's maybe. anyway he will be a shooter for sure next year. i got these pics after i had already shot my full velvet 10ptr opening week of ky's archery season.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
looking very foward to doing so. he looks to have only a 16"ish spread. i am guessing that he would push the low 150's maybe. anyway he will be a shooter for sure next year. i got these pics after i had already shot my full velvet 10ptr opening week of ky's archery season.
he beeter not walk under my tree this year

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 12-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Mid 130's is my guess. Could be a nice mid 140's next yr. Adding 30" in one yr. is streching the hope meter quite a bit tho. Hopefully he makes it thru the winter. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

thanks, i hopefully will be there in the area with him next year. i honestly think he is in the lower to mid 150's and next year he will push the 170" mark
Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Default Go get em!!!

The reason I think he's in the 130's and 2 1/2 is because although his body is good size the rack does'nt have the mass that they start putting on at 3 1/2.He also doesnt show the croked nose or age in the face. While I wish for you he could grow 20 inches of more antler in a year, I don't know that they can,JMO. Go to Google Images and type130 class buck then 150 then170.The one you see here is a mid 130's buck I got a few years back and he's 3 1/2.
Once again, he's a very nice buck and if he walked under me I would shoot him!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vortec 1; 12-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Around here a buck dont get this size at only 2.5yrs old. i am thinking he is at least 3.5 yrs old. let me know the age and score on the big 8ptr i killed several years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #12
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

Quote:
Around here a buck dont get this size at only 2.5yrs old. i am thinking he is at least 3.5 yrs old. let me know the age and score on the big 8ptr i killed several years ago.
First off very nice 8 pointer!!! He looks to me to be around 4.5,great mass nice tines.I believe him to be somewhere in the mid 140's.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Hard to tell with that pic but I'd say mid/upper 130s and it looks to be a fairly young deer ... Great potential for the future
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
First off very nice 8 pointer!!! He looks to me to be around 4.5,great mass nice tines.I believe him to be somewhere in the mid 140's.
he was aged at 5.5 yrs old and he offically scored 158" and change and netted 149" and change
Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
The reason I think he's in the 130's and 2 1/2 is because although his body is good size the rack does'nt have the mass that they start putting on at 3 1/2.He also doesnt show the croked nose or age in the face. While I wish for you he could grow 20 inches of more antler in a year, I don't know that they can,JMO. Go to Google Images and type130 class buck then 150 then170.The one you see here is a mid 130's buck I got a few years back and he's 3 1/2.
Once again, he's a very nice buck and if he walked under me I would shoot him!!!
maybe tha the is moving his mouth but that muzzle shore looks short from that angle

Old 12-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #16
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

typically, on that farm from past years. i have hunted it since 1992 and a 2.5 yr old roughly scores in the 100" range give or take 20" but a 3.5 yr old will score in the 125" to 135" range and a 4.5 yr old and older will hit the 150" mark. thats why i think he is a 4.5 yr old. i may be wrong but i think he is a 4.5yr old.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

I don't think I missed the mark too bad on the score considering it's from a pic of a deer with it's ears tucked back so you can't tell the spread and when it's mounted, you really can't see the age in the face.I can only go by what age it would be around, from the area's I hunt.It could be my area and your area differ. there’s one piece of property I used to hunt years ago where a 3.5 mite score in the 90’s to 100 and it was an area that had good food sources but just had poor genetics and that was 10 minutes West of where I live.There’s a piece of property I hunt 10 minutes East of me that if he’s 2.5, he’s probably going to hit in the 110 to 120’s. So maybe my area and your area are just not comparing apples to apples. Anyhow good luck getting him!!!

Last edited by vortec 1; 12-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

where I live yearlings are button bucks. 1.5 year will have 3-5 points and be around 30-50inches. 2.5 year are 6-9 points and round 80-110 inches. 3.5 years 6-12 points 110-130 inches. 4.5 years I have seen anywhere from 120 to 160 inches with as many as 15 or as few as 7 points. beyond that I have seen some strange things.

we all like to compare our deer to others but there are several subspecies of whitetail deer on this continent and some (like me) even have deer that are a cross between two subspecies. I have a friend of the family that works in a lab where they analyze bear teeth for the state to determine age and we have given him several teeth from deer so lots of deer my friends and family have shot we know exactly how old they are and it can be very tricky trying to determine the age of a deer. last year my father in law shot a real nice 10 pointer around 130 net and my wife's uncle shot a nice 8 in the 120s. we sent the teeth to my friend and what came back was surprising. the ten point was 4.5 years old and the 8 point was 7.5 years old. we guessed that they were about the same age. both deer were taken with bows two weeks apart and only about ten miles from each other. both deer looked very healthy. I don't know why the older deer was not bigger than the other maybe just genetics but we learned that you can't always go by looking at the rack face and belly.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

keeping corn out in that area so i can maybe fine his sheds in a few weeks when i get out looking.