Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 05-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default Don't you dare laugh.........

I admit it, I am no carpenter. I couldn't hit the same nail twice unless it's attacted to my thumb, and if your holdin the board you better watch out cause I'll problably hit yours too.
So.......with my trusty cordless screw driver, a fresh box of band-aids, and some lumber I got as a result of some horse tradin I decided that I was gonna build the tash ma hall of deer blinds. 10 by 10 with a wood stove and place to stretch out of course.
I'M building it like a pole building about 4 foot off the ground, so I put my first two poles in 10 foot apart. Carefully measure and put in the 3rd and here's my first problem. when I measure out for the 4th pole I found I haven't made a square, I made a diamond shape. So I pull the 3rd pole and carefully measure again, re-dig the hole put the 3rd post in only to find out it's still not square.
Well by this time I'm running out of beer and motivation. So being the weekend is here I'm gonna give this another go. SO....................

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME A EASY WAY TO SQUARE THIS DANG HUNTING SHACK UP SO I DON'T HAVE TO REDIG THESE HOLES TWENTY TIMES!!!!

Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road

Measure opposite poles on the diagonals and adjust from there.
Not sure if that makes sense, but a^2 + b^2=c^2. Measuring the diagonals should be the best way to get it square. (A square is 2 triangles sharing one diagonal/ hypotenuse).
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
Measure opposite poles on the diagonals and adjust from there.
Not sure if that makes sense, but a^2 + b^2=c^2. Measuring the diagonals should be the best way to get it square. (A square is 2 triangles sharing one diagonal/ hypotenuse).

Hello...........I said easy?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Hey there Bro try this link!!!!!

http://www.buildeazy.com/plans/helpfiles_profile.html

Try this it's dead easy even a Canadian could work this out????

Cheers from Tim the Toolman!!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
jwelectric

jwelectric is on a distinguished road

Try the 6,8,10 foot rule as math dont lie.

Set three stakes in the ground close to where you think the post are to go so they make a L shape. Tie a string from one stake to the other pulling tight. Repeat this from the corner post to the third post.

Now measure from the corner to one post and mark the string at 8 feet, go back to the corner and measure the other string to 6 feet and mark the string. From one mark to the other make them 10 feet apart and you will have a perfect 90 degree corner. Do this by moving one of the stakes either toward or away from the other stake but don't touh the one in the middle.
jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

lay 4 10 foot poles in a square and dig a hole at each coner.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

I'm no carpenter , so good luck !

I like to be in the open , as I try to hunt not sleep while in my stands !

Now you know and you are !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
I'm no carpenter , so good luck !

I like to be in the open , as I try to hunt not sleep while in my stands !

Now you know and you are !
What sort of help was that???????????? i sleep in my undies not really i'm a nuddie for sure but whats that got to do with anything???????

HiJacker

Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
I admit it, I am no carpenter. I couldn't hit the same nail twice unless it's attacted to my thumb, and if your holdin the board you better watch out cause I'll problably hit yours too.
So.......with my trusty cordless screw driver, a fresh box of band-aids, and some lumber I got as a result of some horse tradin I decided that I was gonna build the tash ma hall of deer blinds. 10 by 10 with a wood stove and place to stretch out of course.
I'M building it like a pole building about 4 foot off the ground, so I put my first two poles in 10 foot apart. Carefully measure and put in the 3rd and here's my first problem. when I measure out for the 4th pole I found I haven't made a square, I made a diamond shape. So I pull the 3rd pole and carefully measure again, re-dig the hole put the 3rd post in only to find out it's still not square.
Well by this time I'm running out of beer and motivation. So being the weekend is here I'm gonna give this another go. SO....................

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME A EASY WAY TO SQUARE THIS DANG HUNTING SHACK UP SO I DON'T HAVE TO REDIG THESE HOLES TWENTY TIMES!!!!

Is this 10' center to center or 10' apart????? and L.C simple is best mate like that idea I just learn't a very old trick i'd reckon!!!Onya Mate!!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Gator eye

Well now I don't feel near as dumb, looks like there is no real easy answer. thanks for the link West-T I did some sober measuring last night and I think I got some good marks now I just have to dig the holes.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Mark the calender !

