Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
skull

skull is on a distinguished road
Default help

hello l use to shoot a martin lynx but it is not around anymore and lwant to 3d shoot again but its been 7 years and so many choices out there what is a good bow to go to now adays
skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ScottC

In my experience there are many good bows out there. Just need to know what your price range is, and go and shoot as many bows as you can at your bow shop, and buy what feels right for you.

Scott
Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
skull

thinking of spending around 800
Old 01-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
ScottC

I shot a Diamond, Darton, Hoyt and Mathew's. All good bows. I personally went with a Mathew's Switchback. It was the best shooting bow for me.

As I said in another post, I didn't have many options to try as I shoot LH and my shop had a limited amount of them to test drive.

Scott
Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
skull

l was thinking of the swicthback or the martin cougar c4and l want to shoot 3d outside but all these new bows are so fast what is a good speed to look for
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
ScottC

I can't answer the speed question for you. Just remember IBO speeds are for a certain criteria (draw length & weight), and actual speeds will be lower, on average. For example, my SB is rated at an estimated 318fps IBO. Well, that is at a 30" draw at 70#. I shoot 60# @ 27.5", so my speed will be less. But it is plenty of speed for hunting & 3D, from what I have been told by my shop pro.

Scott
Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull
l was thinking of the swicthback or the martin cougar c4and l want to shoot 3d outside but all these new bows are so fast what is a good speed to look for
On my 3D rig I like as much speed as I can get without compromising accuracy. I want the arrow's trajectory to be as flat as possible. Sometimes my shot may be from 50 yards. Thus, higher velocities/flatter trajectores afford me some forgiveness if I misjudge the yardage on the longer shots.

For hunting, I tend to a heavier arrow with less speed. Since I seldom shoot at deer at over 25 yards. Thus, trajectory is not as critical. I am looking for penetration when hunting.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Dave Marshall

Default reply to ad for new 3-D outfit

Skull,

Saw your ad about you wanting to get back into 3-D shooting. Didn't say whether it was bowhunting class or freestlye though. I have a complete outfit for sale in the "archery equipment-buy, sell, trade" section of this web sight and invite you to browse through it. I was a 3-D and tourny shooter for years, and shot bowhunter class before I went freestyle. The outfit I have up for sale is free style, but all it would take is a bowhunter class pin sight and a much shorter stabilizer to be a 3-D outfit.

Dave Marshall