Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #41
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
Chris,

The reason that head is popular at your shop is because Rage, that is Feild Logic is spending a ton of advertising on TV and magazines to promote there product. They have been out long enough that some issues are showing up with them. Again as stated in other threads $40.00 is a lot to pay for Aluminum. Give me a ready sharp stick already fixed and ready to cut. Amen!
I totally agree that they are pumping a lot of advertising $ at the Rage head. However, my customers bringing in harvest pictures with giant entrance and exit holes is what is selling them in our shop.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #42
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Talking I Agree

Enough Said On This I Think!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #43
grizz49
Old Archer

Thumbs up Is it Big enough!

I guess I'm old school, perfect or neer perfect arrow flight is all that is needed. We don't need to cut the heart in two or lungs, that totally unnessesary. Folks need to buy there equipment early enough and practice, practice and more practice. Making heads like this serves only the guy who picks his bow up just before season. Fred Bear said it best, "the harvesting of animals from the woods starts long before the North wind gets cold, time and study on the range and in the field must be done first"

And as far as whats selling good right now, wait that will change when the new fast and better appears. Eights years at one of the largest Archery Shops in the country taught me that. Good Luck in all you do!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #44
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard

ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road
Default Swacker?

Even tough I am not shooting them this year, my vote would be for the Rage. But my question about the Swacker is....If anyone is familur with the company Aftershock, they have a head called the Hypershock. You can do a search on some of the hunting sights and they get hammered about not penatrating! I personally think the Swacker opens just like they Hypershock. The difference is Swacker are seen on TV. I do know those Hypershock are in my opinion the best flying head out there, but don't penatrate!? Whats your thoughts on they way Swack heads open? Just a random thought!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
Lavaca Co. Ranch TX

Lavaca Co. Ranch TX is on a distinguished road
Default swacker

I have taken several deer with the swacker broadhead. Great bool trails, entry/exit holes. Rage cannot touch them. I have pics for examples...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunt 010.jpg (36.5 KB, 968 views)
Lavaca Co. Ranch TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #46
oldschool

oldschool is on a distinguished road

Couldn't agree w/ohansolo any more. Put the arrow where you should, and a hole the size of your arrow shaft will kill the deer. (but bigger is better) A shot from a high powered rifle (often even the exit wound) is smaller than an arrow. Double lung or through the pump and your deer is dead and retrievable. It takes discipline to pass on shots that are too far, or not clear enough, but a good shot gets good results. Practice, practice practice...
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #47
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

NJbowhunter16 is on a distinguished road
Default swahckers

I just started shooting swahkers this season. I shot a doe quartering away hard at about 25yards. the arrow hit her in the last rib and came out through the opposite shoulder and stuckk into the ground. She plowed about 40 yards and went down. The entrance and exit whole on her was huge. You could not piss the blood trail. I am deffinitly going to keep shooting the swahckers
NJbowhunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #48
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

Default x-systems

I have not heard many good things about rage from a few guys i know that shoot them. But i do know of a new broadhead that is probably worse and i would not recommend to anyone. The new X-systems from crimson talon. They look like they would shoot good and leave a big hole. But once you go to shoot them they fly horrible. They shoot about 8inches different then my feild points. They are simply not accurate at all.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #49
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road
Default brod heads

guys these are the mechanicals that i use . i have ben using them for 4or 5 years now i used to get them at wallmart for $15 ,they stoped selling them last year . i have had nothing but good luck with them and my arrows always seem to go completly through the deer . now the longest shot ive made to date is 35 yrds but they work . i would like to get som new one if i can find them . but anyways i like the razer tip ,that way if they dont open (hasnt happened yet) i still get a good clean cut .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010063.JPG (39.2 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpg P1010064.JPG (37.9 KB, 883 views)

Last edited by armyof1; 10-18-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: forgot pics
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #50
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

Default Swahcker wound on doe

opening day doe shot with swahcker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0912091711.jpg (58.0 KB, 933 views)
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #51
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

Default grim reaper

If you can not find your broadheads anywhere. you might want to look at the grim reaper razorcuts they are similer to your broadheads.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #52
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road
Default thanks

thanks for the heads up but i am looking for 2 blade design
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #53
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

Default 2 blades

the swahckers are 2 blade and work very good. i would recommend them
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #54
grizz49
Old Archer

Thumbs up Broadheads

Chris,

Just for fun could you sent up a Broadhead poll of what worked this year for guys and what did not. By seasons end, that should provide some interesting data. What Broadhead Used and grain weight shot distance, from tree or ground, broadside or quarteing away. anyone else have any ideas.

By the way So far for me the Slick Trick magnum 100 grain 22yards from a tree quarteing away, great blood trail, even if somone else found it.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #55
Jingaling

Jingaling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJbowhunter16 View Post
I just started shooting swahkers this season. I shot a doe quartering away hard at about 25yards. the arrow hit her in the last rib and came out through the opposite shoulder and stuckk into the ground. She plowed about 40 yards and went down. The entrance and exit whole on her was huge. You could not piss the blood trail. I am deffinitly going to keep shooting the swahckers
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard!!! so your telling us that you put it quatering away shot and it came out through her shoulder??? Have you ever shot a deer and know how hard it is to go through a shoulder!! Matbe you were using a rifle instead!
Jingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #56
NJbowhunter16
whitetail slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard!!! so your telling us that you put it quatering away shot and it came out through her shoulder??? Have you ever shot a deer and know how hard it is to go through a shoulder!! Matbe you were using a rifle instead!
look at the picture i posted that is the exit wound your trying to tell me thats not the shoulder?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #57
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
i blew through the top of the front shoulder and the back shoulder on a doe with my rage 3 blades
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #58
deerslayer17

deerslayer17 is on a distinguished road
Default swacker is better

i know people who have shot deer at 20 yards and have not gotten pass throughs with the rage expandables. With the swackers however, you dont always get pass throughs but they leave a 2'' cutting diameter soo must of our deer dont run more than 40 yds. They are also much cheaper
deerslayer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #59
bowtecbowhunter
bowtecbowhunter

bowtecbowhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck View Post
If you had issues with the 2 blade why would buy the 3 blade? Tune your bow good and get broadheads and be done with it.

You spent $40+ bucks for 3 another 3 thats $80 that a lot for 6 heads. You can get 12 slick tricks for that price.

Chris, I have test shot these heads and they do not open all the time. I blade will open the other will get binded by the other. Does not happen all the time. The one's I have I shot several times at a target at least 3 time's they did not open properly. Try it for yourself.
exactly if you tried RAGE once and it failed you WHY WOULD YOU TRY IT AGAIN, and breck is wrong I just bought SLICK TRICK GRIZZ TRICKS an they are $30.00 for 3 which means you could get 9 heads instead of 6.
bowtecbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #60
Bow Crazy
Bow Crazy

Bow Crazy is on a distinguished road
Default Rage vs. Swacker

So what we have learned here is several things , no one can agree on which is the better mechanical broad head , both make a gaping exit would when they pass through if they deploy , the o-ring seems to be a concern to a lot of you with the Rage and the old timers just ain't going to change no matter what people do or say. Well that was helpful BUT I do know this , the Rage flies very well , I have never had one deploy in flight despite what others say happens , I have never lost a deer with one and the blood trails are nasty . Now my friend that convinced me to change to Rage from a fixed blade (Crimson Talon) has since changed to a Swacker and wants me to do the same, NOT HAPPENING !!! I am very confident with the Rage broad head and it's abilty to cleanly kill the animal with one shot . So this is what I have learned from this forum #1 If you take irresponsible shots you will get negitive results reguarless of the broad head , #2 you can only gain confidence by a lot of practice. #3 check your equipment every time you go out to hunt with it (we owe that to the animal ) that means the broad heads are sharp and clean ! I appreciate the input
Bow Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #61
jungoee1

jungoee1 is on a distinguished road
Default extra orings are replacements!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd View Post
Yes they are? They are used as a shock adsorber, and the blade " slips " under it to keep it locked.
Alot of ppl take the extra o rings and put them around the blades,dont do that they are replacements!!!!!.if you take a rage out of the package it will open if you push it thru a peice of paper!if it dont open thru a deer it shouldnt open at all!!,they put something together wrong!!!ive shot 13 deer with rage never had a problem.
jungoee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #62
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

From all the huntin shows on TV I would say nothing is as good as a RAGE.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #63
JakeTN8point

JakeTN8point is on a distinguished road

I have shot thunderheads since i was 12 but im wanting swith to rage to any advive?
JakeTN8point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #64
mtbowhunter

mtbowhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Rage?

I watched Randy Ulmer shoot at the Rage 100yd shoot off at the ATA show a few years ago. He lost the shoot because the Rage blades deployed in mid flight. Randy knows how to make anything shoot perfectly and they didnt stay together. Enough said.

