Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 10-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
toxophilus

toxophilus is on a distinguished road
Default Info request on Browning compound

Hello friends,

I am an Italian archer, until now have been shooting the traditional way, wooden riser t/d recurve and longbow. I'm not a hunter (until now), usually go for 3d shots in the woods. My archery club admits both traditional and compounds, so I once would like to give the compound style a try.

I saw yesterday in my town's archery shop a nice compound bow. It's a Browning competition pro, dark red magnesium riser and wooden limbs laminated with white fiberglass. 45# - 60# weight, draw lenght from 27" to 31" (mine is 27,5").

I have browsed Internet for such bow but didn't find anything. That bow should have been produced around 1988-90 I think, because the guy who sold it to the shop said he was not shooting for about 15 years. It has a nice vintage look and is in perfect, really neat conditions, should have been used only seldom and carefully.

The price is 150 which is about 180 $.
Do you think it would be a good purchase for entering the compound world?
toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
CA Rcher12

CA Rcher12 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CA Rcher12 Send a message via Yahoo to CA Rcher12
An Italian archer,huh? Anyway, I would say the Browning looks like a nice bow.As for the pricing, $180 is a dirt cheap price for a bow, even if it were from the early 90's. Just buy the bow that looks and feels good to you, and if you're proud shooting it, chances are that the bow's great for you. Say, can you get the bow's name and specs to us?
CA Rcher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #3
toxophilus

On the lower limb is the name:

Browning
PRO COMPETITION
TARGET
.... a series of numbers and letters

the dealer told me it is a "competition pro" model
Old 10-23-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
3D-Dummy

3D-Dummy is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's just me, but I think the price for that bow is extremely high. There have been many many advancements in archery over the past 15 years. Unless that bow has some collector value I'd stay clear of it.

To me the key to being a good archer is being consistent. Even if your for isn't perfect as long as you're exact shot after shot you'll score high. That being said this is where improvements have been made to modern bows. They're designed to improve consistency.

Becareful of the guy who says he shoots his "old faithful" as good as any new bow out there. He may be telling an untruth or maybe he's just good at being as consistent as possible.

IMO any (and I mean any) new bow today is ten times the bow of the best 15 years ago.

good luck....
3D-Dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
toxophilus

Ok this is the bow, found one almost equal at ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...109867344&rd=1

left-handed sorry

The one I am thinking to buy is right-handed, in like new condition.
The price my local shop applies is high, indeed, I will propose him to go down to 100-120 $ or I don't buy
Old 10-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #6
CA Rcher12

CA Rcher12 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CA Rcher12 Send a message via Yahoo to CA Rcher12

I'm starting to think you can get a better bow than that one. Try to get a bow that is accurate, not fast (+300fps I.B.O.) or one with hatchet cams. This is target archery: you want accuraccy and forgiveness, not a fast bow. Fast bows can be a pain to tune.
CA Rcher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Also consider that if you should break a limb you won't be able to find replacements. Wood/glass laminated limbs were all the rage back in the 70's and early 80's. They did have a tendency to weaken over time often showing stress cracks in the glass. Again, parts will be almost non-existant for this bow. It's probably worth more as a collector item than a shooter.

Browning never impressed me anyway.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote