Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
rusty

rusty is on a distinguished road
Question Yardage Estimation

Would like any help for any exercises for estimation yardage for 3D shoots.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Rusty, I am no expert on 3-D.

I struggle with yardage estimation myself in 3-D shoots. Here is what I have learned from some good shooters.

First, they all use a different techniques. All said that you build your own technique as you practice.

Some said they can spot the "20 Yard" mark in a shooting lane very easily. Then they focus on the remaining yardage.

Some said they look for the mid way point to the target and then double that.

I am looking forward to some tips on estimating yardage myself.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 AM   #3
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road

What I do: I have learned what 20 yrds and 5 yrds look like. The first thing I do is find my 20, then work 5 yrds at a time to the target. Next, I cut the distance in half. I see where the half way point is compared to my 20. I will also work backwards from the target to myself. The biggest thing to remember is to be smarter than the target. What I mean is if you are completly stumped, make an educated guess, and believe in what you guess. Practice works best with a range finder. It helps to know what the real yardage is. Good luck, Jeff
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefro
Practice works best with a range finder. It helps to know what the real yardage is.
THX Jeff....this answers a question I was intending to ask!

Our club has 3-D targets set up all year. There are no stakes so you can shoot from wherever you wish. This has been a very good learning tool for me and a bunch others.

We sorta play a game when we shoot the course. We rotate shooters and let the first shooter pick the spot everyone else shoots from. All that said...

The last time we shot, I had an idea of using a range finder "after" everyone had shot to see if we had been close in estimating the yardage. Thus if we had a poor shot, we could see if it was a poor shot, or, a misjudgement of distance.

Since range finders aren't allowed on a competition course, I thought it would be nice to verify what went on during the practice rounds. Even tho I only have an optical range finder, I see that I misjudge alot on the 30 yard plus targets.

I had the opportunity to shoot several times with a gentleman, Butch Hall, and he has been a big help to me. He uses a double check system for judging yardage. He uses a system much like your's Jeff. He also stated to be confident about your decision.

On a side note. Can someone recommend a fairly priced range finder for 3-D practice and general hunting?

THX in advance,

Pinky
Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
TMan

TMan is on a distinguished road

Bushnell and Nikon both make an excellent product, for a good price.

It's real handy to check your yardage post shot when you practice. After a while you can usually get within 3 - 4 yds, half that for the close shots.
TMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
GregH

GregH is on a distinguished road

Bushnell yardage pro sport. I think it's about the cheapest you can buy, and it's plenty accurate enough for archery ranges. It seems that most of the higher end range finders are more accurate out past 400 or so yards.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

good luck
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
R.Sean

R.Sean is on a distinguished road

I estimate in 10 yd incraments from target back and could only wish I was as good at my shooting.I shoot 10yds. in my basement off season and priodically through the season to keep brushed up on yardage and form this guestimating works great for me.Pick a distance and shoot it shoot it shoot it!The distance sinks in.give er a try hope it works and good luck!
R.Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
dbrackins

dbrackins is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dbrackins

Why are the range finders expecially laser, good to 400 yards. Can't they just make an inexpensive 100 yards or so... I don't intend to shoot over that much and my checkbook can't handle the upper end prices. I do like opti-logics range finders though.
dbrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
AKStickKiller

AKStickKiller is on a distinguished road

before I could afford a range finder I took a deer target to the football feild just to see how it looked. worked good if your hunting deer around the same size as the target. If its a big deer it looks closer though.
AKStickKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Size matters

Very good point, I never focus on the target as they come in all shapes and sizes and can miss lead you. Pick something as close as you can to the target that you are more familiar with, like a tree, rock, or even the ground.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road
Talking yardage estimation

yardage is by far the determination in 3d shooting. I shoot competative 3d in ASA. I have had problems with yardage's in the past. I talked to a few pro's that I ran into at A National ASA shoot in Pennsylvania. He said to get a rope thats 5 yards long and tie a ball to it. Then tie it to your leg. When ever your out side. toss it around at different scenery. in the woods, open fields, hilly area, up and down hill. once you can determin what 5 yards look like. you can judge better. going to long on your rope will throw you off. 5 yards is much easier to judge than ten or 20. I have done this for 5 months now and can effectivly judge yardage to 40 yds. Has greatly helped my scoring.
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #12
Kygirl

Kygirl is on a distinguished road
Default Nikon rangefinder

My personal favorite is the Nikon 440.. it is accurate to the 1/2 yard, extremely clear and my favorite part - it magnifies to 8x if needed. This has been a tremendous help when hunting and lack of movement is necessary!
Kygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
ScottC

ScottC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ScottC
Default Opti-Logic XT Series

I use an Opti-Logic XT series rangefinder. It is tilt compensated to calculate up or down hills. It is excellent for tree stands when hunting. Bit more accurate in measurements.

Quote:
From their site:
The XT Series Tilt-Compensated Laser Rangefinder combines a pulsed laser rangefinder and a vertical angle sensor in a lightweight, easy-to-use package that is ideal for shooting applications that require precision distance measurements uphill or downhill. These hand-held rangefinders are capable of measuring line-of-sight distances to non-cooperative targets from 4 yards up to 1000 yards away, depending on model, target size and reflectivity. Using an internal electronic tilt sensor, the Tilt-Compensated Laser Rangefinder is also capable of automatically correcting for vertical angle with 0.1 degree resolution to provide the true horizontal distance to an uphill or downhill target. True horizontal distance is especially important for any application that require a projectile to be launched at an angle: For example, bow hunting and 3-D Archery, rifle hunting and SWAT team applications, golfing and much more.
Scott
Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default Thank you

Thank you all very much as I am just beginning my 3D shooting experience this year and had no idea how to go about ranging my yardage. When I hunt I simply go around my stand and pick out landmarks that are 20 yards from it. What are the maximum distances that targets will be set up at tournaments? Thanks again to you all.

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
BIGHAWK

BIGHAWK is on a distinguished road

Here something I have learn to use for practicing judging distant. I got this from the Micheal Braden video and it works for me. Take rope 50 yards long, at 20 yards tie a rag( what every color you like) every 5 yards after that tie rags. Drag this rope around, then stop, turn around and look at the rags. Walk thru woods, uphills, down hills. This has helped me along. Also shooting indoor 5 spots Looking at 20 yards so much it becomes easy to find 20 yards if you see it so much. I hope this helps.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL

Last edited by BIGHAWK; 02-13-2006 at 02:02 PM.
BIGHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote