Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
kingfisharchery

kingfisharchery is on a distinguished road
Default How Important Is Draw Length

Now this my thinking only IF ITS NOT RIGHT YOU WILL NEVER SHOOT THAT BOW RIGHT.Back when I 1st started archery I didnt know any better, the guy sold me bow that was 32 in draw after hitting my arm for a year somebody said man you got long draw,to long so to make long story short my draw is 28 in. now, but I learned alot in 55yrs I just put on new cams spacers pig tails and string I have now tweek it out to 27 3/4 try to find the sweet spot you know were your movement is almost still.and its there now,so is the draw length important you can bet your life on it.Ok you all can hammer me now lets see if we as archer can help someone like I was who just didnt know any better, whats your thinking lets hear from you all///kingfisharchery
kingfisharchery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I agree and disagree with your statements. The reason I say this is I have seen people shoot very well with draw lengths that are too short for them. If they are too long then they normally have troubles shooting accurately.

I think if you are shooting a draw length that is wrong, you can learn to shoot it with a ton of practice. You will have to work at it a lot.

Now, if you take a person and get them setup with a correct draw length, reasonable accuracy will come much quicker and will will seem easier to the shooter. Little form flaws will not have a huge impact on the accuracy.

Another reason I say people can shoot the wrong draw accurately is we got beat badly by a team at an indoor 3D this weekend. The one guys bow arm elbow was bent quite a bit but he shot extremely well. How well, how about consistantly drilling 12's and 14's at 37yard jake turkeys.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default I agree

I think DL is the single most most important issue when purchasing a new bow. Followed closely by DW. But with enough practice yes you can become very good with an improper dl. I believe people just hate to give up a few fps that comes with a shorter dl. But if you have to shoot a longer or shorter dl it is going to take a little more time to become as good as you could with a proper dl. Anytime friends ask me to help them get started with archery I begin by measuring there dl and then test there dw capabilities. Most people want to shoot longer length and higher weight to keep up with someone else which is WRONG shoot what fits YOU not someone else and you will be a better shot. Just my .02 have a great day my friends.

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
ultramax

ultramax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisharchery
Now this my thinking only IF ITS NOT RIGHT YOU WILL NEVER SHOOT THAT BOW RIGHT.Back when I 1st started archery I didnt know any better, the guy sold me bow that was 32 in draw after hitting my arm for a year somebody said man you got long draw,to long so to make long story short my draw is 28 in. now, but I learned alot in 55yrs I just put on new cams spacers pig tails and string I have now tweek it out to 27 3/4 try to find the sweet spot you know were your movement is almost still.and its there now,so is the draw length important you can bet your life on it.Ok you all can hammer me now lets see if we as archer can help someone like I was who just didnt know any better, whats your thinking lets hear from you all///kingfisharchery
I also started off with a bow with too long of a draw length. I got to be a pretty good shot but it took a LOT of practice. You should have seen the bleeding quarter sized welt on the inside of my arm after hitting it for the 20th time that day.
ultramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
kingfisharchery

kingfisharchery is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Guys For Responding

Its the to long drawlength is what I am trying to stop.the short draw will work for must shooter the reason is the bow arm has some place to go,forward and to the target,where to long goes left,the lean back,and that hit on the left arm man that hurts.yes you can shoot that way but not to your max,I shoot with a bent elbow and DL is dead on.1/8in. can make a big diff.I would say the guy who bet you all his draw was set to his DL one way I know when my DL is right is by the movement of my stab.and sight now no one hold steady but with the right DL can sure slow it down.hopful we can some other to come back on this thanks again guys/////kingfisharchery
kingfisharchery is offline   Reply With Quote