I use a Rocket Hammerhead on deer sized game. They leave a hole you can put your fist through and NEVER fail! The Sidewinder is good too. I really like the Steelhead XL for durability though. Its a Titanium Nitride drill bit with blades. Any of the Rocket heads get my vote! The Meat Seakers are Awsome deer slayers as well!! GO ROCKET!!!!!!!!
mtbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #65
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbowhunter View Post
I watched Randy Ulmer shoot at the Rage 100yd shoot off at the ATA show a few years ago. He lost the shoot because the Rage blades deployed in mid flight. Randy knows how to make anything shoot perfectly and they didnt stay together. Enough said.

I use a Rocket Hammerhead on deer sized game. They leave a hole you can put your fist through and NEVER fail! The Sidewinder is good too. I really like the Steelhead XL for durability though. Its a Titanium Nitride drill bit with blades. Any of the Rocket heads get my vote! The Meat Seakers are Awsome deer slayers as well!! GO ROCKET!!!!!!!!
I saw this same shoot-off. I wouldn't expect any mechanical to stay together after that many shots. Most people would check the o'rings and change them after shooting. They shot these same heads over and over without checking for bent blades, bad o'rings or anything.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #66
Lwapo

Lwapo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lwapo Send a message via Yahoo to Lwapo
Default Rage...

My rage broadhead kill from earlier this year.

This is the hole next to a TWO LITER OF MT. DEW.

Yes, a 2 liter, not a 20oz.

"Tracking" (and I use the quotation marks because tracking with holes like this is a joke) is very easy due to the INSANE amount of blood that comes out. It looks like someone murdered a family with a chainsaw... it's amazing.

Bowhunting forum
Lwapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #67
AKbowhunter38

AKbowhunter38 is on a distinguished road
Default Rage

I took a Kodiak Brown bear in 2008 with a 100gn Rage broad head from about 6 yards. Had a clean pass through and the bear went about 70 yards. In 2011 I took an Illinois white tail from a tree stand about 23 yards. Once again, had a clean pass through and the deer went about 40 feet. From what Ive seen, Rage hits kill faster than Swhackers.
AKbowhunter38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #68
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road

Ive never used a swacker before but i have used rage 2-3 blade with great success.they make a huge hole and massive blood trails.
Never had any open in quiver or any other odd ball stuff,very good broad head.
OneMustFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I will never use a Rage head. They took an old friend (snyper/gator), whored it out by throwing tons of money in advertising at it, even when we have all seen the lack of penetration on TV. That and the fact that like the original snyper they are a 1 and done head. I mostly hate the $$ thrown at it to make us think(cyber brain wash) it's the best head. They will never get a dime from me. Hope they choke to death. Barre/Rocky Mountain, for shame, you let a good cat out of the bag and allowed it to pimped. Hope you enjoy the money. Did this sound to personal? I hate this kind of **** and we see it in every product in our lives. cars to dish soap.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #70
rage-it

rage-it is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
I will never use a Rage head. They took an old friend (snyper/gator), whored it out by throwing tons of money in advertising at it, even when we have all seen the lack of penetration on TV. That and the fact that like the original snyper they are a 1 and done head. I mostly hate the $$ thrown at it to make us think(cyber brain wash) it's the best head. They will never get a dime from me. Hope they choke to death. Barre/Rocky Mountain, for shame, you let a good cat out of the bag and allowed it to pimped. Hope you enjoy the money. Did this sound to personal? I hate this kind of **** and we see it in every product in our lives. cars to dish soap.
Every deer I have shot with the rage heads went right threw them my set up this year is

Elite hunter bow set on 65 lbs
Easton FMJ they are 427 grains

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
rage-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #71
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I'm happy for you, honestly. I just can't.
I'm still using a older/slower Mathews than your Elite, and 57-60 lbs approximately. (no scale)
I just hate the marketing/money hype. They bought the rights to a good working head, made it worse (IMO) and paid alot of people to use it, to sell it to us. That's where I'm at, right or wrong, I will never use one. Paid pimps selling us a lesser head IMO.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #72
rage-it

rage-it is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
I'm happy for you, honestly. I just can't.
I'm still using a older/slower Mathews than your Elite, and 57-60 lbs approximately. (no scale)
I just hate the marketing/money hype. They bought the rights to a good working head, made it worse (IMO) and paid alot of people to use it, to sell it to us. That's where I'm at, right or wrong, I will never use one. Paid pimps selling us a lesser head IMO.
I understand what your saying. IMO there are alot if good heads out there its just whatever you want to shoot

rage-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #73
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

I've shot the rage 2 blade for 2 years now and everything I've shot I've recovered in less than a 100yds. I like them and I will continue to use them

[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #74
Buckslayer24
Aim small Miss small

Buckslayer24 is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll stop shooting rage 2 blades when the deer stop falling inside 75 yds.

Stop taking crappy shots, and you will stop getting crappy results.