Quote:
Well now I don't feel near as dumb, looks like there is no real easy answer. thanks for the link West-T I did some sober measuring last night and I think I got some good marks now I just have to dig the holes.
It's Saturday and buddy Gator is here !

How are we going to be able to write all that stuff about him ON WEEKENDS , KNOWING THAT HE'S WATCHING THIS SITE !

PS. Hope you are learning and doing a GOOD JOB !

Last edited by Carpshooter; 05-19-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling and looking a second time
Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Gator eye

Quote:
It's Saturday and buddy Gator is here !

How are we going to be able to write all that stuff about him ON WEEKENDS , KNOWING THAT HE'S WATCHING THIS SITE !

PS. Hope you are learning and doing a GOOD JOB !

I had to come into work and make up for lost time. Not that I'm complaining mind you. Shoud be a short day I'm just about done.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Ol Tom

Ol Tom is on a distinguished road

On a 10 x 10 make an X off the 2 you have set 14.15 feet and you should be square. Put a mark or stake and then measure from your post to the stakes and make sure my math is close. Hopefully I haven't made myself look like an idiot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Ol Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

well dont leave us in suspense. are the postholes dug. are they square. let us know so I can get a good nights sleep.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
well dont leave us in suspense. are the postholes dug. are they square. let us know so I can get a good nights sleep.
Well the holes are dug but now he has a 8 foot basement to build on top of, for this thing.....
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
jwelectric

jwelectric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Tom View Post
On a 10 x 10 make an X off the 2 you have set 14.15 feet and you should be square. Put a mark or stake and then measure from your post to the stakes and make sure my math is close. Hopefully I haven't made myself look like an idiot.

would that be equal to 14 feet 1 5/8 inches?
jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #17
Gator eye

Yes, the post are in and braced. I got me a big pile of 2x10's at a auction last weekend for 25 bucks so I'm hoping to get those cut down this weekend into 2x6's for the floor and roof.

I wish I could find a bunch of cheap plywood and insulation at a auction too. For 25 bucks I almost got enough 2x10's for two deer blinds. I love farm auctions.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Gator eye

Ok this weekend I plan on getting everything framed in and ready for sheeting.

I priced out sheeting and insulation but soon realized I have to rob the local party store first before I run to home depot for the sheeting.

I'm planning on taking pictures of the deer palace as I put it up but really haven't done much to it beside lean on the post and drink beer.

So once again the weeekend is here, I got a fresh 30 pack in the fridge and more 2x4's so we'll see what happens this weekend.

I did find a site called "Deer view windows" they make windows for deer blinds. After lookin what home depot had for windows and finding nothing that would fit the bill at local garage sales, I decided to order my windows from them. Cheaper than Home depot and hopefully will work better than your average used slider window that you buy at a garage sale. Those should be in the end of next week.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Enough already just show me the Photos

: photo:

Old 06-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Should have just made a diamond

Pics!! How did it turn out?
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Gator eye

Well after a week of solid rain and we got Noah's ark out of our back yard. We finally got a chance to work on the almost square Tash Ma Hall Deer blind.

We just framed it in this weekend and if the wallet permits gonna try for a roof and floor next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
Gator eye

it's 10 X10 almost square(well almost) 8 foot tall on one end and 6 on the other.

Here's one with my best helper, even the dogs tried to help
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
Gator eye

Here's the view overlooking the food plot.
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
Gator eye

And Carpy thanks for the tip on how to keep the food plot healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
rage-it

rage-it is on a distinguished road

Man that looks good so when can we all come over and hunt

rage-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
Gator eye

You know I dropped a quarter when I was putting the boards on top, Do you think I could find it??
You can come over and hunt for that quarter anytime.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
rage-it

Quote:
You know I dropped a quarter when I was putting the boards on top, Do you think I could find it??
You can come over and hunt for that quarter anytime.
As long as it didn't go under the box blind i'll come hunt for it I don't want to take a chance on it falling on me

Old 06-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Well Bugger me again!!!!!!

WoW Gattor you've turely out done yourself here Mate!!!If the gig your doing now ever stops you can come on over here and join my band of Builders for sue !!!Looks great Mate !!!don't worry about the 1\4 you dropped in a hundred years or so they'll know when this blind was built when they find the Quarter!!!!Don't tell carrpy though as he'll ride up there and try and find the thing!!!!Anyways Great work Rick it looks awesome!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #29
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
WoW Gattor you've turely out done yourself here Mate!!!If the gig your doing now ever stops you can come on over here and join my band of Builders for sue !!!Looks great Mate !!!don't worry about the 1\4 you dropped in a hundred years or so they'll know when this blind was built when they find the Quarter!!!!Don't tell carrpy though as he'll ride up there and try and find the thing!!!!Anyways Great work Rick it looks awesome!!!
To late, he showed up in the racin pontiac last night and started rutting around under the stand. I was going to offer him some refreshments but he was mumbling and sounding real strange. He was scaed my dogs.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #30
rage-it

Quote:
To late, he showed up in the racin pontiac last night and started rutting around under the stand. I was going to offer him some refreshments but he was mumbling and sounding real strange. He was scaed my dogs.
I sure hope he didn't find that quarter its going be all mine when I come over

Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
Gator eye

Default Update

I got the roof and the floor done but now I have a major road block in my way on the completion of this project.

I'm out of money!!

they really value building supplies. So I'm alittle, ok alot over budget.

Oh well, it makes for a nice place to sit and drink a evening beer or two with no walls up. the deer just about got the buckwheat wiped out, almost nothing left but stems. I have alittle seed left over so I think I'm gonna replant next weekend.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #32
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Heres my best effort yet!!!!

Here's one the great grandad knocked up over a 100 years ago!!!!!I'm having it renovated when Carpshooter, L.C and Gator come on over!!!!! A box of matches and a gallon of gas should do the job!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
Gator eye

Need to put a few touches on that porch. LC won't know where to drink his FOLGERS in the morning without one.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #34
Gator eye

Me and the old lady and the dogs were sitting in the unfinished tash mah hall drinkin a few cold one. I just got done telling the wife it would just be our luck that we put all this time and money into this big-butt huntin shack and we probably won't see a single deer from it. Just about got that out and a little four point comes joggin right into the buckwheat about 30 yards away.

When it saw us and the dogs it frooze and got this OH CRAP look on his face. needless to say he didn't stick around very long.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #35
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Our little place

This is a few photos of our little farm in Queensland,3 generations of $hit

1\ See Gator your not the only one thats got a crap old case!!!!

2\Mt Walker you guysstill own the top of this since 1942 soil hereat my place!!!!

3\This ones got a veranda on it for L.C to drink his Coffee This was built in 1880 and has never had power or a phone conected to it!!!The orginal owners moved on in the Last finacal down turn ( 1929) Depresion and no one has lived there since except a few spooks I think???

4\One of the Toyota ute used on the farm,thats Jacko a the wheel I think???No roads out here in these paddocks!!!!Front 250 Acres

Do you good old boys in the south have blue skys like these as I know those Northeners don't!!!!Never been to Tenesee ot Virginia ,but I see they named 1\2 of it after me!!!West Virginia LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Westy; 06-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #36
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Here's what I think !

Gator , I'm sure that after seeing those photos and that you got loose canines for all of our Aussie buddies here to eliminate , no doubt that they'll be over and they aren't interested in any lost quarters !

Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
Westy
Aussie Member

Default Can you beliieve this?????

Quote:
Gator , I'm sure that after seeing those photos and that you got loose canines for all of our Aussie buddies here to eliminate , no doubt that they'll be over and they aren't interested in any lost quarters !

Woof Woof Woof

Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #38
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about

Thats not a deer blind its a damned hillbilly hotel! You cant shoot deer when your sleeping.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 AM   #39
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
Thats not a deer blind its a damned hillbilly hotel! You cant shoot deer when your sleeping.
What about when he's messing around with his Cousin in there though?????

Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #40
poorman
And thats no lie !

poorman has a spectacular aura aboutpoorman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
What about when he's messing around with his Cousin in there though?????

Those folks from Michigan just do that at home.