Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default try a new thread on this...Rage Broadheads

I got the two blade heads and they came with these shock collars that fit over top of the o-rings.

Do you use these shock collars???

or

Don't worry about it unless your shoot above -blank- FPS.

What say you?
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
jg-32

jg-32 is on a distinguished road

I just got the 2 blade with the chisel tips and the package says to use the collars is your shooting in thicker brush to help keep the blades from opening up early if they hit something while in flit. I mostly hunt on the edges of fields so I opted not to use them.
jg-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
snowmagic70

snowmagic70 is on a distinguished road
Default rage

gator,are those broad heads the new 2.3 in opening
snowmagic70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure they are the 2" opening.

I guess I'll send one down range without the collar and make sure it flies right. Hopefully it flies as well as the practise tip, I took out another arrow shooting at the same dot with the practise point.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I don't want to sound like an old fart but I'll allow it for a moment. The majority of the sponsor rich shows using rage heads hardly ever show a pass-through. In a perfect world they would barely get through and drop on the ground. Not neccessarily needed to drill 6" into the dirt after (unused energy). But actually pass through, you know, to give you another hole to leak from so you have a better chance to find your critter. I am biassed, I still prefer the Snyper, a 1 3/8 cut head, from which the design of the Rage was BOUGHT. They made the cut bigger, and the tip more blunt. Great. Thanks. Pay all you want Rage into the hunting shows, I ain't buying untill I see that 2" head falling on the off side from a 29/60 bow. Untill then, I still got Snypers.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Gator I wish you the best with them, really. post up your results too please.
I hate it when you find a head you really like and the company sells it out. hard to accept the new one as better. They can throw all the money in the universe at it.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
rage-it

rage-it is on a distinguished road

The new Rage chisel tip I love these heads

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
rage-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
Gator I wish you the best with them, really. post up your results too please.
I hate it when you find a head you really like and the company sells it out. hard to accept the new one as better. They can throw all the money in the universe at it.
Well I have to admit I'm not a fan of mechanical broadheads but because I haven't done my homework and just didn't make the time to properly tune my fixed broadheads or even build arrow yet I'm trying these.
and yes I fell victum to the hype and baught what everybody was talking about, I am really unprepared for opening day this year.

So if I get on here and start complaining about how my season is going this year, please feel free to remind me of this fact and tell me to shut up, you don't want to hear about it and to spead less time posting on here and more time setting up.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Haven't tried the new chisel Tips yet but I use the standard 2 blade with great results

[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road

I tried the 2 blade Rage 2in cut last year and at a 30 foot almost straight down shot, it did the job but after looking at the skinned carcus it looked like one blade did not deploy but it still put him down within 50 yards. This year I bought six of the 2 blade 2in rage chisel bit and I think they will do better and I've heard great reviews. I'm running them without the plastic washer.

Last edited by vortec 1; 09-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.
vortec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
jg-32

jg-32 is on a distinguished road

up date on my new rage broad heads with the chisel tips. these things suck.... they didn't open on entery, they did open on exit. clean pass through but the deer didnt bleed at all and when i shot her just jumped a little bit and just walked away like nothing was wrong. she was wagging her tail a lot but thats it. then 1 1/2 hrs later i i started tracking her and she was laying down in the woods about 50 yards from where i shot her and was still alive. good thing i keep 2 of my arrows with my old muzzys still and finished her off with them. i dont think i will be using the rage ever again.
jg-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
red44

A. Where was the hit?
B. Did you use the collars or no?
Back to A. How high were you (in the stand, in feet, LOL)and how far was the deer? Where did you hit it?
I ask because I have yet to see a lung shot or heart shot deer walk away wagging it's tail. They blast off. I'm not bashing, but it sounds from what you described, like a gut shot. I have had that senario myself. It was not a fault of the head in my case. I hit just back of where I should have.
Body position, full/empty stomack, inhale/exhale, (the deer's) all make a difference on where the diaphram is, and the lungs.

Last edited by red44; 10-04-2012 at 09:47 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Gator eye

Default Rage two blades........

Didn't get any pics but........

Yes they opened and put a 2" hole in the deer
Did not get a pass through, shooting s 60 pound bow, with a 395 grain arrow, 28 inch draw. Deer was about 28 yards away.
The shot was high.
Even with a high shot, it went threw both lungs and was alittle dissapointed in the tracking blood.
No, I didn't use the collars.

Over all they did the job but I still like fixed blades better. Most every fix blade broadhead I ve tried gave pass throughs on most shots.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
vortec 1
Scent free & sittin High

vortec 1 is on a distinguished road
Default No More Rage

Well,the new chisel bit Broadheads suck!!! How about a stright down through the Lung No deploy, No pass through from 30 feet up and shooting 68lbs over 300 and some fps.The arrow only went in 13 inches and a lost 8pt. Can u say SWHACKER. Go to there web site and watch the broadhead test.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
rage-it

Ill let y'all fight this one out I've never had a problem with the rage heads

Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage-it View Post
Ill let y'all fight this one out I've never had a problem with the rage heads

^^^ agreed ... I've heard the bad stories online but no one I actually know has a bad story ... I've lost one deer with em and that was all me not the broadhead
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

I have both , but trust the spitfires more , but plan to use regular broadheads if I need to , as things get way too pricey when you break these broadheads !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

I have encounter the rage heads openning up , while I'm moving my nock bow around in the treestand at times !

I'll have to take a look at the new ones , as they are said to have address this problem , I guess !

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Talking Alittle know fact !

Results of a rage !
Attached Thumbnails
Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version   Bowhunting forum - Click for larger version  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
rage-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
Results of a rage !
Nice Carps glad you put one on the ground keep it up

Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage-it View Post
Nice Carps glad you put one on the ground keep it up

Thanks , I brought more rage broadheads !

Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #22
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

I guess i'm the odd man out here!!!I still love and use Slick tricks,great for killing cats among otherthings!!!!!! pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppppppppp I just Peed myself laughing Mate

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
duanelane

duanelane will become famous soon enough

How do you like them slik tricks im about out of thunder heads and was thinking the sliks or the fixed g5 come turkey season...........
duanelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
I guess i'm the odd man out here!!!I still love and use Slick tricks,great for killing cats among otherthings!!!!!! pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppppppppp I just Peed myself laughing Mate
I did see a cat while out hunting the timber today !

I passed on it !

Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #25
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
I did see a cat while out hunting the timber today !

I passed on it !

Thats only because it was to small!!! You were flat out seeing it little lone hitting it!!!!Although your deer are the size of a medium size Dog I guess!!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
monstermel

monstermel is on a distinguished road

I tried rage one time and I shot a nice buck at 25 yards and looked like i smoked it. well after finding my arrow i had 6 inches of blood up the arrow. So it pulled out the same way it went in. I gave up on them after one deer. now i shoot wac ems 125 xl. They have 1 1/4 cutting. I have shot a deer at 87, 65, 72, 40 yards and they all had pass throughs and not one of those deer went more then 100 yards. Just having to deal with them mechanical broadheads suck, when i had that broadhead with me i was all ways worried about them opening up, or if they some how come open when im pulling back or if you are walking in and have to pull a arrow out of your quiver and the blades are open then have to put them back in. I just dont like them. JUST TO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT
monstermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Thats only because it was to small!!! You were flat out seeing it little lone hitting it!!!!Although your deer are the size of a medium size Dog I guess!!!!!
Ok there Aussie , you can feed a whole tribe on that island of yours for a week with just one of our cornfeed Iowan deer , mate ! ........................................ ........................................ ............

I still like rage broadheads !~
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
duanelane

Tryed another one out this morning in desmoines it flew true but still cant get a pass threw, she only went 40 feet though.........
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #29
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanelane View Post
Tryed another one out this morning in desmoines it flew true but still cant get a pass threw, she only went 40 feet though.........
Way to go !
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #30
red44

My issue with Rage is they took a good working 1 3/8 head, increased it to 2, and inflated the hell out of it with advertising. I don't remember hearing or reading that the 1 3/8 snyper did'n't pass through, never. A 2" head just might kill a deer, but you have to be able to find it, and it helps if you have an exit wound. I have issues with Rage. Money grabbing SOB's at the deer's and hunters expense. The deer's going to die, but are you going to find it? Screw them.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #31
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

I still plan to use Rage broadheads , as the newer ones seem to lock better thaqnn those made a few years ago and I LIKE PASS THREWS ON MY CRITTERS !

Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
Hutch
HUTCH~N~SON ARCHERY LLC

Hutch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still plan to use Rage broadheads , as the newer ones seem to lock better thaqnn those made a few years ago and I LIKE PASS THREWS ON MY CRITTERS !

Pass thru's with a Jennings at 2 feet away. Come on Carpy! It had to be a shorter distance.

Hutch
Hutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #33
Gator eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Pass thru's with a Jennings at 2 feet away. Come on Carpy! It had to be a shorter distance.

Hutch

Old 12-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
Gator eye

In my final count, two deer down with rage broadheads, one went about 40 yards with a good shot and the other made it probably around 500 yards with a shot that was alittle to far back which only caught one lung, liver, diaphram. It wasn't pretty and I didn't get a good blood trail but they did the job.

Next year I will be back to my slick tricks just because they always pass through with a nice hole and I usually get a great blood trail even on so so shots.

Final thought, for the money I'm going back to slick tricks.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
Westy
Aussie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
In my final count, two deer down with rage broadheads, one went about 40 yards with a good shot and the other made it probably around 500 yards with a shot that was alittle to far back which only caught one lung, liver, diaphram. It wasn't pretty and I didn't get a good blood trail but they did the job.

Next year I will be back to my slick tricks just because they always pass through with a nice hole and I usually get a great blood trail even on so so shots.

Final thought, for the money I'm going back to slick tricks.
Now here's a guy with Style!!!!============================= =============I find the Magnums fly and kill the best!!!Grizz trick is A.O.K but unless your using a 4" quickspin they tend to wonder around alitle!!IMO

Last edited by Westy; 12-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

I'm a rage lover , through and though !
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
duanelane

Hit them with a thunder head and there dead !!!......