Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking How's archery doing in your neck of the woods ?

Is it growing where you live , as there are maybe enough hunters here in the westcentral part of Iowa , but fewer 3d SHOOTS , fewer clubs and few proshops left , as alot of archers buy from the larger retailers that are about an hour and half away , cause you have to now , almost !

How is archery doing in your neck of this world of slinging arrows ?
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

not good. the club I belong to has shut down. a few years ago we had a 100 plus members. went down to 3 members. not enough money to pay the taxes on it. dont know what will happen to the building and land. the last president would only have spot shoots. which is way down here. need to get into ASA maybe and have some 3D shoots?????????. open to any suggestions.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

kind of wierd . archery equipment sales is around normal . but leagues shooters are down for 3rd year in a row . 4 years ago i had 80 shooters this year 36 but walkin shooting is up .
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
muck

muck is on a distinguished road

The shop I go to is almost always buzy and there are more shoots this year than last year. but we'll have to see how the turnout is.
muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Well good News here????Our club still has 190 members and we have20 new members this year!!The weird thing is though the local pro shops ae all closing down bar 3 and the one I use is looking a little shakey!!!!!They blame E-Bay but the truth is they have somewhere between 50-70% mark-up on there prices ,compaired to E-bay or the net IE: Capellas!!!People don't mind being taken to the prom but there not going to be XXXXXXXX as well!!!serves them right I say!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
vertigo

vertigo will become famous soon enough

Not in any club as there aren't any within an hour's drive from me worth a hoot and the wife and I wanted to try our hand at 3D this year.
I'll be Da&^ed if I buy a big ticket item such as a bow from the big box store.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Westy
Aussie Member

Check this mob out????They make even smokes look Refined We have a rule here you have to wear shoes while shooting??? Pants are optional though????
Attached Thumbnails
General Archery Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Westy; 02-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Here in ky, its at about its peak. there are a few shooters around. our club had 66 shooters at last months shoot.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
12-RING SHOOTER

12-RING SHOOTER is on a distinguished road

It does pretty good in my area, mostley hunters in my area so the 3 clubs in the area that have 3d shoots over the summer set them up short and not real difficult, we do alot of traveling to get to the bigger clubs with tougher courses and more competition. typical 3d shoot by us will pull 30 to 50 shooters..I think the clubs could do better with things that would help make there shoots better.

See a good amount of kids shooting youth leagues, but have a feeling after them leagues the parents and kids are not pursuing archery farther.

the future of the sport is the kids..without them involved it could hurt in the future.
12-RING SHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Our shoots were off 14% last year and it was the same the year before that. I'm hearing similar reports from the other clubs around the southern half of the state as well. We think the economy/gas prices etc. are what is hurting us.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Check this mob out????They make even smokes look Refined We have a rule here you have to wear shoes while shooting??? Pants are optional though????

Well that's kind of dissappointing.......................not a single safari hat in your whole group of mates.

Not even a single foster's to be found on the table or in hand.

No dead roo's..... or even alittle croc layin around..........

why for all we know you could be in BFE Iowa.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Well that's kind of dissappointing.......................not a single safari hat in your whole group of mates.

Not even a single foster's to be found on the table or in hand.

No dead roo's..... or even alittle croc layin around..........

why for all we know you could be in BFE Iowa.
How could you tell??? Did you notice the 3 ft of snow laying on the ground??????

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
upnorth

had my first indoor 3d tourny of the year yesterday and today use to get 35 to 40 shooters had 7 yesterday .let you know what i get today .
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
had my first indoor 3d tourny of the year yesterday and today use to get 35 to 40 shooters had 7 yesterday .let you know what i get today .
Now thats really bad sorry to here this!!!!Maybe if the equipment was put back to the price normal people could afford to pay it might make a differance?????

Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Our Clubs paper shoot (5 spot 300) got about 11 shooters the last time we had it about three years ago , and we stopped doing it , but we got about 44 shooters a few weeks ago at our first indoor 3D this year , which is fine as we had 70+ alot for that !

We have an animal league every week !
Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
upnorth

ended up with 15
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
allen newell
kerplunk

allen newell is on a distinguished road
Default Archery strong in north east

Our club is located in south eastern massachusetts. We have 325 members and continue to take new members each month. Archery remains strong in our area. Housing development puts limits on hunting with shotguns for large game but seems favorable for the archers in our area. I think the challenge for any club wanting to grow their archery program is multifold; build a strong committee with competent leadership, focus on all member archers and non member guest archers 'as your customers'; look for ways to offer an appealing program, be creative, develop new revenue streams for archery, get a youth (joad or after the school program going), really think outside the box. This may be easy to say (it is) and many clubs face great challenges today, but archery is such a great sport that it's worth all the hard work.

we are members of the Tri-County 3D League which is comprised of about 12 area clubs. we hold between 3-4 league 3d tournaments per year and last year we decided to hold back to back saturday and sunday shoots to offer archers the opportunity to shoot either day or both and as insurance against one bad weather day. Our committee has made the commitment to move towards 100% rinehart targets (we're at 80+% today), we've added a few additional lanes on our 3D course and change target locations and stake distances from tourn. to tourn. the course is never set up the same and we make many shots very challenging. we are working hard in the kitchen to offer quality food for both our all you can eat country breakfast and our lunch menu. on average we see 100+ archers at the club on most tournament days. our youth program is thriving, we have 4 certified instructors with 2 going forward for their level 2 cert this coming May. we hold 2 3D youth tournaments each year,. these are run on pretty much a cover our cost only basis as our objective is to get the kids interested in outdoor 3D and allow for their parents to participate more fully. at the end of each youth tournament the kids receive an olympic style medal with neck ribbon and the winners in each category get to pick out their prize from a large selection of prizes that we've purchased in advance. we activekly advertise the program with periodic press releases (the papers love the pictures we include) and it gets us good free advertising of the archery program and club as well. None of the above would be possible without a strong and active committee and supporting Board of Directors who see the value in the program.

Last edited by allen newell; 02-13-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: LEFT ADDIT'L INFO OUT
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
ES21

ES21 is on a distinguished road

Alan Newell, that is awesome stuff there my friend!!

We also believe in the youth. Are high school archery club puts on the 3d shoots as well. Right now we average 35 - 45 a shoot. we want to up our attendance so instead of just having regular club shoots we are starting to have more specialty shoots. One is our team challenge, which is a team of 1 adult and 1 high/jr. high student, best arrow scores. Giving out some nice trophies for this. We also have 3 other specialty shoots this year. Were growing slowly but steady.

I really like the idea of certified instructor!
ES21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Westy
Aussie Member

We have an animal league every week !
You and I should fit right in then ,what you think???????

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
allen newell
kerplunk

Default Feedback to es21

ES21
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOLKS ARE ON YOUR WAY TO GROW YOUR PROGRAM. HERE'S A COUPLE OF THINGS WE'VE DONE TO INCREASE ATTENDANCE AND INTEREST IN OUR SHOOTS. WE MODIFIED OUR 3D SHOOT SIGN IN SHEETS TO CAPTURE ARCHER EMAIL ADDRESSES (IT'S STICTLY VOLUNTARY AT SIGN IN, WE ASK FOR IT ONLY). ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE ADDED TO OUR ARCHERY GROUP EMAIL AND WE HAVE COLLECTED WELL OVER 100 EMAIL ADDRESSES TODATE. WE DON'T ABUSE THIS AND ONLY SEND OUT GROUP EMAILS TWICE PRIOR TO EACH 3d SHOOT. WE ALSO HAVE CAPTURED THE EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL OUR LOCAL SPORTS NEWSPAPER EDITORS AND OTHERS IMPORTANT TO US. tHESE ADDRESSES ARE PART OF A 'PRESS RELEASE' GROUP EMAIL GROUP WE'VE BUILT TO NOTIFY THE LOCAL PRESS OF OUR ARCHERY SHOOTS AND OTHER EVENTS WE WANT TO PUBLICIZE. AT THE CONCLUSION OF OUR YOUTH TOURNAMENTS WE WRITE UP A STORY COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS OF THE YOUTH ARCHERS AND THIS GETS SENT OUT TO ALL THE NEWSPAPERS. THERE ISN'T A CREDIBLE NEWSPAPER ANYWHERE THAT WON'T PUBLISH A YOUTH STORY AND THIS IS TRUE FOR ARCHERY. IT HELPS TO CONTINUE TO GIVE THE CLUB FAVORABLE REVIEW IN THE PUBLICS MIND AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE GROWTH OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM. (I HAD A CALL TODAY FROM A PARENT WHO SAW OUR PRESS RELEASE STORY WE WROTE RECENTLY ABOUT CELEBRATING OUR FOURTH YEAR OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HAVING TAUGHT BASIC ARCHERY TO OVER 100 AREA BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS PARENT WANTS TO ENROLL HER 11 YR OLD SON IN OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HE'LL START TOMORROW NIGHT. ) ADVERTISING YOUR ARCHERY PROGRAM CAN BE VIRTUALLY FREE AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A YOUTH PROGRAM. OUR CLUB WEBSITE BY THE WAY IS AS FOLLOWS: WWW.MONUMENTBEACHSPORTS.COM WE'D LIKE TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU ABOUT YOUR SEPCIAL PROGRAMS YOU RUN. AND WE'D LIKE TO LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, AS WELL AS THE EXPERIENCE OF OTHERS.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #21
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

We had 17 on Sunday.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
upnorth

last year we put on our first outdoor 3d . it was 40 targets on a 240 acre resort . we had 22 shooters for each of the two shoots we had . with all we had to do to get it going i wasnt going to bother with it this year but they talked me into trying it again this year . this year we also have 7 cabins available for the first shoot with boats on a 110 acre private lake with walleye and musky for 90 dollars 1 night and 145 two nights thats per cabin not per person . big cabin sleeps 8 .first come basis hes taking resverations . shoot is 15 for 1 round 10 for second round . if i dont get atleast 40 shooters this will be the last outdoor we do .
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Westy
Aussie Member

what do you reckon Gattor????You can pick up the carpshooter and I'll swing by and pick you both up,but Carppy your shout Old Mate!!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
what do you reckon Gattor????You can pick up the carpshooter and I'll swing by and pick you both up,but Carppy your shout Old Mate!!!!
Be sure to get the dates of that shoot and I'll see what I can do ?

Can brother Gator bring MIL along ?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
MickeyBee

MickeyBee is on a distinguished road

There are at least 11 clubs (maybe more) within a 50 mile radius. And thats with lake Michigan cutting off half of the circle. As far as I know, they are all doing well. I'm kinda hoping that one of those clubs becomes financially challenged so that they will open up their membership to us hadicapped archers that have to use sights.
MickeyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
ES21

ES21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen newell View Post
ES21
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU FOLKS ARE ON YOUR WAY TO GROW YOUR PROGRAM. HERE'S A COUPLE OF THINGS WE'VE DONE TO INCREASE ATTENDANCE AND INTEREST IN OUR SHOOTS. WE MODIFIED OUR 3D SHOOT SIGN IN SHEETS TO CAPTURE ARCHER EMAIL ADDRESSES (IT'S STICTLY VOLUNTARY AT SIGN IN, WE ASK FOR IT ONLY). ALL EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE ADDED TO OUR ARCHERY GROUP EMAIL AND WE HAVE COLLECTED WELL OVER 100 EMAIL ADDRESSES TODATE. WE DON'T ABUSE THIS AND ONLY SEND OUT GROUP EMAILS TWICE PRIOR TO EACH 3d SHOOT. WE ALSO HAVE CAPTURED THE EMAIL ADDRESSES OF ALL OUR LOCAL SPORTS NEWSPAPER EDITORS AND OTHERS IMPORTANT TO US. tHESE ADDRESSES ARE PART OF A 'PRESS RELEASE' GROUP EMAIL GROUP WE'VE BUILT TO NOTIFY THE LOCAL PRESS OF OUR ARCHERY SHOOTS AND OTHER EVENTS WE WANT TO PUBLICIZE. AT THE CONCLUSION OF OUR YOUTH TOURNAMENTS WE WRITE UP A STORY COMPLETE WITH PHOTOS OF THE YOUTH ARCHERS AND THIS GETS SENT OUT TO ALL THE NEWSPAPERS. THERE ISN'T A CREDIBLE NEWSPAPER ANYWHERE THAT WON'T PUBLISH A YOUTH STORY AND THIS IS TRUE FOR ARCHERY. IT HELPS TO CONTINUE TO GIVE THE CLUB FAVORABLE REVIEW IN THE PUBLICS MIND AND CONTRIBUTES TO THE GROWTH OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM. (I HAD A CALL TODAY FROM A PARENT WHO SAW OUR PRESS RELEASE STORY WE WROTE RECENTLY ABOUT CELEBRATING OUR FOURTH YEAR OF OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HAVING TAUGHT BASIC ARCHERY TO OVER 100 AREA BOYS AND GIRLS, THIS PARENT WANTS TO ENROLL HER 11 YR OLD SON IN OUR JOAD PROGRAM AND HE'LL START TOMORROW NIGHT. ) ADVERTISING YOUR ARCHERY PROGRAM CAN BE VIRTUALLY FREE AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A YOUTH PROGRAM. OUR CLUB WEBSITE BY THE WAY IS AS FOLLOWS: WWW.MONUMENTBEACHSPORTS.COM WE'D LIKE TO HEAR MORE FROM YOU ABOUT YOUR SEPCIAL PROGRAMS YOU RUN. AND WE'D LIKE TO LEARN FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, AS WELL AS THE EXPERIENCE OF OTHERS.
I will visit the website!

We also list our shoots with the local news and results from our specialty shoots.

We do not do the email but we get phone #'s and a few days before the shoot we text them a friendly reminder. This idea came from the president of the club when we asked some local shooters why they didn't make the shoot. Too many of them said they forgot when it was. Problem solved.

I agree with you also on the price of advertising when it comes to the youth, it is virtually free. Our website is www.southcentralarchery.com and you can read the whole story there of how the high school club got started. We are eager to see how our first team shoot goes and I will be posting pics and the story here on 3d shoots. This shoot is geared to the kids to let them shoot with adults as a team. Hoping this alleviates some of the pressure to have to perform perfect and just make it more fun for them.

Also, our local PSE prostaff shooter will be there to offer advice and give tips on shooting.

Kids are the future!!!!!!!!!!!!
ES21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
allen newell
kerplunk

Default Reply to ES21

ES21
I will go to your website to read about how your youth archery program with the schools got started. A year or ago we contacted a number of local schools to try to get a dialogue going about how our Club and the schools could collaborate with youth archery. We got no response. Kind of disappointing. I'm hoping to draw some good nuggets from your story to see what we may have not done correctly or effectively. We have a very good archery facility and all the youth equipment. The indoor archery range is housed in a bldg that measures approx 120 ft by 50 ft. We have 17 lanes that can accomodate up to 34 shooter so it's plenty big enough we figure. Our archery workshop is as good as any commercial range workshop with top of the line equipment for bow repairs, tuneups, string making and arrow making. We repair all the youth equipment that they may own at no cost. So we feel we have an attractive facility. We'd really like to work with the schools to broaden our reach so to speak with area youth who might be interested in learning archery and developing their skills. I'll read your website.