Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
mn.moose
VP of WCA

mn.moose is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed to get back in the tree

Wanted to say that I missed my very first kill with a bow the other week and having troubles dealing with it. I have been a long time hunter and thought after 2 year of practice thought I would try the bow. Scoped out my location and came up with a game plan. Cut a small lane for identifying then I left a big section of tall weeds as a natural screen. Then I cut a wide section for the kill, followed by another screen of weeds before another small shooting lane. Behind me is a creek with a steep bank, followed by my 23 yards of woods that leads to a bean/corn field. So just as I planned a real nice shooter buck comes out of no where and is in my first cut and looking right at me, I wait for him to get in the screen area and stand up and draw. At this point 30 seconds has gone by and he has his full body into my shooting lane. I give a quick grunt noise to stop him and release the arrow. At this point I cannot believe that my plan has worked as designed, I have spent only 3 hours in the tree total! BUT... I stuck it right in the should bone and barely penetrated. Needless to say the deer is still running and counting it's lucky stars. Everyone keep telling me that it happens to every bow hunter but I cannot help but feel irresponsible for my poor shot. Any advice that can help me get back in the tree?
mn.moose is offline   Reply With Quote