Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road
Default quality of this site

I been on this site for several years now and see a lack of interesting topics. It seems for a site that is called 3D, I do not fine many topics on what is the best 3D set up, bow, scope, release and or arrow. Or what the best way to learn how to judge distance on a 3D course. I keep hoping some one just would post how to use a back release and what the best one to use so you do not get your nose broken....

now when I go over to archery talk in just a few hours there seem to be 25 pages of new discussion and or sales of items...

what your suggestions for increasing the quality of this site ????
Senior archers of Oneonta NY
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

I get tired of the same repeated stuff , that's why I'm found at the offtopic section more !

I do buy alot of archery stuff and I'm back to shooting again !

I have found that the owner of this site is one smart archer , wish he'd chine in more , but he must be busy and that's fine !

I've done and made alot of archer mistakes and am not all that serious about being " the worlds greatest archer anymore " !

I'm at peace being a bowhunter first !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

GiDay Bill !!!! I find as I'm still finding my way in the Archery game,the level of help here refreshing!!!!I don't have to wade through endless posts and Blogs talking about endless CRAP about what color there realease aid is and how theirs is the best and you'll shoot better because of brand xxxx I find here I just have to ask a simple question and the responce is A.O.K and normally pretty spot on So if you want to wade through acres of worthless **** and spend more money on useless Crap then GET on over to A.T or the likes as they'll be glad to have you and your hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!Missing you already

Cheers Westy

Last edited by Westy; 02-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
GiDay Bill !!!! I find as I'm still finding my way in the Archery game,the level of help here refreshing!!!!I don't have to wade through endless posts and Blogs talking about endless CRAP about what color there release aid is and how theirs is the best and you'll shoot better because of brand xxxx I find here I just have to ask a simple question and the response is A.O.K and normally pretty spot on So if you want to wade through acres of worthless **** and spend more money on useless Crap then GET on over to A.T or the likes as they'll be glad to have you and your hard earned $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!Missing you already

Cheers West
Westy you are so brutally tactful

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
Westy you are so brutally tactful
Thank you Smokes!!!It's taken me years to develope this degree of Tact!!!

Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Renegade88

Renegade88 is on a distinguished road

Personally from what I've seen on other sites, the bow and the equipment that the person has on it is the best. If the person changes their bow or equipment then the new stuff is the best. The way this site is, is the reason I like it. If a person has a question then they get answers and good suggestions. There is none of the chest thumping keyboard hero chit that happens on some of those other sites.

IMHO 3dShoots beats the other sites hands down
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
Personally from what I've seen on other sites, the bow and the equipment that the person has on it is the best. If the person changes their bow or equipment then the new stuff is the best. The way this site is, is the reason I like it. If a person has a question then they get answers and good suggestions. There is none of the chest thumping keyboard hero chit that happens on some of those other sites.

IMHO 3dShoots beats the other sites hands down

to that! do you guys realy want to get me started on that (other) site???
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

I agree with Westy.

(should I be concerned?)
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
I keep hoping some one just would post how to use a back release and what the best one to use so you do not get your nose broken....
Don't feel bad; I did that the first time I tried mine. One trick I do now with a new BT release is I put a loop of wire on my bow scale and hang the release on it and pull; that way I can see if I adjusted it right before punching myself.
I don't care for what's the best this or that type questions because it almost always comes down to personal preference and that's one thing I appreciate about this site - most don't go down the fan boy road.

Last edited by dbdcougar; 02-19-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
Don't feel bad; I did that the first time I tried mine. One trick I do now with a new BT release is I put a loop of wire on my bow scale and hang the release on it and pull; that way I can see if I adjusted it right before punching myself.
I don't care for what's the best this or that type questions because it almost always comes down to personal preference and that's one thing I appreciate about this site - most don't go down the fan boy road.
I agree with dbdcougar here and everyone one else is now concerned?????

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Bill I KNOW there are members who are deeply involved in 3d and tournament shooting. I just don't see anyone asking the questions like you are mentioning with any regularity. Heck, I would tell you a BT release with a safety. I had a solution 2.5 (Carter) that was pretty sweet, I think truball still makes one with a safety too. Judging yardage. I've read that some use 5 or 10 yard incriments or just cut the distance in half, try to figure it, then double it.
I think it's a matter of just asking the question.
As mentioned, most regulars here are happy to be hunters first and tournament second, but there are members here who are the opposite. Ask away.
IMO, BT is a mind control tool just to keep you hovering on the spot. A trigger is a trigger. An arrow is never released by surprise on purpose.Not totall surprise anyway.

