Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
big bear

big bear is on a distinguished road
Default Need help

kind of a long story,please bear with me. i am 62yrs old, starting shooting a bow at 16. and was considered, an above average shot. back then i was pulling a 65lb pse. in 2000 at age 50 i had 4 massive heart attacks that left me with 25 percent heart function.had a quadruple bypass.i have also had two pacemakers since then. i am also insulin dependent diabetic. drs told me 12 yrs ago i would never pull a bow again. i missed that more than anything. 6 months ago i said the heck with them and started shopping for a bow, with 3d archery in mind. i was heart broke when i discovered i could barely pull a 30lb bow. i settled on a pse chaos 30 to 50lb bow. after awhile i was pulling it with ease. i ordered a new hoyt spyder 30 to 40 lb should be here in about a month. my concerns are these. how far is the longest target in 3d shoots. will i be embarrising myself with a 30lb bow.i am retired as well as disabled and have lots of time to shoot. i am also back in the gym trying to regain muscle strengh long gone. while i am doing this for fun, i am still very competitive, and dont like getting beat. be truthful am i peeing in the wind with this new bow. i do believe some of my strength will come back and hope to be pulling 40 by spring. any advise on arrows or field points to make the bow faster would be appreciated. any other advise also. my wife use to love watching me shoot and i got her a bow also. thank you in advance, for your response. may god bless. bear

Last edited by big bear; 01-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.
big bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

to this site !

I'm older than you by a year , but started bow shooting back in '86 , but really got involved in the mid '90s .

If you got the time , you can really become good at archery !

Wish you well , and where I live the furtherest 3D target range is 50 yards !

Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
big bear

thank you sir
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
to this site !

I'm older than you by a year , but started bow shooting back in '86 , but really got involved in the mid '90s .

If you got the time , you can really become good at archery !

Wish you well , and where I live the furtherest 3D target range is 50 yards !

X 2 also you would be shooting in the vetrans group I think???? So 40# isn't a bad thing at all!!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
big bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
x 2 also you would be shooting in the vetrans group i think???? So 40# isn't a bad thing at all!!!!!
is that the same as the old farts club. Over the hill gang etc etc:thanks for raising my spirits mate ha ha
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
duanelane

duanelane will become famous soon enough

If your shooting the bow hunter class the longest shot is 35 yrds.My daughter started at 30 lbs with a compound and use to give me a good whoopin every now and then.Now she prefers a traditional bow at 45lbs and has smoked me bad shooting from the bhc stakes............
duanelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
big bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanelane View Post
If your shooting the bow hunter class the longest shot is 35 yrds.My daughter started at 30 lbs with a compound and use to give me a good whoopin every now and then.Now she prefers a traditional bow at 45lbs and has smoked me bad shooting from the bhc stakes............
TY WHAT R THE BHC STAKES. THIS IS ALL QUITE NEW TO ME
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
duanelane

duanelane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bear View Post
TY WHAT R THE BHC STAKES. THIS IS ALL QUITE NEW TO ME

I was just to lazy to type bow hunter class which has a max shot of thirty five yards.The 3d shoots have difrent stakes for difrent classes with a max of 50 yrds at the shoots ive ben to.
duanelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

At that lbs your arrow will shoot out to 50 or 60 yards but it will just take a bit more time to get there! Be sure to get the correct spine, point weights and fletchings for your arrows and have them cut to the proper length. You should be fine.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Your game with a 40 pound bow will depend on your ablity to judge yardage. 3 or 4 yards each way will be the difference between a 10 and a 8. Faster bows give you a little more leeway.

But as the great Apache leader Geronimo said when he was teaching Carpy and LC how to shoot a bow, "It's the Indian behind the bow that makes the shot, not the bow."

Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Your game with a 40 pound bow will depend on your ablity to judge yardage. 3 or 4 yards each way will be the difference between a 10 and a 8. Faster bows give you a little more leeway.

But as the great Apache leader Geronimo said when he was teaching Carpy and LC how to shoot a bow, "It's the Indian behind the bow that makes the shot, not the bow."

Can I use that one, Geronimo eye???????

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

what's your draw length big bear?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

wrong...I taught Geronimo how to shoot.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Carroll in MO

Carroll in MO is on a distinguished road

With the right arrow, try to keep it as close to 200 grains as possible, at 40# you will be OK. But as gator eye said, it depends on your ability to judge yardage. Good luck.
Carroll in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

I think big bear has abandoned us
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote