Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
BowTech81

BowTech81 is on a distinguished road
Default Five-Spot

Just scored my very first round in 5-spots. Ended up shooting a 282 24x I was pretty happy! 68lbs is way to heavy of draw when shooting 60 arrows!!! Towards the end I dropped one arrow, barely hit the target and scored a big fat 0!!! Much improvement needed, just wanted to share my experience.
Total Hunting setup--Tribute,cobra sidewinder lx,rip-cord drop away rest, s-coil, tru-fire release, Gold-tip 5575 xt hunter 375gr

Last edited by BowTech81; 03-15-2006 at 11:43 PM.
BowTech81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
dzingale

dzingale is on a distinguished road

Congrats on A good score your first time out. It will go up from there.
Danny
http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index.php?referrerid=478
FBSA Member
dzingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
HoytShooter88

HoytShooter88 is on a distinguished road

Well done....the five spots will have you concentrating a little harder...No room for error beyond the 4 ring..
HoytShooter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Tim Hansen

Tim Hansen is on a distinguished road

Awesome, I am in the same boat. I shot my first indoor tourney last weekend. It just happened to be the ISAA indoor championships, boy, what a learning experience. It wasn't my arms that got tired, it was my brain!!! About half way through when we switched targets, I completely let my routine go out the window without realizing it until I had a couple of 4's and i also scored a big fat 0! I was really pretty nervous before the shoot- pacing around the house . But once i got there i don't think i have ever met a group of people that were more inviting . This is a pretty sweet sport that brings all kinds together. Let us know when you get your first 300
Tim Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default Nice Job

Way to go good score BowTech81. 68# is a little high for indoor spots. Just keep concentrating on the X. Again congrats

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

I hate to be the guy who throws cold water, but --

It is not unusual for a good 3D shooter or bowhunter to come indoors and shoot pretty good. However, indoor is a mentally grueling game and these guys usually don't last too long with the higher scores. The guys that shoot 55 X and above are shooting hundreds of arrows a week and it is more for mental discipline that for physical. It's hard to avoid some form of target panic when you are shooting that much. Also, most will have a bow that with a draw weight in the 35 to 50 lb range to reduce shoulder and elbow injurys. The mass weight on these bows is about double that of your bow. This is to make it more stable on the target.

There is nothing wrong with your set-up. You can have some success and a lot of fun shooting indoor with it, but it won't take you to the top of the heap indoors. Your shoulders and elbows will give out before you get there.

I hope that I am not discouraging you. Indoor shooting is my passion. I'm not as good as I will be down the road. I'm suffering through an elbow injury that has lasted several months. Like you I started with a hunting rig, but quickly saw the need for a more specialized bow. I will be shooting in my state indoor championship on the first weekend in April. Since I think that I stand a chance to win, it's very appropriate that the first day is April Fools Day

Good luck,
Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

I dont know if I totally agree w/ you about useing specialized equipment for shooting indoors, I have been shooting my Switchback in two different indoor leagues this winter and I think I am farring pretty well in the one league there are some of the best shooters in the area, they WILL NOT catch me in the points. And these guys are shooting full target set up hoyt protechs w/xt 3000 limbs (long axle to axle), stabilizer that never end, scopes, lights etc. Not saying that Hoyts cant get the job done, I could probably shoot this good w/just about any bow on the market today. The lowest score I have posted in the two leagues is a 294, that day I felt like crap and had every distraction one could have, people coming in the range talking as I was about to release, things falling off of shelves, in the next room. The Indoor game is 100% mental. But I do have a reason for buying that new (to me) Black-Cherry Icon. The main reason for getting the new bow was i think it looks pretty cool The other is the fear of injuring my shoulders or neck. Seen to many people do this. And know what they go thru now, everyday of there lives. Pain.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
BowTech81

BowTech81 is on a distinguished road

I'll keep shooting and see how it fairs. For me right now, archery is about hunting during season, and shooting spots and 3d in the off season to be sharp for the next hunt. If I can go out and slam a few arrows in an X now and again LifeIsGood!! Gotta Love It!!!!!
S-coil
Tru-fire hurricane
Gold-tip XT Hunter
BowTech81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN
The main reason for getting the new bow was i think it looks pretty cool
I can't think of a better reason to get a new bow.

You make a good point. Just having the equipment doesn't mean that you can use it. (there's a good dirty joke in there, but Chris probably won't let me post it)

To me the main point of a specialized target bow is to have one that I can shoot hundreds of practice arrows without injury. I'm going through PT for elbow tendonitis and it's no fun. You don't need a Proelite or Apex to shoot good. The guys in the shoot-off in Vegas could beat most of us with the most un-target-like bow available.

Your Switchback is not a good example of a non-target bow. It may be short, but one was used to shoot some target records in Europe last year. It seems to the balance, smoothness and other factors that make a good target bow. Mathews hit a home run on that design.

As always, it's not the equipment, it's the shooter.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

You know me, pretty is my middle name.....uh never mind that I said that last part
Old 03-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default I agree with Allen

I suppose that on a good day of any shooter yah,It can be done with a hunting rig.I just know I have no intention on shooting a 300 round consistently even with my 3d rig.
I believe most are using a longer axle to axle bow with a spring steel/blade launcher rest,atleast a 5x with a dot or ring in the scope,a long weighted stabilizer,arrows the largest in diameter you can get 2613's/30x's,set at 45-55lbs...or even less.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #12
3dhunter

3dhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 3dhunter
Default my two cents worth...

I agree, drop the poundage, whether it is 3D or Spots. I usually recommend around 63lbs. If your going to stay at around 70 lbs, in 10 yrs, let me know where to send the card for your surgery.

Shooting alot of 3D's helped me with my Indoor game. In 3D I always say; The tougher the shot, the better I like it. Outdoors you end up shooting in so many various positions, you learn to aim and hold steady. This helped me with my spots, the last 300 round I shot was 296 with 36x, I may be off by 2 or 3 x's. This while shooting fingers bowhunter style.

I still believe your form is the most important part in how you shoot. When we tune a bow, we tune it for forgiveness, not for the bow, but for you. The bow will do exactly what you tell it to do, whether it's tuned or not. By tuning the bow, we make it more forgiving for the way you shoot. Shop tune, Paper tune and a verticle/Horizontal tune can make alot of difference in the bows forgiveness and your accuracy.

If your form isn't what it needs to be, get someone to help you...and that doesn't always mean another hunting buddy. Where do you want to be, and what do you need to do to get there?

Thanks for listening,

Keith
3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote