Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 06-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road
Default Hooter Shooter....sp?

Ok, I'll be first.

I have been away from 3-D archery for quite some time. I was asking some questions about arrows recently and a particular arrow, the Gold Tip Pro X-cutter, came up. I wanted to try them out. But, I was told that they were "over spined" for my bows draw weight.

The owner of a shop told me that he had talked to the company about this issue. They told him that their tests with a "Hooter Shooter" (sp) had shown that the arrows were compatible for my rig.

Now, what is a "hooter shooter"? I was reluctant to ask this in front of a bunch of seasoned guys.

THX in Advance,

Pinky
Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #2
Jefro

Jefro is on a distinguished road
Default Hooter shooter

Pinky-

A hooter shooter is a devise that you put your bow in and it will shoot the arrow for you. This takes away all human error ( bad form ). It is very consistant, shot after shot.

As far as the X-cutters go, I have a buddy that I shoot with that has just set some of these up. He loves them. They paper tear and group very well for him. He is shooting a Hoyt Ultra-tec Xt-3000 limbs w/ spiral cams at 30.5 in. 61 lbs. at 280-284 fps.

Hope this helps. Jeff
Jefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Jefro is right... The hooter shooter is a shooting machine. http://www.spot-hogg.com/HooterShooter.html

This will show you what it is.

As far as the X-cutters. I too have heard that they are stiff. I have no real first hand experience with them. That said, I would rather have a stiff arrow than a weak one.

I know there is a lot of people shooting the X-cutters and love them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
Pinky

THX for the replies. You guys answered my questions.

THX for the link Chris.

I am having good success with the x-cutters so far. I did cut them 1 inch longer (30") than my 2512 aluminums (29") to help them flex some on launch. I picked up 12 fps with the same weight points.

I have not paper tested the arrows yet. I normally set the paper about 3 feet in front of me. Is that the way to do it? I would appreciate any tips on this.

THX Again - Pinky
Old 06-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Paper tuning. Try a few different yardages. Don't just stay at one yardage and think your done. You could be standing where the arrow is between flex stages.

Sometimes I get great holes at 3 ft but when I move back to 6-10ft I start to see a small tear.

Try 3ft, 10ft, & 10 yards. If clean holes for all three then you are in good shape.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
Pinky

THX Chris. I have never paper tuned at any distance other than 3 feet.

I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. Maybe one day, when I grow up, I'll be better at all this tuning stuff. hehehe

THX again
Old 07-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
OutbackRuss

OutbackRuss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OutbackRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Paper tuning. Try a few different yardages. Don't just stay at one yardage and think your done. You could be standing where the arrow is between flex stages.

Sometimes I get great holes at 3 ft but when I move back to 6-10ft I start to see a small tear.

Try 3ft, 10ft, & 10 yards. If clean holes for all three then you are in good shape.

never thought about that but wow its common sense, i will deffinatly do that.
Here's my setup Mathews Outback, Alpine Soft-Loc 5 arrow Quiver, Impact Solo-site, NAP Quicktune 2000 RG Arrow rest, Vibracheck stabilizer, Sims Ultra Limb Savers, Scott Mongoose NCS Release. Shooting Easton Axis Arrows (400's)

"The beast is dead, Long live the beast!"
OutbackRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
hoytsupertecshooter

hoytsupertecshooter is on a distinguished road
Default X-Cutter's

I am shooting the X-cutter Pro's through my Hoyt Supertec at 310 fps. I was shooting the ultra-light pro's at 60 lbs and was shooting them at 318 fps at 60 lbs. I decided to try the X-cutter's to gain in line cutting. They acutally weight 26 grains more but between 20 and 30 yards I only have about a 1/4" drop. So pretty much between 20 and thirty I only need one pin! I love that due to the fact that I am pretty confident at guessing the yardages at that far and I don't have to worry about 26, 27 yard targets. My next pin is a 35 yard pin.

Shoot Straight And Introduce someone to the World of Archery!

Shane
hoytsupertecshooter is offline   Reply With Quote