Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
MO.HICK

MO.HICK is on a distinguished road
Default F.o.c

I here a lot about front of center. How do you figure this and how important is it? I know that it is how much weight is in the front of the center line of the arrow. I get different ideas of what is acceptable and what is not. Like 7 to 10% is good and this weekend I was told that you want 12 to 15% in front of center.

Thanks Mo.Hick
MO.HICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
crafty

crafty is on a distinguished road

Ive heard some about it too. I heard 12 to 15 myself but i would like to know the right answer also. Or atleast some variables to go by....Im sure someone with some insight will chime in here and shine some light on the subject..
crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough

I have heard many different schools of thought. Some debated where/ how to measure and what the correct percentage should be. To me the FOC debate is like asking someone if a longer A2A is better than a shorter A2A. (Because we all know that longer is better)
As far as I know no one as scientifically done any kid of analyses that proofs or disproof’s the FOC theory that the theory can equate to a universal percentage for all arrows. (Where’s Mythbuster when you need them)

What I get out of this theory is that the arrow’s FOC will determine how it will behave in the air. Higher FOC will give you a more stable arrow and less range and a lower FOC will give you more range but less stability. So… based off of everything that I have read and people I have spoken with… I set all my arrows for 3D to 8-9% and hunting to 12 -15%.

These guidelines are what I was given from a shooter at my club (which means nothing to me):

Field / FITA: 11-16%
3D : 6% - 12%
Hunting : 10-15%

I also know that Easton gives some guidelines for this also, but can’t get to it because of the fun police at work won’t let me get to the webpage.

At the end of the day, there are so many factors that play with each individual’s arrow that it is hard to say what the correct percentage FOC should be for an arrow. These are just rough guidelines. If you are not shooting pro, hitting where you want your arrow to go and know that your arrow is not 60% FOC, than don’t sweat it

I hope this helps,
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Download the Easton Tuning Guide from Easton's WEB site.
At the very end there is a FOC page that has calculations and recommendations for FOC.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
3dhunter

3dhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 3dhunter

FOC – Front of Center: Aluminum’s at 7-9%
ACC types at 9-11% (11.04% & 1.5 grains)
Heavier hunting arrows at 10-15%

(1) FOC is 100 x D/L
(2) D – Distance from center of shaft to center of arrow gravity.
(3) L – Length of completed arrow.

For me, my ACC's work better on the high side; I also keep a 1.5 grain difference between my lightest and heaviest arrows (no more than this and tighter if I can get it, this means weighing EVERYTHING but the glue, and I'd do that if I could). I would worry more about my form and weights than anything else.

When balancing your arrow to find the center ofthe arrow, use the smallest balance you can find. This will probably differ for everyone, I use the edge of a knife blade.
3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Deezlin

Deezlin is on a distinguished road

I think for a hunting arrow the FOC needs to be kept high. This would vary a little with the anticipated shooting distances and the speed you wish to obtain. The heavier FOC will keep the point from planing as bad and lessen wind drift in general. The point weight and effects on spine though are an even more important consideration.

I do a lot of FITA shooting and can tell the difference point weight makes in grouping at a distance. However, this distance is usually 60 yards and above. I am not sure, of the exact cause though. I feel it is mainly on the spine, but spine and FOC are both interactive.

Last edited by Deezlin; 06-15-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Deezlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
MO.HICK

Thanks for all the replies. The more we can learn the better we all get. I have learned a lot on this site.

Mo.Hick
MO.HICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough

Now that I am on the home computer without the fun-police blocking the important websites that I need: I found a few that I think maybe helpful on explaining FOC a little better.

http://www.socalarchery.com/Informat...f%20center.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/joetapley/foc2.htm

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Ca...ion-guide4.htm

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery9.html

http://www.archery-engineering.co.za...calculator.htm

I hope this helps anyone intrested...
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
MO.HICK

Thanks for the web sites Jay Are. They were helpful

Mo.Hick