Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

bullfiddle is on a distinguished road
Default XI bows

How many here remember shooting XI bows? I just sold my XI XRG a couple of months ago. I killed alot of deer with that bow. I used to shoot 3D with it too. Back when we could shoot 90lbs with no arrow weight restriction. I personally got to see more than a couple bows blow up in them days......
bullfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Scablands

Scablands is on a distinguished road

I still have a couple in my basement, a Flatliner that I hunted with quite a while and a XI Scream single cam that is practically new.
Scablands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I actually shot for them from 1993 to 1997. Although I never shot the hard cammed Flatliner I did have several bows with the slightly softer cam (Legacy, Nemisis, etc) and they were good shooters.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road

So what was the point of 90#+ bows for 3d..... ????
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
So what was the point of 90#+ bows for 3d..... ????
speed. why else?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road

And you need that much speed because....your hurling huge tree trunks for arrows???
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnts79 View Post
And you need that much speed because....your hurling huge tree trunks for arrows???
actually they (the old timers) used to shoot 3 - 4 gpp if that in the quest for 300+. The used overdraws so that they could shoot arrows 5 - 6 inches to short, overstrung their bows for more speed, used fewer strands in their strings...

they were pretty crazy back then
Old 10-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Yep, I remember shooting a Flatliner.

By the way Dredly those years were not so long ago. I still remember them like yesterday.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
actually they (the old timers) used to shoot 3 - 4 gpp if that in the quest for 300+. The used overdraws so that they could shoot arrows 5 - 6 inches to short, overstrung their bows for more speed, used fewer strands in their strings...

they were pretty crazy back then
these same old timers started BOWTECH......man some things never change.....still blowing up bows......
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

I was glad when bow companies started using fast flight cables and did away with the metal teardrops. Man I still get the shivers thinkin about those teardrops rippin thru flesh. And yes back a few years ago in order to break that 300 fps mark we had to shoot 90lbs. + and try to get an aluminum arrow as lite as possible to shoot out of our bows. This was pre carbon arrow days and when the carbons did come around most guys couldn't afford to shoot em. Now days you can get a decent carbon arrow for about the same money as aluminum.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

P.S. This is the first year that I have shot a full length shaft in probably 15 yrs. Shot an overdraw on my bows for a long time.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Scablands

Scablands is on a distinguished road

I switched to my flatliner because it was a 60# shooting a 438 gr. 2413 @ 240 fps. Had been shooting a cougar mag at 75# with a 465Gr. 2215 @ the same speed. The draw cycle on the XI took a little getting used to but it was sure nice pulling less weight.
Scablands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #13
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
How many here remember shooting XI bows? I just sold my XI XRG a couple of months ago. I killed alot of deer with that bow. I used to shoot 3D with it too. Back when we could shoot 90lbs with no arrow weight restriction. I personally got to see more than a couple bows blow up in them days......
I am almost a bow virgin, only had two so far OR I am just too young to know what you are talking about
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

The bows we are talking about we were shooting somewhere in the mid to late 80's. I learned to never ask a lady her age so we will leave it at that......
Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #15
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

My XRG almost had a round wheel on it it wasn't much of a cam at all. It pulled pretty sweet. I still have an old hoyt in the closet and I can't think of what the model of it was but it's got a big old cast riser on it and it pulls like a fence post. I thought I was something special when I bought my first High Country Supreme with the hatchet cams.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:32 AM   #16
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Never shot an XI, but I remember them well...
back then I was a Fred Bear man also had an old Browning X-cellerator...They were all good bows

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
Carphunter

Carphunter is on a distinguished road

still have my flatliner, and may have to use it this year. but I'd like to find f31 modules for it.
Carphunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
Huya

Huya is on a distinguished road

I remember them bows. But I had the Jennings. I can't remember the model either. I think it maxed at 165 fps. Wow was that fast then. lol.
Huya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #19
hduc2005

hduc2005 is on a distinguished road

I too still have my first bow a XI bought it in the 1990's used this bow up till I my wife won my Switchback XT. My XI with full size arrows still shoots about 247 fps. with a overdraw and 26" arrows it shot about 287fps
hduc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
Tj Kinser

