Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
reaper

reaper is on a distinguished road
Default Hello all, new to archery

Hello all. I just bought a diamond infinite edge yesterday. I got the package from cabelas from a man that took about 3-4 hours setting up the boy from me and givinge tips. I am heading out tomorrow as he said it takes a day for the arrows to set once cut. I will be shooting on the McCord afb archery range. My questions are many and I am hoping the experienced can lend some wisdom for the new guy on the line. First, where can I get info on how to shoot technique ECT ECT. Been in the army for 13 years and can shoot a rifle extremely well but something tells me a bow is a bit different. Normally I would have asked my dad about these things but he recently passed so I'm kinda out in the wind. Secondly I got the package deal. I noticed a lot of the other bows had many more accessories, stabilizer a hand strap for the bow, and a few other things I don't know about and can't identify. Are these things necessary/truly helpful. The gentleman at cabelas was truly helpful but evident go into explaining arrow selection and stuff like that. He said that I would do well with what he set me up with but I got no idea. Which sights,rest, are preferred for beginers what shoul I look at upgrading to? Biggest thing is the top sight is set to 20 yards for me. How do I set the other 2 points. The bow dissent come with any instruction. It's a trueglown3 point sight. What ranges shoul I zero them to. And lastly for fear of length of this post where is a good site I can really read and learn from YouTube is good but I find the same 15 vids. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start shooting. Haven't been this excited since my dad first took me out with my christmas present wHen I was 7 (my first 22)
reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
reaper

Default New

For those of u wondering I am not trolling my account is 2011 but with 3 boys 2 with severe med issues it has in fact taken me this long to have the extra cash to get started. It just crossed my mind a 2011 account saying he was new is a bit of a conundrum
Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

I like the wrist strap as one thing that is a definite do not do is grip the bow hard; the strap should do a part of holding the bow. Stabs are quite helpful in settling the bow down (note: there some that just basically help dampen vibration). I like one that is around 12"; long enough for me to feel it's doing something but short enough to still use in the field. Most people set up a 3 pin for 20, 30, and 40. Do you 20 pin first and then do the other 2 in order. With you 20 pin on you'll mostly be just moving the other 2 pins up and down. You may find at distance your L/R may need to be tweaked a hair; if it's way off you should have your shop check the tuning on the bow.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
smk

smk is on a distinguished road

reaper, try hunters friend site, it a good site a lot of good information, You tube is good too, try how to shoot a bow, how to hold a bow, paper tuning backward tuning, last but not least when you shoot on Post you might run into a old retiree at the range
smk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

reaper , go ahead and shoot your bow some and if you are doing that at a place where there might be some experience shooters , ask them .

I'd set a three pin sight at 20, 30 and 40 yards !

I'd start out with at least a dozen arrows that are all the same , you'll be amazed at how they become lost and broken !

Good luck to you and please keep us inform !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
reaper

Default Amazing day

So I spent 4-5 hours on the range today. Found the mcchord sportsman club and joined was less than 40 dollars for the whole year. Great people, seriously great. I got the 20 sighted in with about a 6 in shot group. Then moved on to the 30 which was a bit harder for me. Talked to a few people. Found out that the rest I have ( it is a triangle brush rest best as I can explain it) wears somewhat quickly. Probably shoot about 250 arrows today mabey more. Also the fetching seemed to being crimped a bit on some of the arrows even tho I was using them odd up like I was told. I was told that I should get a 5 pin sight as opposed to the 3 pin I have currently. Also that I should look into a drop rest. Overall the diamond bow I have is great. Got a sling and 6 in stab on it today as well. Just not sure about the rest. I got the cash for a decent drop away but I've already dropped about 7 in the past 2 days. Kinda wanna hold off a bit. Will the rest I have ruin my arrows? If so any recommendations on a drop away rest. Anyways after awhile I linked up with a guy and shot the 3d course. Learned people have different bows for hunting 3d and target shooting. Why ? Won't 1 do all of the above well? Anyways was amazing ended the day with a decent 3 arrows in other 30 and a real nice group in the 8-x circle. I'm going again tomorrow. I love this it's almost zen like. Every shoot I relax a little more. This is like therapy
Old 06-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
reaper

Default Funny stuff

So after 10 years of marriage I just found out tonight that my wife used to shoot competivly in college... Talk about a wt:censored moment. Now I'm wondering what else I still haven't learned about the woman I love..... Lol this is just funny. I guess I got a instructor after all. She doesn't want to shoot tho.. Any ideas how to get her interested in it again. She says it would be too hard with both of us shooting with the 3 boys ( 7 6 1 /2) I'm open to ideas
Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
duanelane

duanelane will become famous soon enough

With 3 boys it could get interesting.Got my daughter into it at 5 by letting her tag along with a recurve ,let her keep score for me and help judge yardage.One of the other guys had a son close to her age so we started shooting together and that helped to keep them both interested. Now there both 15 and 16 kickin our buts on the course.........
duanelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
reaper

