Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Jacobite

Jacobite is on a distinguished road
Default New to archery.general tips?

Names james mcardle or jacobite, iam 19 years of age from england (north east lincs) and deffinatly making archery my life from here onwards umm half english half scottish.

i started archery two days ago , jsut one of those things that ive wanted to do for ages and woza was it special. i had a feelings id be good but man i love it sooo much.

ok so down to zee nitty gritty yes?:P
i didnt see any stickied topics on tips in the forums so i thought id jsut ask as their are so many topics its a pain to search through so many with so little time : )

atm i use a 20 pound recurve bow (being my first lesson) and what ever inch arrows they let me use.

i pull back with my right arm and 3 fingers under the notch.
i pull the mid finger to the corner of my mouth.
i stand legs apart 90 agree to the right (from facing target).
my left hand i hold the bow with the part of my palm jsut under my thumb (allowing the bow to rest on my hand not letting the flex my elbow or allowing the string to bite
i breath in and out before i look at the target adn breath in when i draw. then aim and release when ready then breath.(i do this to calm my body before the shot allowing me to empty my mind and concentrate, umm much like snipers do really )

thru my 2 hour lesson my coach is very pleased with me as i hit almsot all fo ym arrows(at 15yards not much but first lesson) into the goal(yellow circle in centre). i have extremly good groupings with out of 6 ,3-4 arrows hitting roughly the same spot.

ok so theres some background on what ive done and how i operate

Any tips on accuracy? (i found that it wasnt a simple point the arrow head the target and adapted to lower the bow to hit centre everytime). i think this is due to the gap from my right eye(dominate eye also might add) to the side of my mouth.

Or any tips in general would help me greatly...iam a good believer with analysing mentally what i do and then adapting so that i can suceed with anything.

In future when i gof or competitions(which i hope i can do:P) ill be goign bare bow as i see sights and release clips as cheating.(jsut an opinion of skill to me ).

So umm yes any tips ingeneral or on accuracy would help greatly.

Thank you in advanced

Jacobite
Jacobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Names james mcardle or jacobite, iam 19 years of age from england (north east lincs) and deffinatly making archery my life from here onwards umm half english half scottish.

i started archery two days ago , jsut one of those things that ive wanted to do for ages and woza was it special. i had a feelings id be good but man i love it sooo much.

ok so down to zee nitty gritty yes?
i didnt see any stickied topics on tips in the forums so i thought id jsut ask as their are so many topics its a pain to search through so many with so little time

atm i use a 20 pound recurve bow (being my first lesson) and what ever inch arrows they let me use.

i pull back with my right arm and 3 fingers under the notch.
i pull the mid finger to the corner of my mouth.
i stand legs apart 90 agree to the right (from facing target).
my left hand i hold the bow with the part of my palm jsut under my thumb (allowing the bow to rest on my hand not letting the flex my elbow or allowing the string to bite
i breath in and out before i look at the target adn breath in when i draw. then aim and release when ready then breath.(i do this to calm my body before the shot allowing me to empty my mind and concentrate, umm much like snipers do really )

thru my 2 hour lesson my coach is very pleased with me as i hit almsot all fo ym arrows(at 15yards not much but first lesson) into the goal(yellow circle in centre). i have extremly good groupings with out of 6 ,3-4 arrows hitting roughly the same spot.

ok so theres some background on what ive done and how i operate

Any tips on accuracy? (i found that it wasnt a simple point the arrow head the target and adapted to lower the bow to hit centre everytime). i think this is due to the gap from my right eye(dominate eye also might add) to the side of my mouth.

Or any tips in general would help me greatly...iam a good believer with analysing mentally what i do and then adapting so that i can suceed with anything.

In future when i gof or competitions(which i hope i can do) ill be goign bare bow as i see sights and release clips as cheating.(jsut an opinion of skill to me ).

So umm yes any tips ingeneral or on accuracy would help greatly.

Thank you in advanced

Jacobite
WELCOME to the forum and to archery Jacobite. I have no tips for traditional archery except practice practice practice. As for sights and release aids as cheating.......................guilty. Just remember to have fun and keep an open mind.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Triditional!

The only other thing i can add is!
If you start grouping left and right, loosen your grip on the bow!
I shoot all, compound with trigger,fingers,sights,recurve & longbow!
The fingers under nock,thats how i shoot thats fine!
Looking down the arrow shaft is right.
As you back up you simply allow by pointing the arrow higher the farther you move back like at 40 yds my 55lb recurve is still pretty flat shooting so i aim about 10inches high on the bullseye!
later you will get into using lighter carbon arrows to keep the bow shooting flatter!
Hope this help's,and welcome to our forum!

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
Jacobite

Hehe ty for the replies, and ill take those tips into account specially the left/right grouping
Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
tresmon

tresmon is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. A southern American here, but only been back in the states 8 months. I lived in Inverness(Balloch) for almost 5 months. Backpacked & hiked Ben Nevis(In the dead of winter). Started a fire in a cave by rubbing sticks together,dropping the hot ember on some dried heather. I love the highlands. Next time you get to Inverness, Look up Leo Rose of the Rose clan. (He is running a small church in the Merkinch area. Tell him I sent ya!

My advice: try hard to find proper instruction. Bad habits are REALLY hard to unlearn.

welcome!
Tres
tresmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Jacobite

iam taking instruction from the club at which iam learning from i know when i get free reign i wanna wide view of techniques and tips so that i can find comfortable standing grounds in archery

Concentrate on a single flame and feed all your passions into it-fear, hate, anger-until your mind became empty. Become one with the void,Tam said and you could do anything.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

I use to think it was cheating too, until I tried it
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Jacobite

lol. well i can see how benificial they are but if i can do what a sight does with my head do i need one?

ive promised my self if i cant hit the red or yellow at 40 yads i will use a sight otherwise... forget it:P

Concentrate on a single flame and feed all your passions into it-fear, hate, anger-until your mind became empty. Become one with the void,Tam said and you could do anything.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
nyarcher

nyarcher is on a distinguished road

i'm a cheater too!
nyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
lol. well i can see how benificial they are but if i can do what a sight does with my head do i need one?
ive promised my self if i cant hit the red or yellow at 40 yads i will use a sight otherwise... forget it:P
it's all a matter of opinion and personal preference
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote