Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Dennis Meyer

Dennis Meyer is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help

Just signed up first time to post. I need some help on finding out what bow length I need. ( to give you a little back-grown on my self) I am 68 years I have a good place to bow hunt & would like to give it a try. Not being as strong as you young guys, I will be using a bow lock so I can preload. The problem I have run into I bought a 29" draw bow that was to long for me, that I have returned. My question, how can I measure my draw length so I will know what size to buy?

Thanks
Dennis Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
crawdad375

crawdad375 is on a distinguished road

The best advice I can give you is to go to a bow shop.
They can mesure you and fit a bow to you. You can also
try out different bows. As for draw weight you would be surprised at
what you can do with bows now days. I have seen some bows with
minimal draw weights that shoot incredibly fast. Best of luck.
crawdad375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
3dhunter

3dhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 3dhunter
Default Which bow?

I agree, a good bow shop will work with you, finding the right bow and the right draw length to match. If your worried about a high poundage bow, say 63 lbs, being too much for you. I suggest trying the PSE firestorm lite (single cam). I've had guys with shoulder problems come in looking for a light poundage bow (40-50lbs), they can't believe it when they pull this bow back at 63lbs, too them it feels 15-20lbs lighter. Give it a try if you can find one, just take it easy the first time you try. Also, make sure the lock is legal where your at.
3dhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Dennis Meyer

Thanks 3D & crawdad. The problem with going to a bow shop is theres not one close to me. I would have to drive 80 miles. I was hoping I might could but my arms in the position like I was pulling back a bow & measure from a certain part of both hands to get the measurement I need. I checked with parks & wildlife the lock is legal.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Default Draw length

In another thread about a week ago Chris said to get ya close on your draw length measure your wingspan finger tip to finger tip then divide by 2.5 I have seen other people do this also and it gets ya pretty close.

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Dennis Meyer

Thanks Radar. Using that information I came up with a 25" draw length. I feel that will put me very close. With the 29" draw my arms was way to short, so the 25" may be right on.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Meyer
Thanks Radar. Using that information I came up with a 25" draw length. I feel that will put me very close. With the 29" draw my arms was way to short, so the 25" may be right on.
Try to choose a bow that has some adjustment to it, too. I find that the wingspan/2.5 works out pretty close. Not always right on and that's why I suggest a bow with some adjustment, usually with a rotating module.

A couple bows that come to mind are some made by Browning. Also some of the better ones with this feature are made by Hoyt/Reflex with their Cam+ 1/2 and Martin bows with the Tru-Arc+ or Nitrous cams. These you can adjust, if necessary, without the use of a bowpress so not real need for a shop that you say isn't close by.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Dennis Meyer

Thanks bfisher. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I ordered a Browning Rage RH 21-31 65#. Information on it says easy to adjust length with out bow press. Do you know anything about adjusting this bow? If anyone else knows any thing about this bow, I can all ways us the help.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Dennis,

I think you probably have the dual cam model and it's easy to adjust. Looking at the side of the cam it should have a set-screw or cap-screw holding the module in place. All you need to do for adjustment is remove the the screw and rotate the module to another position. Do both modules the same. To make the draw longer you rotate the module toward the string; shorter the other way. Don't worry about screwing the bow up. You'll figure it out. Just make sure of two things---#1 do both cams the same, and #2 just don't cross-thread the set-screws.

You rowner's manual should explain all this anyway. Good luck.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #10
Dennis Meyer

Thanks bfisher. If I have a problem after I receive my bow, I will be back asking for more help.

Thanks to all you for the help.