Tj Kinser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scablands View Post
I switched to my flatliner because it was a 60# shooting a 438 gr. 2413 @ 240 fps. Had been shooting a cougar mag at 75# with a 465Gr. 2215 @ the same speed. The draw cycle on the XI took a little getting used to but it was sure nice pulling less weight.
I still shoot the flatliner my dad passed down to me every week
Tj Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
snakehater

snakehater is on a distinguished road

I had the Impulse, then the Legend, and then the Legend XL, and also the Flatliner! Killed my share with each! Good bows for back then.
snakehater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
MeanV2

MeanV2 is on a distinguished road

The XI bows were very popular in this area for a while since I am very close to where they were made, but they lost popularity very quickly due to lack of durability and several QC issues.

If they had been all that they'd still be around. I owned an Impulse, Legacy, and a Flatliner.

Dan
www.meanvarchery.com
MeanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Josh_Putman
My little huntin buddy

Josh_Putman is on a distinguished road

I had an XI Velocity Vmax, and it was terrible. The cams on it were about the same size and shape as pork chops, and it wouldn't stay in time long at all.

Maybe with modern strings it would be better. I will never know, though, because I got rid of it within six months of buying it.

Definitely not a good experience.

The greatest thing I had accomplished in my life was serving my country, until I became a dad.
Josh_Putman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
sharpspur

sharpspur is on a distinguished road

I have my Flatliner hanging from a hook in my archery room. Killed quite a few deer with it back in the day.
sharpspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #25
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

think about it, if xi wasnt such a good bow then why did myles keller shoot them? lol
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
eliterules

eliterules is on a distinguished road
Default Still have mine

Even though i shoot Elite bows now,i still have my Flatliner,it was and still is a great bow.I`am getting ready to put some vaportrail string and cables on it and start shooting it again.
eliterules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #27
eliterules

eliterules is on a distinguished road
Default f31 mods for flatliner

I have f31 draw mods for sale for the flatliner,$20.00,PM,me.
eliterules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #28
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking A little known fact !

I just got into archery more when those XI Flatliners were the top speed bow plus those High Country bows . I've owned overdraws and use aluminum arrows !

I brought one of those early Jenny's buckmaster one cam bows and still own it today !

I think that those old XIs just were too much vibration on them and of course the trend of buying new all the time put the end to XI bows when they thought they would sell directly to the archer , really killed them !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
shocktrooper1984

shocktrooper1984 is on a distinguished road
Default Need an Xi Flatliner limb pivot insert.

I was a local and regional sponsored 3D pro and dealer for these guys; (Xi) from '91 - '97. We sold lots of Xis' to very satisfied customers. The Flatliner was king in these parts back in the day. Many 3D victories and dispatched whitetails & feral hogs with mine; ("The Predator"): 80#, 29", Predator Grey Camo, Star Hunter rest, and loaded with original Beman Carbon Camo Hunters and 100gr. Muzzys, in a Fine-Line Pro Quiver...awesome looking, fast, accurate and devasting! The entire unit is still in great shape except for needing some modern cables/string and the missing pivot piece.
The string (original fastflight) let go in my closet years ago and I think the wife lost or likely threw away the lower (limb pivot insert) as it fell out of the riser pocket and just looked like "junk" on the floor to her. All I need is a replacement and I would revive my 'Frankenstien' with new cables and a string. That would be soo sweet to me!
Can anyone help me locate the missing link to this.....?
I would pay a fair price and shipping to get one...you would be added to my Hero List!
Hey...heres a novel idea...lets start a new rage and follow the example like the old motocross guys started years ago; racing vintage dirt bikes; restored and brought back to compete again. We could make a 'Vintage', shoot what ya brung class, as long as it was 20+ years old, cranked up to the max and lobbing xx75s'. We could call it the "Loaded-Goats Class" Harr-har! Just another way for an old 'grey hair' like me to have some more fun before the-end-comes....heh....LOL.
But seriously folks...I AM actually looking for this part.
shocktrooper1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #30
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking Here's what I think !

Shocktrooper , I'd just buy a completely used XI and either use it for parts or the one you already have for parts !

Just my two-cents !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
tedlebo

tedlebo is on a distinguished road

Now you've done it: you've got me lamenting parting ways with my old flatliner.
tedlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
bhtr3d

bhtr3d is on a distinguished road

I remember Kim Zehr shot for them....and WOW was she ""BLESSED""
bhtr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #33
shocktrooper1984

Default Xi Compound Bows "Putting the odds in your favor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
Reflecting on the very first post in this thread as quoted above.....
My first Xi was a 1990 model Myles Keller Legend Magnum. I traded in a Barnett Sidewinder for it at the late Dan Quillian's Archery Traditions shop in Athens, GA. Got a part time job there on weekends and got my first coaching and pro advice there. Started out shooting "dots" there and eventually hooked up w/ a 3D guy that showed me the ropes. By the time I moved back to NC in '92 I had that legend set at 29" and 80 lbs. with a 4" overdraw, lobbing XX75 2512 Autum Hunters (the solid orange shafts). Dey sure looked purdee in the Xi quiver and Xi bow in Oak Grey camo., gorgeous!
With a then magnesium riser (very light wt), she popped in half one day on the 3D course and just barely drew the blood from my chin! I started shooting full length Beman carbons after that in my 'new' Legend Magnum that Xi sent me...no hassles, just sent them the pieces and they sent me a brand new bow. The Legend Mags. were upgraded to aluminum risers and Predator Grey or Predator Brown camo. by the time I broke mine and it was a PG 60-80 pounder and I hate the day I sold it. Saw one on e bay last fall that was mint for about $225 but lost the bid and missed out. RATS! Talk about a sweet driller...not blazing fast but with carbons and Muzzys, very, very smooth and powerful. I once slayed four out of six wild feral hogs under my deer stand with it in less than a full minute I would guess. We had a serious problem with hogs on that lease and put the hurt on 'em every chance we got. I was launching Beman Camo Hunters as fast as I could nock 'em on the string. Me and my buddies dressed and butchered hogs till about 3a.m. 4 large hogs (3 males, 1 female) between the three of us and it was a 'pigfest'! HA! We had a 1975 AMC Gremlin for our camp/hunt truck and had HOG all over it...inside and out. The little 258 c.i. inline six pulled the load just fine but the suspension was SCAH-REE-MIN! It was a sight to see HA! Those were the days.........
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #34
stevem174

stevem174 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktrooper1984 View Post
I was a local and regional sponsored 3D pro and dealer for these guys; (Xi) from '91 - '97. We sold lots of Xis' to very satisfied customers. The Flatliner was king in these parts back in the day. Many 3D victories and dispatched whitetails & feral hogs with mine; ("The Predator"): 80#, 29", Predator Grey Camo, Star Hunter rest, and loaded with original Beman Carbon Camo Hunters and 100gr. Muzzys, in a Fine-Line Pro Quiver...awesome looking, fast, accurate and devasting! The entire unit is still in great shape except for needing some modern cables/string and the missing pivot piece.
The string (original fastflight) let go in my closet years ago and I think the wife lost or likely threw away the lower (limb pivot insert) as it fell out of the riser pocket and just looked like "junk" on the floor to her. All I need is a replacement and I would revive my 'Frankenstien' with new cables and a string. That would be soo sweet to me!
Can anyone help me locate the missing link to this.....?
I would pay a fair price and shipping to get one...you would be added to my Hero List!
Hey...heres a novel idea...lets start a new rage and follow the example like the old motocross guys started years ago; racing vintage dirt bikes; restored and brought back to compete again. We could make a 'Vintage', shoot what ya brung class, as long as it was 20+ years old, cranked up to the max and lobbing xx75s'. We could call it the "Loaded-Goats Class" Harr-har! Just another way for an old 'grey hair' like me to have some more fun before the-end-comes....heh....LOL.
But seriously folks...I AM actually looking for this part.
Would an Impact help you?
stevem174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #35
shocktrooper1984

Default 'its' alive!'

Hey thanks for the offer! I actually tracked down an old friend that I had given my final sponsorship bow to as a gift years ago. It was made the last year I shot for Xi and it was an Xi Extreme XS. It used the same limb pivots and cams as the previous Flatliner. The riser was upgraded from cast to machined aluminum and bit shorter, and the limbs were just a bit longer to offset and match the Flatliner's axle to axle length.
Long story short; I used the cams, limb pivots, and 4" Xi machined overdraw from the Extreme XS to rebuild the Flatliner with original cast riser and 65-80# limbs and installed new Zebra-Twist string and cables in original blk/wht stripe and the bow just looks and shoots fabulous!
I even managed to refletch (in blk/wht) the remaining Predator Camo XX78s' that I still had, and the total package (decked out in original 'Predator Grey' camo) has come together quite nicely. I cant comfortably shoot 80# anymore but, even with the bow set at only 65# and 29" and the XX78s' weighing a hefty 498 grains total; the "Predator" is ripping 'em out at 248 fps!! That's 7.6 grains per pound! That's plenty of ratio to keep the limbs and riser still working after I am long gone. I could not be happier with the project and I'll post some pics ASAP, maybe this week if possible. I intend to shoot the final local 3D match with it in ASA Bowhunter Class, and drill a whitetail or two this coming season. Now I know how the classic hot-rod restoration guys feel when "their baby" finally rolls down the highway again! MAGIC!
Hang on to that Impulse dude, get some zebra cables and modern carbons and let 'er rip again. Happy Memorial Day everyone and pray for the helicopter crew and foot soldier that "paid the ultimate price" today in Afganistan for our FREEDOM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
stevem174

COOL! Can't wait to see pics!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #37
shocktrooper1984

Default Pics of my Xi Flatliner that lives again!

Ain't she a beauty?
Challenge issued here guys...get those old Xis' out and get 'em up and running again...this was one of the best bows ever designed and still can hold it's own in the speed and power department...even though you could tie a line to it and anchor a small boat with it when you were'nt slaying whitetails, etc.! LOL!
What are you waiting for????

As pictured and restored:
* 1992 / 1993 Xi Flatliner in original 'Predator Grey' camo and optional wood grips
* 65# - 80# limbs
* 29" draw modules
* 1995 4" Xi Extreme XS machined alum. overdraw w/ dual prong rest
* 1995 Xi Extreme XS cams and limb pivots
* 1991 Fine Line arrow quiver
* Vintage Easton XX78 arrows in original 'Predator' camo w/ blk & wht vanes
* Muzzy 125 grain 3 blade broadheads and/or 125 grn. 11/32 screw-in points
* New Zebra-Twist string and cables (beats the tar outta the old 'Fastflight'!)
* New (Bone Collector) Tru-Glo PRO TUNE XS stabilizer
* New Extreme Archery Products; Rubicon 5 pin sight
...65 pounds, 29 inches and a 498 grain, 27.5"/2413 aluminum arrow=248 fps!
Even by "today's standards, the Flatliner is still a King among Kings!
Attached Thumbnails
General Archery Forum - Click for larger version   General Archery Forum - Click for larger version   General Archery Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #38
stevem174

Nice looking bow!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #39
muck

muck is on a distinguished road

back in 94-95 i had a legecy with the red metalic paint. the bow shot great for 3d and spots. kinda wish i didnt put it on ebay getting almost nothing for it.
muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #40
dweir92

dweir92 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where to find 26" cam modules for a flatliner?
dweir92 is offline   Reply With Quote