Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
two_shoes
YOU! Get in my belly!

two_shoes is on a distinguished road
Talking First "Robin Hood"

I'm still grinning like an idiot.

So I was warming up for a 3D shoot on Saturday. I hadn't shot from further than 20 yards, so I had to set my 30 & 40 yard pins. I moved over to the 35 yard practice lane and shot 5 arrows. As I walked up with the other guy shooting the other corner of the target, I could only see 4 of my arrows. I stated I must have missed, and they guy replies Ha, not hardly, look closer. I stood there like an idiot for a while. This was more sweet than bitter as I had just purchased the new arrows the night before.

Is this very common? I was shooting the night before and they guy next to me suggested to flip my target over and shoot the 5 spot as my grouping was getting pretty good.

What a BLAST!!!

I didn't do horrible at the 3D shot either.

I love this sport.

-Two Shoes
'06 Mathews Apex 7
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10
two_shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Congrats!.......I hope you have many more!
Old 03-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

yeah not to many though, gets expensive.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 AM   #4
Hypnotikk

Hypnotikk is on a distinguished road

Srry new to archery here, but what kind of arrows were u using? Is a Robin Hood even possible with aluminum arrows? Pardon my ignorance cuz that's what I got on my recurve.

I mean I've got plenty of "double taps" (arrows hitting the spot on the target right next to another forming a sort of "8", a term from firearms shooting) b4, but it be really cool, if I could score a Robin H.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
two_shoes
YOU! Get in my belly!

two_shoes is on a distinguished road

Hypnotikk,

I'm using the Gold Tip Hunter Expeditions 3555. (carbon) First thought was "How cool is this?" Second thought "How will I explain this to the wife with a hugely positive spin so I can buy more arrows?"
LOL

-Two Shoes
'06 Mathews Apex 7
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10
two_shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
MoBowman

MoBowman is on a distinguished road

You can do it with Alum. or carbon but like they say it can get pretty expensive. Good shooting Two_Shoes time to start hitting the 5 spots.

MoBowman ```---------->
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
slow

slow is on a distinguished road

I just got my wife a new bow two weeks ago. She's never shot a bow before but she wanted to try it.

On the first day at the range she did a robin hood. Wow!! She's liking archery.

We go again the next day. Boom another robin hood. Wow! I think.

On the third time out no robin hood - her whisker biscut loosened up so she was all over the place.

On the fourth time out- whisker biscut is fixed - boom another robin hood. OK this is getting out of hand. We had a dozen arrows now we're down to 6.

We're going to the range tonight but I'm making her shoot a 5 spot target.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #8
Hypnotikk

Can anyone show me a picture of a Robin Hood, both with carbon and alluminum arrows?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

cool stuff, most of the arrows today are not as hard to robinhood as the old swedged aluminum arrows were, i have only had one of those, in about 14 years of shooting, the new style carbons with the uni bushings and the aluminum arrows with the uni bushings, are not as tough, ill try to get some pics up here of my swedged arrow robinhodd its really cool, I shot it at 20 yards with a pse thunder flight express at 87 lbs, sunk it in about 9 inches down the inside of the shaft, the arrows were 2114 xx78s 24 inches long with 5 inch fletches. the date on the vane was 2/18/1992.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Hypnotikk

Thanx. Google ain't much help. I keep getting pictures of "Robin Hood" the man.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default Heres a pic from another forum

Its a double RH
Attached Thumbnails
Beginners Archery Range - Click for larger version  

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
NE1C_my_arrow

NE1C_my_arrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow
I just got my wife a new bow two weeks ago. She's never shot a bow before but she wanted to try it.

On the first day at the range she did a robin hood. Wow!! She's liking archery.

We go again the next day. Boom another robin hood. Wow! I think.

On the third time out no robin hood - her whisker biscut loosened up so she was all over the place.

On the fourth time out- whisker biscut is fixed - boom another robin hood. OK this is getting out of hand. We had a dozen arrows now we're down to 6.

We're going to the range tonight but I'm making her shoot a 5 spot target.
Dude, you need to put up your bow and become her manager! That's awesome!! Nothing like doing that to really get you fired up for shooting a bow. Man, it was years before I got my first one..

Robin Hoods are cool.. for about the first two or three times then you start thinking of all the money you just split in half. Last year I had four, and the best one was at the ASA state shoot here in Arkansas. Before this year, I was shooting cheap Redhead carbon arrows becasue I didn't mind to loose those while 3Ding and they only cost about $30 a dozen when they run them on sale. We were done shooting our round and were practicing on the bag along side this guy who was obviously sponsored, I'm not one to really point fingers but this guy was having trouble keeping a 2" group at 20 yards with his $3000 setup and griping to his Dad about how his $100 a half dozen arrows aren't flying like they should and my buddy was standing next to him on the firing line and slapping shafts all over the place with a switchback that he uses for hunting and gold tip XT's... Anyway, were all standing there shooting spots on the bags and I sling one down at the 40 yard target.. Then another, and I hear that weird "squishy" sound of carbon being split.. This sponsored guy is standing next to me and my buddy is on the other side.. I asked by buddy "Did I just do what I think I did.." and he said "Yup."

So, as we're walking back from the bags and we get to the firing line.. I was holding my newly Robin Hooded arrow up and commenting to my buddy how you can buy those cheap $30 a dozen Redheads at any Bass Pro shops... Of course, this didn't make the sponsored guy too happy and he soon left..

Couldn't do that again in a million years, but it was great timing on that particular one.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

great story NE1C, would have liked to see that guy, ill be he dosent tell that story!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
NE1C_my_arrow

NE1C_my_arrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter
great story NE1C, would have liked to see that guy, ill be he dosent tell that story!!!
I don't know.. but it was pretty funny to me. Like I said, never again in a million years could that happen but the timing was perfect that time.

That same day, my and my buddy were playing a little game we like to play.. Well, it's a game but it also helps you to tune your center shot on your bow as well.. You take an old aluminum arrow and stick it in the ground in front of the bag, then shoot arrows at it and try to break it. If you hit it, it'll make a really nice "PLINK" and the part above your arrow usually will fly up into the air.. We were the only ones shooting at the time but there were alot of people just sitting around watching.. My buddy goes down there and puts an arrow in the ground in front of the 20 yard bag and walks back.. All these people were looking at us like we were crazy.. LOL! My first arrow, I nicked it and it made a little noise but didn't break.. About his second arrow.. "PLINK" and the arrow goes flying up.. LOL! Then here they come.. Everyone started coming over there and asking what we were doing..

It's not that hard really, but it makes you really bear down on you left/right as far as your sights go.. And it's sort of a fun way to do walkback tuning too..