Last edited by red44; 02-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Bill, for the record I've been using a Hooker release, a spike type with no saftey, for couple years, no missing teeth yet. I have to admit my shooting is no better using it than my wrist strap. I worry more about it, and how much rotaion before it goes off. OK, EXPANSION, before it goes off. Find a comfortable DL that allows you to keep it at, or on the wall and you can pull through the shot while keeping on the spot whatever release your using.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
I agree with dbdcougar here and everyone one else is now concerned?????
And they should be
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
jwelectric

jwelectric is on a distinguished road

I have enjoyed this site as well as Archery Discussion site. The Archery Talk site is way too fast of a pace and too much talk about my Hoyt is better than your Mathews or my whatever is better than your whatever.

If any of them had any sense they would know that the Mission Riot is the best, lol
Well, let me say it is the best bow I own.

Keep up the good work guys and help me learn about my new hobby. All I will ever kill will be 3D.

I am blind in one eye so judging distance is nothing short of a joke but I will still have a bunch of fun.
jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Back tension is like everything else in archery, there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing.
Some say to pull with your back and when your elbow swings around it will trigger the release, some say to pull through and let the release slip through your fingers intil it triggers, some people just plain rotate the release with there wrist intil it goes off, I ve also heard to relax your hand intil the release. The one common thing is to learn how to hold the pressure of the bow in your back muscles.
With back tension the only way to learn is to put your nose and a fat lip on the line. I can tell you one thing if your learning to use a hinge, your are going to send a arrow or two over the target or into the dirt it happens to everybody.

Questions???
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I agree with Westy.

(should I be concerned?)

Yes.....
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

The answer is to start quality threads....You even said in your post that you were hoping or waiting for someone to start a thread about BT and releases....

Well that makes about as much sense as shooting an arrow straight up in the air. Why on earth would you be waiting for someone else to do it? Start one your self asking that question if you have it. I'm sure not going to start one since I know how to shoot a hinge and don't need help with it. There is no magic release that will not make you punch yourself. If you hit yourself or it's going off fast/early....you either aren't drawing correctly (drawing at your face) or your release is set to hot.

If you want more quality threads....ya just have to start them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
The answer is to start quality threads....You even said in your post that you were hoping or waiting for someone to start a thread about BT and releases....

Well that makes about as much sense as shooting an arrow straight up in the air. Why on earth would you be waiting for someone else to do it? Start one your self asking that question if you have it. I'm sure not going to start one since I know how to shoot a hinge and don't need help with it. There is no magic release that will not make you punch yourself. If you hit yourself or it's going off fast/early....you either aren't drawing correctly (drawing at your face) or your release is set to hot.

If you want more quality threads....ya just have to start them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have noticed his start date and his 200 or so post in that time and seems that if one was really wanting to further this agenda they would take a more active approach to it instead of criticizing a group of happy folks enjoying this site

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 02-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
jwelectric

May I post pictures of my shooting alley and then ask questions if I start a new thread?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Renegade88

Renegade88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
May I post pictures of my shooting alley and then ask questions if I start a new thread?
Sure you may. You didn't have to ask. Would love to see the pics.
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
jwelectric

Well I did but I have to wait until a moderator approves the post which I do agree with. Hope to hear some feedback on my indoor set up soon
Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
I can't wait to see these photo's !!!Might give me a few ideas????

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can't wait to see these photo's !!!Might give me a few ideas????
yeah me to westy, im never to good to take a few pointers from someone.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Gator eye

Quote:
Well I did but I have to wait until a moderator approves the post which I do agree with. Hope to hear some feedback on my indoor set up soon
You just need to post more........once you get enough post you can post any old pic you want. Here is one of West-T new girlfriend.
Attached Thumbnails
General Archery Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
You just need to post more........once you get enough post you can post any old pic you want. Here is one of West-T new girlfriend.
Looks like he's moving up
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #26
Gator eye

Quote:
Looks like he's moving up

Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #27
Westy
Aussie Member

It would seem some here are only jealous of Westy's good looks and fortune?????Anything would have to be better than Gattors new love!!!!! She is a true southern Bell,the main problem is she makes Gattor look good!!Maybe thats why he hangs with her?????
Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
Gator eye

West-T, maybe we should double date.

Imagine the nerve of some people complaining about the thread quality on this site.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
Holy Smokes

Quote:
It would seem some here are only jealous of Westies good looks and fortune?????Anything would have to be better than Gators new love!!!!! She is a true southern Bell,the main problem is she makes Gattor look good!!Maybe that's why he hangs with her?????
ol Gator must like wise women
for she brings a whole new meaning to
owl face

Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
West-T, maybe we should double date.

Imagine the nerve of some people complaining about the thread quality on this site.
YERRRR Imagine!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #31
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
It's shocking!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #32
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Wink Here's what I think !

I'll liven this place up with a photo of Gator Eye's MIL !

She looks just as good after 30 beers too !
Attached Thumbnails
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
I'll liven this place up with a photo of Gator Eye's MIL !

She looks just as good after 30 beers too !
If that was the case my marrage might be in trouble.