Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
tiffinthecity

tiffinthecity is on a distinguished road
Default Archery Girl has a question

I'm new to the sport...been taking lessons since January and I'm not too bad on an indoor 30 yard target at the local archery shop. I'm hesitant to ask too many question of the guys hanging out there cuz I'm getting the impression they don't see too many girls in the place but here goes: I would love to do 3D indoor/outdoor tournaments. How do you know when you're good enough to participate and are girls welcome at these tournaments that are held at the Rod and Gun Clubs? I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable going to such a "guy place". What's the consensus? I'm kind of a girly girl but I like guy sports like NASCAR and baseball......would I fit in???

Thanks guys!!!!!
tiffinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

First off, in my area their are several female shooters, They goto the shoots and hangout just like anyone else. And their more then welcome!!! Now as far as you being good enough, if you can shoot your bow, you are good enough, you wont get any better at it by not doing it, and never say im not good enough to go shoot here, or go shoot at this place....... If you like shooting your bow, and have fun, go do all the shooting you can, its the only way to get better!! Their are even a few ladies on this site that chime in and do some posting. so its not only a mans sport anymore. If you have any questions, post them up, lots of helpfull people here.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
two_shoes
YOU! Get in my belly!

two_shoes is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffinthecity View Post
I'm new to the sport...been taking lessons since January and I'm not too bad on an indoor 30 yard target at the local archery shop. I'm hesitant to ask too many question of the guys hanging out there cuz I'm getting the impression they don't see too many girls in the place but here goes: I would love to do 3D indoor/outdoor tournaments. How do you know when you're good enough to participate and are girls welcome at these tournaments that are held at the Rod and Gun Clubs? I think I might feel slightly uncomfortable going to such a "guy place". What's the consensus? I'm kind of a girly girl but I like guy sports like NASCAR and baseball......would I fit in???

Thanks guys!!!!!
I agree with bullspotter! You'll be welcomed at any event! Look here for shoots and check out your local shop. When you register, let them know you are new to 3D and they will set you up with someone who'll show you the ropes. Once you try it, you'll be hooked! Good luck!
'06 Mathews Apex 7
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10
two_shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

I thought I was going to be the only girl when I decided to go to the club shoots and I was suprised, there were a few others. Don't be afraid to jump right in. I was also afraid to go, cuz I didn't know a single person, but I quickly met a lot of helpful guys and even joined the club. Sounds like you may fit in just fine, I too like NASCAR and football and some other "guy" activities, but I won't list them

Ask all the questions you have. I asked a lot of dumb questions when I started posting here and the guys helped alot.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
tiffinthecity

Default Thanks Guys!

I'm still not feeling like I belong even in the archery shop, let alone a rod and gun club. You sure I won't be out of place?

Thanks from the Big (rotten) Apple,

Tiff
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 is on a distinguished road

I think the best way to be comfortable is to find some friends to shoot with you at the tournaments. I went to my first 3D alone and had fun, but i have enjoyed it a lot more now that i have made friends to shoot with.

But to answer your question, yes, you will be more than welcome at any tournament worth its salt.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

One of my friends has a 13 year old daughter that goes 3D shooting with us. We all have a lot of fun. The thing to do is get advice, be openminded and focus on having fun. The shoots we go to have plenty of females both adult and children. Don't be timid about asking for help and introducing yourself. This sport is a nice community.

Have fun and welcome to the sport/forum/obsession !

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Toughen Up! That's what I had to do, I missed out on a month of fun shooting with the club, cuz I was to chicken to go by myself. Now, I wish I had started earlier. You won't know until you try it. It is so much fun and this is such a family sport now days, you will be suprised.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Ronhop
RIP

Yes, folllow Wheels lead. Jump in there and have some fun.

Ron
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
tiffinthecity

Default Is there anyone else on here from metro NYC?

Just wondering
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
Ronhop
RIP

Quote:
Just wondering
Not sure but there are a few from NYS, all around I guess... I'm not sure where but I'm sure the few people could come out of the closet and help you navigate...

I'm in the Midwest. Wheels is on the West Coast. We're kind more or less all over the place but it's a good group of people trying to help each other out as well as some badgering in between.

If I had my choice of a place to visit to shoot with somebody it would probably be the West coast... It's warmer there now.

I hope you jump into this and have fun. Don't be shy.

Ron
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Where are all our NYers tonight. You could probly get some quick buddies here to help you get started.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
Ronhop
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
Where are all our NYers tonight. You could probly get some quick buddies here to help you get started.
Yeah, I planted the seed but nobody has bit yet...

Ron
Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Not sure but there are a few from NYS, all around I guess... I'm not sure where but I'm sure the few people could come out of the closet and help you navigate...
I'm in the Midwest. Wheels is on the West Coast. We're kind more or less all over the place but it's a good group of people trying to help each other out as well as some badgering in between.

If I had my choice of a place to visit to shoot with somebody it would probably be the West coast... It's warmer there now.
I hope you jump into this and have fun. Don't be shy.

Ron
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Yeah, I planted the seed but nobody has bit yet...

Ron
They are probly all in bed snoozin
Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
Ronhop
RIP

Right on Wheels.

We're looking at a possible 2" of SNOW tonight and blowing snow tomorrow.

Well, I guess you don't have that there, which is why I chose the West coast as my desired shooting destination right now.

I still wonder where the NYS folks are...

Have a good night. It's past my bedtime.

tiffinthecity, you get out there and have fun and meet people. This set of forums are very good on this site and I recommend that you spend time here and post questions. You will get some very good answers...

Man, I still wonder where the NYS guys are... But, maybe we need a break from that... Sorry guys, I could not resist...

Ron
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #17
chelleo

chelleo is on a distinguished road

Yes to the group....another lady here...in California as well as Wheels. I was born in NY if that helps LOL. I'm pretty much the only woman that comes to our club meetings most of the time but my hubby comes with me and we all have alot of fun. I get razzed alot because alot of them shoot bare bow and I'm miss dial a shot LOL. Can't live without my sight and scope. Go and have fun ....
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #18
tiffinthecity

Default Thanks for all the feedback

I'll keep checking back...well it's late and the city never sleeps but I do! Nite all!!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Thanks guys!!!!!
Howdy Tiff to the forum. Jump right in and don't look back you will meet some people along the way who just don't understand that archery is about having fun but just mover along and I guarantee you will be in the group in no time. Still calling out our NY boys???? Adam,Ed,Dan,Papito??? Oh well again and post any questions you may have I am sure we have all asked the same ones.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #20
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks guys!!!!!
First off, dont worry about being good enough to shoot 3d. Guy's wont laugh.
there are alot of guy's who are really bad. I feel woman are easier to train any ways. They arent bull headed, and usually dont have bad habits yet. You''ll be surprised. You'll probably beat a few of them too. And there "ARE ALOT OF WOMAN INTO 3D." Jus go to any nation ASA shoot. There's a ton of woman there. Our club has quit a few of woman shooting bows now..
And where are located. Maybe on eof our emebers can show you around~!
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #21
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Hi Tifff,
we all had ta start somers, We all had tha same inhabitions ,we all shot like a novice.
Be forewarned it can become your greatest vice.
Still shootin em 23 yrs latter and lovin it more everyday.

Enjoy

, Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #22
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Did someone say the scourge of the East? (AKA NYC)

I'm in the southern Pocono's. We have a few New Yorkers but I live closer to the city then they do I think. We have a few guys here that are from NJ also.

If you nervous about going without knowing anyone why not make the drive down to the Reinhart 100 in Greencastle? There will be a bunch of us there and its months away so you have plenty of time to learn who to be afraid of
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #23
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Did someone say the scourge of the East? (AKA NYC)

I'm in the southern Pocono's. We have a few New Yorkers but I live closer to the city then they do I think. We have a few guys here that are from NJ also.

If you nervous about going without knowing anyone why not make the drive down to the Reinhart 100 in Greencastle? There will be a bunch of us there and its months away so you have plenty of time to learn who to be afraid of
Do not wait Greencastle is not til like the end of July go to the next shoot you can and get started take plenty of arrows and HAVE FUN. Then you can go to Greencastle and slap these fellas around the course.

"HONDA"
Old 04-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #24
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

look at all the fun I missed....damb wood chip...

I am Adam, I am the big mouth......

Brokenarrow, is Ed.....he puts up a tuff guy attitude.....

Papito (Peter) is the resident peterer of the release trigger....

Bowhunter911 is Dan, he is a 911 operater.....and claims to betheworlds sexiest archer.....

my gun club is having a shoot this weekend and if you want to make the drive, you would be more than welcome....theres a bunch of guys and gals comming from all over.....as longas the rain stays away it should be a fun shoot.....
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #25
'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
look at all the fun I missed....damb wood chip...

I am Adam, I am the big mouth......

Brokenarrow, is Ed.....he puts up a tuff guy attitude.....

Papito (Peter) is the resident peterer of the release trigger....

Bowhunter911 is Dan, he is a 911 operater.....and claims to betheworlds sexiest archer.....

my gun club is having a shoot this weekend and if you want to make the drive, you would be more than welcome....theres a bunch of guys and gals comming from all over.....as longas the rain stays away it should be a fun shoot.....

Just look for the guy hugging the bears.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #26
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
Do not wait Greencastle is not til like the end of July go to the next shoot you can and get started take plenty of arrows and HAVE FUN. Then you can go to Greencastle and slap these fellas around the course.
SHHHHH I'm trying to keep myself from coming in last!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #27
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

Quote:
SHHHHH I'm trying to keep myself from coming in last!
Oh well crap why did'nt you PM me big guy......................sorry.

"HONDA"
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #28
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
Oh well crap why did'nt you PM me big guy......................sorry.
guess I'll have to just get Bowman really drunk on Friday night (should take 3 beers or so) and then make him shoot first with his hangover... think I may stand a chance then
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #29
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
guess I'll have to just get Bowman really drunk on Friday night (should take 3 beers or so) and then make him shoot first with his hangover... think I may stand a chance then
should take one beer or so......
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #30
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
First off, dont worry about being good enough to shoot 3d. Guy's wont laugh.
there are alot of guy's who are really bad. I feel woman are easier to train any ways. They arent bull headed, and usually dont have bad habits yet. You''ll be surprised. You'll probably beat a few of them too. And there "ARE ALOT OF WOMAN INTO 3D." Jus go to any nation ASA shoot. There's a ton of woman there. Our club has quit a few of woman shooting bows now..
And where are located. Maybe on eof our emebers can show you around~!
They guys I have shot with have always been really nice, even when I am making fun of them . And at the last 3D, I beat 3 out of 4 of the guys I shot with . I was also suprised at how many women were at the shoots. I don't remember seeing so many 7 years ago when I was shooting. (wow, 7 years suddenly sounds like a long time .)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #31
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
They guys I have shot with have always been really nice, even when I am making fun of them . And at the last 3D, I beat 3 out of 4 of the guys I shot with . I was also suprised at how many women were at the shoots. I don't remember seeing so many 7 years ago when I was shooting. (wow, 7 years suddenly sounds like a long time .)
Now why would you be making fun of them?? You keep beating them and I am sure the comments are coming your way real soon.

"HONDA"
Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #32
Pinwheel1969
#1 THREAD KILLER

Pinwheel1969 is on a distinguished road

LOL !!! woman take pride in beating men at anything. Even if the guys stink at shooting... like it's a big deal or something !! LOL !!!

now you want some fun !!! Get some woman and play 3d poker !!! thats a blast...
I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
RANGER BOW STRINGS
Pinwheel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #33
dodgedude2003

dodgedude2003 is on a distinguished road

Archers are about the friendliest group of people I've ever been around.
We are all out there to have fun. And they tend to be helpful, without being pushy.

In about 5 years, my daughter will be out shooting. She's 3 now.
If I could just get my wife shooting...
dodgedude2003 is offline   Reply With Quote