Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
alaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 236
alaz is on a distinguished road
Default One bow for 3d and spots...?

What would it be?
Like to hear some thoughts...maybe something out there I am not considering.
thanks.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
rpford53
Member
 
rpford53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 167
rpford53 is on a distinguished road
Default

For me it would be the PSE Supra. I say this becuase of cost, speed, and shootability.
__________________
Bob
If I can't hunt in
heaven, I don't wanna go
Shoot straight, and aim
for the 12 ring.
rpford53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
kebees4
Senior Member
 
kebees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 354
kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default

I shoot an Athens Exceed for both. Very smooth draw cycle and at 60# its shooting 311 FPS for 3D. I shot 298 and 34 X's last night and this was first outing since last fall shooting 3D. There was 4 of these bows at spots last night. It has 37" ATA with 7" brace.
__________________
Athens Factory Staff Shooter
Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
K&E Taxidermy
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
kebees4
Senior Member
 
kebees4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 354
kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default

I shoot an Athens Exceed for both. Very smooth draw cycle and at 60# its shooting 311 FPS for 3D. I shot 298 and 34 X's last night and this was first outing since last fall shooting 3D. There was 4 of these bows at spots last night. It has 31" ATA with 7" brace.
__________________
Athens Factory Staff Shooter
Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
K&E Taxidermy
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

If I had to choose one bow does it all I would look at a Contender Elite with 2000x limbs. Easily get over 300fps with this bow and the right arrow but built to be very stable forgiving bow. The Alpha Elite might be a good choice too, but the one I owned had great speed but seem to be a very unforgiving bow. If your form wasn't spot on it showed on the score card.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
mr_smith7410
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
mr_smith7410 is on a distinguished road
Default

G5 prime centroid smooth great wall great speed. will tune any arrow you want to shoot. go give one a try dont think you will be disapointed.
mr_smith7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
alaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 236
alaz is on a distinguished road
Default

I am leaning toward the Bowtech Specialist and the Dominator.
I love the idea of the Centroid, I just wish it was longer...falls on the wrong side of 35" for my taste. String angle is an issue for me as far as comfort.

I love the idea of the Specialist...I shot one, feels great, love the cam system, just would be not happy if the limbs start flaking!

The Dominator has great specs, I own a Supra, so should be an easy transition.

Right now that is my debate. I shot the VE+ with spirals and the GTX cam and prefered the GTX cam. The bow was very nice, but I prefered the feel of the Specialist. I shot the AE and CE, and prefer the VE+.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Pretty much every bow made now a days...within reason...will do it all. Unless your a really short draw guy...or hunt with a short bow with a longer draw...33" or less with a 28"+ draw. Any bow you shoot well will pull double duty.

They are all fast enough for 3D for the most part...unless they are one of those bows that are "over rated" speed wise even my sub 28" draw can get 280+ from every bow I would shoot target with. Everyone of them also if you are capable of doing your part will also shoot 60X indoors or 300 Vegas round.

I shoot a 35" bow that isn't a speed burner for EVERYTHING....hunting, field, indoors, 3D. I have two of them and just swap out arrows and stabs for the most part. It shoots broadheads awesome...of all the 5 spot rounds I have shot in the past two years I have only shot 2 rounds that weren't a 300 and they were 299s and only two of the 20-30 rounds have been less then 50Xs and they were rounds that I was setting up the bow after changing strings. I have also shot great field scores with the bow.....

Find a bow that FITS you and you will know it when you shoot it.....nobody else is going to be able to tell you what you should shoot. Figure out what you need and like in a bow and then find the bows that fit that mold and start narrowing them down.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
alaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 236
alaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
Pretty much every bow made now a days...within reason...will do it all. Unless your a really short draw guy...or hunt with a short bow with a longer draw...33" or less with a 28"+ draw. Any bow you shoot well will pull double duty.

They are all fast enough for 3D for the most part...unless they are one of those bows that are "over rated" speed wise even my sub 28" draw can get 280+ from every bow I would shoot target with. Everyone of them also if you are capable of doing your part will also shoot 60X indoors or 300 Vegas round.

I shoot a 35" bow that isn't a speed burner for EVERYTHING....hunting, field, indoors, 3D. I have two of them and just swap out arrows and stabs for the most part. It shoots broadheads awesome...of all the 5 spot rounds I have shot in the past two years I have only shot 2 rounds that weren't a 300 and they were 299s and only two of the 20-30 rounds have been less then 50Xs and they were rounds that I was setting up the bow after changing strings. I have also shot great field scores with the bow.....

Find a bow that FITS you and you will know it when you shoot it.....nobody else is going to be able to tell you what you should shoot. Figure out what you need and like in a bow and then find the bows that fit that mold and start narrowing them down.
I am close...I've tried quite a few...just asking to see if there are any I missed. Unfortunately it is not easy to try certain "target" oriented bows as dealers tend to not stock them.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust
 
wilkersonhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: in gods country
Posts: 1,246
wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
What would it be?
Like to hear some thoughts...maybe something out there I am not considering.
thanks.
the hoyt carbon matrix
__________________
truball shooting staff
2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
member of the 160" 8ptr club
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I am close...I've tried quite a few...just asking to see if there are any I missed. Unfortunately it is not easy to try certain "target" oriented bows as dealers tend to not stock them.
What are you looking for really? What is your draw length? What length bow do you like? Do you like certain manufactures? What type of cams do you like? Are you an ASA or IBO guy? Everyone wants a FAST bow for 3D I will take a setup shooting in the 280 fps range that knocks the bottom out of the dot over any setup shooting 320 fps for target every time.

You really don't need to shoot them all IMO...well at least I don't. Reason I say that is because if you have shot a Hoyt....you know what the cams are like and you know what they feel like. So if you think you will like a VE over a CE then go for it even if you have only shot the CE. If you have shot a Supra....you have shot a Dominator Pro....yes it's a shoot thru and a little longer...but you know what PSEs are like. Its just a different model. If you have shot an Elite Pure....you know the Tour is just a little longer and slower. You don't really need to shoot them all from a company....know what you like or are looking for. A Hoyt isn't going to feel like a Mathews and a Mathews isn't going to feel like a PSE. All Hoyts fell the same they are just different versions.

Your never really going to know what a bow will do for you just from testing with a few shots. Your really not going to know until you get it setup for you.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust
 
wilkersonhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: in gods country
Posts: 1,246
wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
What are you looking for really? What is your draw length? What length bow do you like? Do you like certain manufactures? What type of cams do you like? Are you an ASA or IBO guy? Everyone wants a FAST bow for 3D I will take a setup shooting in the 280 fps range that knocks the bottom out of the dot over any setup shooting 320 fps for target every time.

You really don't need to shoot them all IMO...well at least I don't. Reason I say that is because if you have shot a Hoyt....you know what the cams are like and you know what they feel like. So if you think you will like a VE over a CE then go for it even if you have only shot the CE. If you have shot a Supra....you have shot a Dominator Pro....yes it's a shoot thru and a little longer...but you know what PSEs are like. Its just a different model. If you have shot an Elite Pure....you know the Tour is just a little longer and slower. You don't really need to shoot them all from a company....know what you like or are looking for. A Hoyt isn't going to feel like a Mathews and a Mathews isn't going to feel like a PSE. All Hoyts fell the same they are just different versions.

Your never really going to know what a bow will do for you just from testing with a few shots. Your really not going to know until you get it setup for you.


well said
__________________
truball shooting staff
2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
member of the 160" 8ptr club
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Well one thing for sure i'm glad Mathews don't shoot like hoyts
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
sweet old bill
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 226
sweet old bill is on a distinguished road
Default

Brown Hornetwhatmfgis the 35 inch bow you shoot ?
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 532
Allen is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpford53 View Post
For me it would be the PSE Supra. I say this becuase of cost, speed, and shootability.
Same here. There are a lot of great bows out there. The Supra seems to work well for me.

A great thing about the Supra is that my shoulders stopped hurting after about 3 days of shooting it. I didn't think that any bow would make me give up my beloved Hoyts, but this one did.

Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Well one thing for sure i'm glad Mathews don't shoot like hoyts
They do shoot like them....in the middle of the dot. They don't feel like them....big difference in feel and shooting
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
Brown Hornetwhatmfgis the 35 inch bow you shoot ?
Hoyt Katera XLs....
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
They do shoot like them....in the middle of the dot. They don't feel like them....big difference in feel and shooting
Truth is they both shoot so sweet and there both great bows but if i started shooting a Hoyt i'd only be running with the crowd
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
alaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 236
alaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
What are you looking for really? What is your draw length? What length bow do you like? Do you like certain manufactures? What type of cams do you like? Are you an ASA or IBO guy? Everyone wants a FAST bow for 3D I will take a setup shooting in the 280 fps range that knocks the bottom out of the dot over any setup shooting 320 fps for target every time.

You really don't need to shoot them all IMO...well at least I don't. Reason I say that is because if you have shot a Hoyt....you know what the cams are like and you know what they feel like. So if you think you will like a VE over a CE then go for it even if you have only shot the CE. If you have shot a Supra....you have shot a Dominator Pro....yes it's a shoot thru and a little longer...but you know what PSEs are like. Its just a different model. If you have shot an Elite Pure....you know the Tour is just a little longer and slower. You don't really need to shoot them all from a company....know what you like or are looking for. A Hoyt isn't going to feel like a Mathews and a Mathews isn't going to feel like a PSE. All Hoyts fell the same they are just different versions.

Your never really going to know what a bow will do for you just from testing with a few shots. Your really not going to know until you get it setup for you.
I agree about not knowing how a bow works for you till you have it for some time.
Just asking to see if I am not considering some options. I prefer 36" and longer ata's. My DL is 28.5" and string angle is very important too me (I am not into steep angles). I am 6' with fairly long arms, and shoot a hinge if that matters. I had to drive 3.5hrs to try VE, AE. Both were nice...I like the VE quite a bit better, but the spirals were not for me. I have shot a Supra and I own a Supra with L6 cams.
My short list includes a Supra ME, Dominator and Specialist. The Specialist felt great, stiffer on the draw than the Supra, but not spiral stiff. The bow felt very nice overall, with a very crisp break at the release (similar to spirals in that regard). I know this is stupid, but the limb finish potential issues just annoys me.

The one bow I still would like to try is the Prime Centroid. The obvious issue with that bow is the ATA. I owned a vendetta XL (35" ata) and that bow was more than fine with regard to string angle. But the cams are larger than the Centroid.

There are some bows I would like to try and see in person (Martin Sceptor V, Maitland Zeus/ Session, outside interest in a Moxie), but probably wont happen.

I personally prefer Hybrids and dual cam/ binaries (whatever I can call them without getting in trouble). Not interested in single cams. I love the Hoyt VE and Bowtech Specialist grips, and PSE is also a very good grip for me.

Like I said, just asking to see if there is another bow out there I am not considering...
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Truth is they both shoot so sweet and there both great bows but if i started shooting a Hoyt i'd only be running with the crowd
Either shoot what you shoot best or buy what you want to be like everyone or be different.....

Either one of the last to scenarios puts you in the group that those that shoot well in the crowd don't pay attention to when it matters
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I agree about not knowing how a bow works for you till you have it for some time.
Just asking to see if I am not considering some options. I prefer 36" and longer ata's. My DL is 28.5" and string angle is very important too me (I am not into steep angles). I am 6' with fairly long arms, and shoot a hinge if that matters. I had to drive 3.5hrs to try VE, AE. Both were nice...I like the VE quite a bit better, but the spirals were not for me. I have shot a Supra and I own a Supra with L6 cams.
My short list includes a Supra ME, Dominator and Specialist. The Specialist felt great, stiffer on the draw than the Supra, but not spiral stiff. The bow felt very nice overall, with a very crisp break at the release (similar to spirals in that regard). I know this is stupid, but the limb finish potential issues just annoys me.

The one bow I still would like to try is the Prime Centroid. The obvious issue with that bow is the ATA. I owned a vendetta XL (35" ata) and that bow was more than fine with regard to string angle. But the cams are larger than the Centroid.

There are some bows I would like to try and see in person (Martin Sceptor V, Maitland Zeus/ Session, outside interest in a Moxie), but probably wont happen.

I personally prefer Hybrids and dual cam/ binaries (whatever I can call them without getting in trouble). Not interested in single cams. I love the Hoyt VE and Bowtech Specialist grips, and PSE is also a very good grip for me.

Like I said, just asking to see if there is another bow out there I am not considering...
I hear ya....and I agree. I will start by saying....let's be honest here. Your not Dave Cousins. He can shoot the Prime well because he shoots EVERYTHING well. But that is not a bow I would recommend to anyone looking for what your looking for with what you like in a bow. I can shoot the crap out of a Carbon Element but I sure wouldn't buy one for target purposes. You have a longer draw....and like you said you preferred the VE over the AE...the main reason for that is ATA comfort.

If you like the VE you have options....spirals aren't the only cam that comes on that bow. You can still get them with the GTX cam. If you like the Specialist and some other harder drawing cams....you would like spirals IF they are setup correctly. I have drawn and shot plenty of peoples bows with spirals on them that I wouldn't shoot and can understand why people don't like them. But I have also been shooting them since they came out in 2002 or so. Spirals suck when you don't have them setup correctly. I would say that probably 65% of the spiral setups I have come across in the past few years since they got popular outside of the select few are setup incorrectly.

I like the Specialist. But not enough to buy one over a Hoyt. But they are sleepers for sure. I was very impressed with the one I tried for sure.

The Scepter V....I wouldn't touch shoot it if you gave me one for free...and they paid me.

I am VERY impressed with the Maitland bows....I just haven't gotten my hands on one yet. But I have been interested in maybe picking one up. I have a couple buddies that are shooting them and have been for awhile.....so I may have one in hand before long.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
alaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 236
alaz is on a distinguished road
Default

It is true...I am not Cousins, but I am trying
And you are right...I know in my heart that the Prime Centroid is too short for my tastes. I just like the direction they are going in and the bow intrigues me. If that bow was offered in 37"...maybe next year especially considering it is garnering attention in the target arena.

I shot the spirals at 55% LO at 53#. I shot the GTX cams at 60# (maxed) at 65% LO.

I prefered the GTX...simply b/c of the LO. The bow draws nice, very little valley. You're going to bash me for this..but I was turned off by the amount of cam lean. This bow was off the shelf at Lancaster. The problem is that I am not proficient at tuning a bow, and have zero familiarity with spirals. The Specialist is just more straight forward to tune (for me). I like the efforts to address lean. I am picky (I have OCD).
I have been shooting my Supra confidently. I am in no rush and love my bow, just looking for one more bow. As you mentioned the similarity of the Dominator to the Supra makes it a safe and comfortable choice. I get a little more forgiveness (spec wise) and an overall platform with which I am comfortable.

I would like to hear your thoughts regarding the lean I observed on the VE+. That same day I saw a Hoyt shooter there with a VE+ (spirals) and his was quite lean free, but he really tinkered with it. So much so that he turned one of the top yoke pegs on the axle the opposite direction in an effort to bring the cable closer to the cam.

Last edited by alaz; 01-31-2012 at 07:22 PM.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

I knew people would think the Prime is getting real consideration in the target market. It ain't happening folks....well it is but only by the people that will shoot anything that a top shooter shoots just because they shoot it. Its the same way with everything. Those same guys all bought and sold VEs when they came out when Reo and a few others won with them. Dave is shooting decent scores with that bow. But if you really watch him shoot it....he is struggling shooting that thing. He doesn't shoot it as well as he did the shorter Hoyts they had him shooting.

The VE and spirals will give you the exact same letoff as one with GTX cams will. They are adjustable. You just have to move the peg. I shot my spirals on 65% letoff....just needs to be in the right peg hole. There are either 3 or 4 on the cam depending on which size you have.

the cam lean you observed was due to the bow not being setup.....if you can't set it up then the shop you buy it from better know how to set the bow up or your screwed no matter what you shoot I have had at least 10 bows with spirals on them and none of them had cam lean issues....neither have the 2 Katera XLs I shoot now or the Hoyts I had with C2s. They just need to be setup correctly to begin with. I still use a floating yoke but I do not use the short legs that most do. My yokes legs are never shorter then 10" each.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
Either shoot what you shoot best or buy what you want to be like everyone or be different.....

Either one of the last to scenarios puts you in the group that those that shoot well in the crowd don't pay attention to when it matters
As it seems I'm the only person here who shoots a Mathews z7 Mag and isn't afraid to admit it here!!!!Why are Hoyt shooters so up themselves?????
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #25
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
As it seems I'm the only person here who shoots a Mathews z7 Mag and isn't afraid to admit it here!!!!Why are Hoyt shooters so up themselves?????
Thought you weren't worried about what others thought about what you shot....

I had NO CLUE what you shot....nor did I care. You could shoot a Hoyt and even if I knew it the response I gave would have been the same based on the comment you made.

Why would you be afraid to admit what you shoot???? It's your bow....

Hoyt shooters are up on their gear because it is good gear.....PERIOD. Shooters that are up on themselves are usually some what good...unless they are simply smoke blowers. But my comment had zero to do with specific equipment or being up on ones self.

But fact of the matter is.....I have friends that make comments like you made....and know others that will make the same comment at shoots. Fact is those that shoot well aren't worried or don't think about those shooters when it comes time to start putting arrows in the target like I said.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Hey hornet not wanting to get into it,But what did Matt Mcpherson do except produce a very nice well balanced Bow????? It seems everytime i mention the M word on this site 3 stupid A$$holes want to tell me how great Hoyt is and what a crock of **** Mathews are?????I've shot both and enjoyed both just whats there problem????These comments are not directed at you in anyway whats so ever it's just what i've noticed here on this site!!!!!
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Couldn't tell you....I know I am kind of disappointed with them as of late as they have 700 bows under 34"

But as far as the bows go....they are good arse bows. I have had my share of their bows...actually the only bows I have ever owned other then Hoyt were Mathews and Martin. I had a Q2, Q2XL, 3 A7s, Apex 8 and a Prestige. I love the C4 just don't like it better then what I can get from Hoyt.

Heck I am buddies with one of Mathews top 3 Pros....and friends with a few other of their top Pros. They make good stuff....but for me they are kind of spinning their wheels in the sand. The idiots your talking about are the same idiots I wish didn't shoot what I shot
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
stubby'smom
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 82
stubby'smom is on a distinguished road
Default

If you liked the Specialist when you shot it, don't be afraid to go for that bow. I don't think you will be disappointed. Worst case if the limbs do flake (I think they addressed the finish for 2012) Bowtech will replace them or another fix is to cover them with a sharpie and clear nail polish. This bow is just a sweet shooter.
__________________
Proudly representing BowTech, Oak Ridge Archery, Vaportrail, Gold Tip, Dead Center Archery Products and CNC slings for the 2012 season
stubby'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
bloodtrail1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 51
bloodtrail1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Right now Im shooting my 2011 Elite Tour for spots and this same bow will be my 3-D bow. Just slide in another CBE bar, take out the clarifier peep and replace with open peep aprature, grab my 3-D arrows and Im good to go.
__________________
2009 Elite XLR Ninja
2009 Elite XLR Black/Snow limbs
2013 Bear Method
bloodtrail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
12-RING SHOOTER
Junior Member
 
12-RING SHOOTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 8
12-RING SHOOTER is on a distinguished road
Default

Alot of good choices, find a bow 35+ ATA that draws the way you like it. currently im shooting a pair of Elite XLR's for spots and 3d,Im 16 with a 27"dl im getting a whopping 260 fps shooting fatboy 500s and im shooting very good, currently im shooting a indoor 3d money shoot with a alot of very good 3d shooters..im sitting tied for 3rd in qaulifiers so the speed isnt holding me back much.

Spots Im stuck in the Mid 50s on Xs...its all me! someday i will get some mental game!

good luck with your decision.
12-RING SHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #31
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12-RING SHOOTER View Post
Alot of good choices, find a bow 35+ ATA that draws the way you like it. currently im shooting a pair of Elite XLR's for spots and 3d,Im 16 with a 27"dl im getting a whopping 260 fps shooting fatboy 500s and im shooting very good, currently im shooting a indoor 3d money shoot with a alot of very good 3d shooters..im sitting tied for 3rd in qaulifiers so the speed isnt holding me back much.

Spots Im stuck in the Mid 50s on Xs...its all me! someday i will get some mental game!

good luck with your decision.
How many lbs do you shoot and what's your arrow weight? Reason being is my bow isn't much faster then yours and my draw is only 3/4" longer....I get almost 290fps from my outdoor setup on 57.5 lbs with a 318 grain arrow.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Hey hornet not wanting to get into it,But what did Matt Mcpherson do except produce a very nice well balanced Bow????? It seems everytime i mention the M word on this site 3 stupid A$$holes want to tell me how great Hoyt is and what a crock of **** Mathews are?????I've shot both and enjoyed both just whats there problem????These comments are not directed at you in anyway whats so ever it's just what i've noticed here on this site!!!!!


I think there are more like 5 of us stupid a$$hole.........but who's counting.


Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
12-RING SHOOTER
Junior Member
 
12-RING SHOOTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 8
12-RING SHOOTER is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
How many lbs do you shoot and what's your arrow weight? Reason being is my bow isn't much faster then yours and my draw is only 3/4" longer....I get almost 290fps from my outdoor setup on 57.5 lbs with a 318 grain arrow.
60# arrows 319 gr, XLR with cudas just isnt fast, but it shoots! my VXL with a 305 gr lightspeed hits 280 to 282.
12-RING SHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
Brown Hornet
Senior Member
 
Brown Hornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hornet's Nest
Posts: 511
Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12-RING SHOOTER View Post
60# arrows 319 gr, XLR with cudas just isnt fast, but it shoots! my VXL with a 305 gr lightspeed hits 280 to 282.

That bow is plenty fast enough that you should be getting more then 260fps from it. The IBO rating on my bow is a whopping 5fps more then yours....

My draw is longer then yours by 3/4" but that would only be about a 6-8fps difference at most....you shoot 2.5-3lbs more then I do so that washes out my longer draw. Our arrow weight is the same basically.....but my speed is 28fps more????

Something is off....I have a few buddies that shoot that bow. Its not a barn burner but it's not that slow and I was shocked that your only getting 260 from it. Heck when I shot 3D a lot I shot a Pro Tec that had an IBO of 310fps. With a 320 grain arrow on 58lbs at 27.5-27.75" draw I was still over 280fps. Ya gotta be able to get more then 260 from that XLR
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #35
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
I think there are more like 5 of us stupid a$$hole.........but who's counting

It feels like 500 when you all start picking on me!!!!! Leave me and Britney alone!!!! you nasty Homo Hoyt Boys
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #36
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

Did you cut all your hair off........AGAIN?

Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
Westy
Aussie Member
 
Westy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland Australia
Posts: 8,204
Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Did you cut all your hair off........AGAIN?

Afraid So old Mate and K-Fed won't talk to me either!!!!!!Think I'll get a new tatt to cheer me up !!!!!Anyone seen Slippy????
__________________
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
hoytultratec
aka SETTHEHOOK
 
hoytultratec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 100
hoytultratec is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
That bow is plenty fast enough that you should be getting more then 260fps from it. The IBO rating on my bow is a whopping 5fps more then yours....

My draw is longer then yours by 3/4" but that would only be about a 6-8fps difference at most....you shoot 2.5-3lbs more then I do so that washes out my longer draw. Our arrow weight is the same basically.....but my speed is 28fps more????

Something is off....I have a few buddies that shoot that bow. Its not a barn burner but it's not that slow and I was shocked that your only getting 260 from it. Heck when I shot 3D a lot I shot a Pro Tec that had an IBO of 310fps. With a 320 grain arrow on 58lbs at 27.5-27.75" draw I was still over 280fps. Ya gotta be able to get more then 260 from that XLR
Hornet, thats my kid. the bow is in spec, cams timed perfect. we go to a very good shop and tuner, hes actually getting around 262 263, wish it was a bit faster, shop owner shot a XLR for ASA and was right at 280 with a 29.5 dl. would 2.5 inchs of dl get almost 20 fps? i know IBO is 316 or 318 so the speed seems close.

Really not to concerned the between him and the bow they do the job, he would make the compound comedian look like a sally lol!

Probably ordering a Dominator 3d after this summer 3d season is done.
__________________
Elite Pure, Limbdriver,Doinker Fatty's,Vaportrails,Fatboys

PSE Vendetta XL,Limbdriver,Doinker,Fatboys,Easton Axis
hoytultratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com