Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default Hunt it or Go elsewhere?

Where I hunt there is an excellent "honey hole" type area right on the edge of a field, great shooting lanes, open, excellent hunting spot.

There are only 3 of us that hunt the land in this area (private) and I went out yesterday to find that the other guy that hunts it has hung his climber from THE tree that you climb to hunt the area. I've been hunting the spot opening day and every saturday either me or my hunting buddy have been there. The owner of the stand was hunting in a different area of the hunting land.

I have no clue when he is hunting but its a safe bet he'll be hunting on Saturday AM.

So what do I do? Go to another spot and let him have it? Put up my stand in another good tree to hunt the exact same spot and let him ruin my hunt by coming in to get his stand and also upset him?

I personally am very upset, he did this intentionally as he never leaves his stand out but he saw a buck there a few days ago so now he is trying to put a lock on that area so I can't hunt it and he can...

we both have permission to hunt the land...

what would you do?
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter
 
IChim2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Doe Run Mo,south east Missouri
Posts: 1,529
IChim2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Where I hunt there is an excellent "honey hole" type area right on the edge of a field, great shooting lanes, open, excellent hunting spot.

There are only 3 of us that hunt the land in this area (private) and I went out yesterday to find that the other guy that hunts it has hung his climber from THE tree that you climb to hunt the area. I've been hunting the spot opening day and every saturday either me or my hunting buddy have been there. The owner of the stand was hunting in a different area of the hunting land.

I have no clue when he is hunting but its a safe bet he'll be hunting on Saturday AM.

So what do I do? Go to another spot and let him have it? Put up my stand in another good tree to hunt the exact same spot and let him ruin my hunt by coming in to get his stand and also upset him?

I personally am very upset, he did this intentionally as he never leaves his stand out but he saw a buck there a few days ago so now he is trying to put a lock on that area so I can't hunt it and he can...

we both have permission to hunt the land...

what would you do?
Been there and man thats a toughie.If he knew you(or someone)was hunting that tree/spot and he thought he'd get one over on you...than his..bad and i'd do what i wanted which is hang a stand and get there extra early and if it wissed him off...s happen's.
__________________
CSS by MeanV
FB Truth and a few Dartons.
FBSA member
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
MichiganHunter
Senior Member
 
MichiganHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clinton Township, MI.
Posts: 976
MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road
Default

well that sucks....but i know on public land its who ever gets there first. you can try to talk to the guy and tell him that is your spot and see if he will go to another spot. if not just hand your stuff there a little bit earlier that him next year.
__________________
FBSA MEMBER
http://www.thefbsa.com/
counting down till next season!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Cablegaurd21
Senior Member
 
Cablegaurd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 169
Cablegaurd21 is on a distinguished road
Default

Eat a big Deer Steak and then go take a huge dump under his stand. Sorry to here about the bad news.
__________________
"We all must hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Cablegaurd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
well that sucks....but i know on public land its who ever gets there first. you can try to talk to the guy and tell him that is your spot and see if he will go to another spot. if not just hand your stuff there a little bit earlier that him next year.
I don't hang my stands, I use a Summit Climber (exactly for this reason... first come first serve)

Its not "my spot" its a great spot but its not mine.
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads
 
Wheely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,595
Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about
Default

How important is this spot. I think one of the biggest problems with hunters is fighting over "spots" especially when they don't own the land. I don't see a problem with hunting the same spot, cuz you never know who is going to get the shot. If someone is trophy hunting I could see them getting mad, but when you are meat hunting and the other guy get the shot, be happy for him and wait for your opportunity. The quicker the 'other' guy gets his, the quicker you will probably have the spot to yourself
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
killbambidead
bambi killer
 
killbambidead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Red bud il
Posts: 733
killbambidead is on a distinguished road
Default

go set up to where after u stick a deer it runs right in front of him and drops dead ... thatll show him how good his spot is
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Where I hunt there is an excellent "honey hole" type area right on the edge of a field, great shooting lanes, open, excellent hunting spot.

There are only 3 of us that hunt the land in this area (private) and I went out yesterday to find that the other guy that hunts it has hung his climber from THE tree that you climb to hunt the area. I've been hunting the spot opening day and every saturday either me or my hunting buddy have been there. The owner of the stand was hunting in a different area of the hunting land.

I have no clue when he is hunting but its a safe bet he'll be hunting on Saturday AM.

So what do I do? Go to another spot and let him have it? Put up my stand in another good tree to hunt the exact same spot and let him ruin my hunt by coming in to get his stand and also upset him?

I personally am very upset, he did this intentionally as he never leaves his stand out but he saw a buck there a few days ago so now he is trying to put a lock on that area so I can't hunt it and he can...

we both have permission to hunt the land...

what would you do?

bring tea and crumpets and climb the same tree as him....offer him a treat.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 AM   #9
ultramax
Junior Member
 
ultramax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 44
ultramax is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
bring tea and crumpets and climb the same tree as him....offer him a treat.....
But.....What if he doesnt like crumpets?
ultramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels3 View Post
How important is this spot. I think one of the biggest problems with hunters is fighting over "spots" especially when they don't own the land. I don't see a problem with hunting the same spot, cuz you never know who is going to get the shot. If someone is trophy hunting I could see them getting mad, but when you are meat hunting and the other guy get the shot, be happy for him and wait for your opportunity. The quicker the 'other' guy gets his, the quicker you will probably have the spot to yourself
its a pretty crucial spot to hunting the woods I hunt. basically its where the 2 main trails that the deer travel run close enough to get shots on both trails and its the last "huntable" spot before the fields, which have been left alone for several years and are 3 foot high weeds and young birch trees... its were a lot of the deer bed down and the bucks play. Its also right along side their other bedding area which is thick pine.

Hence why he hung his stand there. And now that the rut is on its THE spot to be because the buck that are out all night in the field will come in to the bedding areas to... well you know.

plus our season is almost over and we can only hunt Saturdays in this state... so basically I have 1 day left (flying to Maine on the 10th which is the last day) unless i take off some time next week.
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 AM   #11
Holy Smokes
Senior Member
 
Holy Smokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
Posts: 6,713
Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
bring tea and crumpets and climb the same tree as him....offer him a treat.....
Bman I did'nt know you were such a theologean
fer tha Bible says ta "feed Your enemys"
hey Dred
tuffy.
this guy is showin his lack of concern fer everybody,selfishness
I would back off and let him have it,
Not to my liking by any means
congradulate him on a deer.
he'll have ta think your one great fellar
Now you have set yourself up to be blessed by God and have a clear consience that you have done the true sportsman thing. My $1 (Inflation)worth
__________________



Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #12
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter
 
IChim2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Doe Run Mo,south east Missouri
Posts: 1,529
IChim2 is on a distinguished road
Default

This is why i hunt NF's.Lot more work envolved in it....but a lot less C
__________________
CSS by MeanV
FB Truth and a few Dartons.
FBSA member
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
tmurphy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
How important is this spot. I think one of the biggest problems with hunters is fighting over "spots" especially when they don't own the land. I don't see a problem with hunting the same spot, cuz you never know who is going to get the shot. If someone is trophy hunting I could see them getting mad, but when you are meat hunting and the other guy get the shot, be happy for him and wait for your opportunity. The quicker the 'other' guy gets his, the quicker you will probably have the spot to yourself
i agree hunters need to stick together, we have enough outside enemies without bickering amongst ourselves, have u tried talking to him and telling him the things u posted on here, i would start there and try to not turn it into a mess, possibly where the land owner doesn't let u or anyone hunt there. it is a tough spot maybe try to work out a schedule with him on who hunts it a certain times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #14
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
i agree hunters need to stick together, we have enough outside enemies without bickering amongst ourselves, have u tried talking to him and telling him the things u posted on here, i would start there and try to not turn it into a mess, possibly where the land owner doesn't let u or anyone hunt there. it is a tough spot maybe try to work out a schedule with him on who hunts it a certain times.
Haven't run into him yet, I'm sure he'll be there tomorrow but its to late then.
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
tmurphy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i have had this same problem before sometimes u can work it out sometimes u cant it just depends on whether both parties can be reasonable, i have had it happen on public land and tried to work it out and that didnt work so i hunted it anyway and actually had the other person run a deer to me
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
tmurphy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

well if its gonna be to late i would try to hunt it anyway maybe he wont be there, but if he is try to deal with it then is all, try to get there 1st most hunters will move on if someone is already there if they have any respect for their fellow hunters that is, i know if go to set up and c someone already there ill find another spot that day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

have you thought of this????

maybe he allready shot a deer and couldnt carry his stand out???

I would be making a phone call.......

find out his intentions......
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #18
tmurphy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
have you thought of this????

maybe he allready shot a deer and couldnt carry his stand out???

I would be making a phone call.......

find out his intentions......

good point...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #19
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
good point...
I am not as dumb as Dredly looks........
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
I am not as dumb as Dredly looks........
Hey thats not nice!

I don't have his number. ITs not like we are friends or neighbors, I know his first name and that he lives in the area... thats about it. Oh and no he didn't shoot anything, plus the stand is about 40 yards into the woods, very very easy walk.
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #21
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Hey thats not nice!

I don't have his number. ITs not like we are friends or neighbors, I know his first name and that he lives in the area... thats about it. Oh and no he didn't shoot anything, plus the stand is about 40 yards into the woods, very very easy walk.

well maybe you should do some looking around the area for another place.....

40yrds???

dude no wonder your big.....
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #22
Gator eye
Senior Member
 
Gator eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In the horn of Michigan
Posts: 7,185
Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default

I ld try to catch up to and have a talk....maybe the guy isn't so bright and didn't know you were hunting there.

If he did it on purpose, well than he a a** wipe and there's other ways to deal with him.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #23
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

I've decided to takes Smokes advice and be the better man and let him have it...

plus after being in the stand for 4 hours this afternoon and seeing nothing but 6 tree rats (which I saw the WHOLE time) and seeing nothing on Wed morning when i was in the same spot I've decide they aren't walking through there anymore....

which means he can have it I know a better spot
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
well maybe you should do some looking around the area for another place.....

40yrds???

dude no wonder your big.....
hehe actually its from over a year on the overnight shift... sleeping 2 - 3 hours a day and then a 1 hour nap before work combined with eating at weird hours and normally diner was dunkin Doughnuts or something simlar (not much open at 2 am)

I'm down to 250 though... from my high of 278 about 3 months ago

ps: Hows the bunny raisin coming along tubby?
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!
 
BUNNYMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: the Hutch
Posts: 29,888
BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
hehe actually its from over a year on the overnight shift... sleeping 2 - 3 hours a day and then a 1 hour nap before work combined with eating at weird hours and normally diner was dunkin Doughnuts or something simlar (not much open at 2 am)

I'm down to 250 though... from my high of 278 about 3 months ago

ps: Hows the bunny raisin coming along tubby?
I am at 7 right now........
__________________
I cut things up and split them down!
BUNNYMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
Dredly
Site Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saylorsburg PA
Posts: 4,358
Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default

Well I went and hunted a different area... which is where they are rutting Scrapes everywhere and they are chasing like no tomorrow!

I'm set... now if I could only hit what I'm aiming at!!!
__________________
No I'm not dead
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 3DShoots.com