Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
fkanderson

fkanderson is on a distinguished road
Default higher poundage = accuracy?

Hi I am shooting indoor target range on a compound.
Since I am new I had them crank down the poundage
on my bow as low as possible. My hoyt 3000x limbs are
rated at 50-60 pounds and I think I had them crank it
down to about a 45# draw (about the most it can go).

Question is, as your skill increases is there any advantage at all in increasing the draw weight on the bow? Even at the lowest poundage my arrows are digging in really really deep in the targets. I am getting quite conformatable with my bow and I am just wondering if increasing the poundage will increase my accuracy at all..
fkanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Higher poundage better? Possibly.

Here is something to think about. I am assuming your shooting a thumb trigger or back tension style release. If not, then you can stop reading now.

You want your shot to break at the right time. What I mean is you want the shot to break when you are strongest and not when you have totally run out of oxygen and the bow takes over and the shot breaks because you are weak.

If your shot breaks late in the cycle try increasing the poundage which will increase the holding weight of the bow. If you shot breaks sooner then you are going in the right direction.

There is another option depending on the type of bow you are using. By increasing or decreasing the diameter of the cable/cables on your bow you can increase and decrease the holding weight (ie % of letoff) without increasing the draw weight of the bow.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
fkanderson

fkanderson is on a distinguished road

Chris can you explain what you mean by shot break? I don't get it. Right now I have my bow set up to where the draw weight is comfortable for me. The more i shoot I assume my back muscles will develop and I will be able to handle a heavier draw weight.. but still lets say I increase my draw weight another 5-10 pounds (my xt3000 limbs are adjustable) now what? does it increase my accuracy?

also is there some kind of science behind breathing? i've shot with inhaling and holding my breath for several seconds and I have also shot with slow controlled breathing and my groups are slightly different because of it. I guess I just need to be doing the EXACT same thing everytime I shoot to keep my groups consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Higher poundage better? Possibly.

Here is something to think about. I am assuming your shooting a thumb trigger or back tension style release. If not, then you can stop reading now.

You want your shot to break at the right time. What I mean is you want the shot to break when you are strongest and not when you have totally run out of oxygen and the bow takes over and the shot breaks because you are weak.

If your shot breaks late in the cycle try increasing the poundage which will increase the holding weight of the bow. If you shot breaks sooner then you are going in the right direction.

There is another option depending on the type of bow you are using. By increasing or decreasing the diameter of the cable/cables on your bow you can increase and decrease the holding weight (ie % of letoff) without increasing the draw weight of the bow.
fkanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Most shooters hold their breath while aiming and shooting.

Now the question is, when does the release fire. After your muscles have exhausted all the oxygen, sight picture is starting to breakdown and the bow string has started to pull away from you and the release fires?

If it happens like above, you think you are pulling harder when in reality, the release hand has started to creep forward and the draw force is kicking in again, now the release fires. This is bad. Why does the release fire, because the holding weight is quickly increasing.

Or does the release fire while you are the strongest. Meaning you have just started holding your breath and the sight picture and aiming dot is still steady in the bullseye? This is a good thing.

I hope this makes a little sense.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Hello, hers my opinon of this, I find i am more accurate with more draw weight, i use a trigger style release. I really changed alot of things with my shooting style about 2 years ago, i tried to set my bow up and shoot it at 55 or so pounds, geez i couldn group for the heck of me, checked tune all that stuff, arrow spine ext.... everything was fine, cranked it back up to about 63 65 #s problem all fixed, back to smashing xs, I now have a hoyt trykon, and did the same thing, and had the exact same results at low # weight, Ive thought about ordering a set of 65 % let off cams for it, just to play and see what happens, I assume this might be differnt if i were shooting a back tension release, but im not up for that, like the trigger, i feel i have more contral of my equipment that way........ and it kills stuff just fine!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote