Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Tim Hansen

Tim Hansen is on a distinguished road
Default release trigger position?/punching

I am trying to perfect (improve) my form for 3d and hunting, I shoot a tru ball tornado release. I was told that it should be in my second nuckle of my pointer finger when I shoot. I had been shooting with it in my first-- feels cramped in the second. I really punch two out of 30 shots and need to get rid of that buisness! I was also told that I should crank the tension down on the trigger-- did that and misfired three times today, bout punched myself out on one of them. Any suggestions?
Tim Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
BowTech81

BowTech81 is on a distinguished road

First things first, adjust you trigger so you don't kill yourself. I shoot a hurricane tru-fire and I too have the trigger on my second knuckle. I start out by getting locked on my target, then I gently touch the trigger, light enough so it doesn't go off. An then I start dropping my elbow straight back(while keeping everything locked, pivot at your shoulder) It's kind of like a back tension but with a little more security. It takes practice but is effective
BowTech81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Not good.

Did you mean the tension set less?
I would do the exact opposite.....
I shoot my release with the heaviest springs I can get,cranked down the tension no way.
I shoot with the release in the first joints from the end of my fingers with my hand flat on the palm.
When I draw back,
I put my thumb on the trigger but on the housing as well,I give my thumbs brain something to hold on to,that way it isn't thinking by itself.
It has to be adjusted for only scapula motion.
Not for anything else.
You should be able to put your thumb on the trigger without it going off at all.
If it's misfiring you should adjust the caliper and the trigger to placement that cannot confuse the two.
Travel should be closer to zero than too much,if the travel is set too much it will create irratic shots for sure,ya just can't get any reality of when a release will fire when there is too much spongy .
Keep playing.You'll get it.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Yeh, crank down means put more tension on the trigger, not less. Another trick that works very well is to use your middle finger instead of the index. It's not as sensitive and thus cannot feel the trigger. Makes you concentrate on the aiming more, which is what you should be doing anyway.

Shortening the release as suggested may make you feel cramped a bit, but this is how it should be adjusted. You just need to forget about being cramped and just shoot. Your muscles will adjust to it over time.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
sharpshooter60

sharpshooter60 is on a distinguished road
Default Never - Never - Never

Lighten up your trigger, that is the fastest way to really blow up your sub consious mind. Like the rest said, heavy it up so your not scared to put your finger on the trigger. Once your comfortable with that and not worried that it's gona go off when you breath, concentrate on the spot and pull through the shot.