Default Another great day

So I made another trip to cabelas today... Quickly becoming my favorite home away from home. Anyways I bought a trophy ridge micro cypher 5 sight ... Omg it is amazing such a improvement over my trueglow 3 pin. I can consistently hit the 40 now as I can see it due to the smaller pin size. It also has a light built in to make the pins brighter on sunny days. It was great. Took a bit to zero and I lost an arrow on the first shot. I did not realize I could shoot through a pressure treated 2x4 as it went high into the target stand. 6 bucks gone there but the rest were grouping very well and only took a bit to get her sighted in. Sighted it for 20-40 in 5 yd increments the 3d range at the club only goes to 40 yds and I'm still not confident shooting farther yet but wow. I also have a octane 3 point bristle rest that I will be upgrading to a ripcord code red drop away rest when I can convince the wife to let me have another hundred... Will have to wait til payday but its amazing. So after a few days I'm thinking might want to try the clubs novice shoot in a month or so. I just don't want to go out looking like a total amature. How much practice is good for training for a shoot, how much is too much?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
So after 10 years of marriage I just found out tonight that my wife used to shoot competivly in college... Talk about a wt:censored moment.
Now that's funny
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
smk

smk is on a distinguished road

its never to much now just have fun and go shoot some 3d you cant go wrong
smk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
stevepro65

stevepro65 is on a distinguished road
Default Too much practice?

@ reaper,While I agree in part with smk,I think I may have taken a few too many shots the two days day before my first shoot.

This is turning out for me to be as much an athletic pursuit as anything else I have done for sport.I was an elite level cyclist for many years (and still dabble in racing) and got back into snowboard racing this past winter.I can tell you that, physically at least,even if you and I are pulling draw weights within our rookie abilities,we are still exerting the specific muscles recruited in shooting.That includes just holding the bow for aiming,let alone drawing.I have gotten the advice to practice holding and aiming for longer and longer periods to help those muscles strengthen,since I will possibly need to when hunting and waiting for the perfect shot with the bow drawn.Since I pretty much treat everything like a sport,I have taken this 'workout' approach to heart;treating some of my sessions like interval workouts on my bike.Shooting from different positions,angles and at different locations will help us prepare for the adaptations we will have to make for successful hunting.

So,can you practice too much? I think it's more a question of timing of and recovery between sessions,especially when taking dozens of shots in one session.Because I'm new and excited,I took about 100 shots two days before and easily 60 shots the day before the shoot. I was feeling fatigue in my arms and shoulders after the first loop of 10 targets and was cooked after two loops.Of course there was a silver lining to that;I probably would have lost my last arrows on the third loop anyway,hehe.
stevepro65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Quote:
So,can you practice too much?
Certainly, once you start getting tired you can make mental and form mistakes; continuing this just reinforces bad habits. You are far better off just stopping for the day. If my practice starts out bad and doesn't get better after a few sets I just stop for the day; sometimes it's just not there.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
reaper

Default New rest

So I got a ripcord code red drop away rest yesterday. I'm loving this thing. Seems much better than the octane 3 bristle one. I'm thinking this bow is done with upgrades now. Just need to find more time to shoot.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
duanelane

That's what your thinking now. Some new gizmo will pop up somewhere and you will have to try it. Every year I tell my self I don't nead all these gizmos to shoot good, but I keep trying them out.......................
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
reaper

Default Great day

So I went out again today. Shot with 4 other ppl. They had been shooting for some years and I actually outshot 3 of them. Im grouping nicely in the 40 now and in the 20 generally have my arrows touching. Haven't split one yet tho. I'm happy about that at 89 bucks a dozen. I notice the farther out I get the drop off gets much greater. I'm shooting 60 lb draw. How far can u take a deer at with that weight? Also I'm loving the 3d range my club has. Shooting different elevations is difficult with estimating range. Also I still have to become familiar with the different kill zones on the 3d targets. Seems to vary a bit. Any tips on range estimation and how do u learn the kill zones other than just shooting?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Yep; the 11 ring is not always where you think it would be. Just have to get familiar with them. As for distance it is going to come down to your ability to place the arrow more than the bow itself. If you are capable of making a clean kill a very high percentage of the time under hunting conditions at 40yds.+ then knock yourself out. The thing that really bites me is having "ravines" between me and the target. Some guys like to get a good picture in their head of what 10yds. looks like then decide how many of those there are to the target. I just use the I shear volume over time of looking at targets method!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
duanelane

I use the 10 yrd method looking at trees and stakes in the shooting lane. Personaly I never shoot a deer over 20yrds if there farther away I figure they out smarted me.Some days I like to set there and just watch them ive learnd a lot watching.