Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer is on a distinguished road
Default How big does he have to be for you to shoot.

I am a bit curious about some other areas of the country and what it takes for a buck to be a shooter there. In my neck of the woods which is Southwest Iowa it is pretty easy to come in contact with several 160 to 170 class bucks in a season. This is in the stand traveling thru rutt in the area you could see as many as 10 in this range in an evening. I am very blessed to be able to hunt where I do. I have anywhere from 10 to 15 stands out each year and usually only get to hunt 3 or four of them due to the fact that I run into a shooter in several of them every year and never close the deal or stay in that area until I get to. Many times I have passed up 140+ bucks even tonight I passed up a very nice 130 class at 5 yards. This was easy due to the fact that a buddy of mine was hunting one of my stands this morning and when leaving it he saw a 170 class buck underneath of my stand. He must have been sniffing my decoy. I don't know but he did not come thru tonight maybe in the morning wish me luck.
bowhuntinfordeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

bullfiddle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntinfordeer View Post
I am a bit curious about some other areas of the country and what it takes for a buck to be a shooter there. In my neck of the woods which is Southwest Iowa it is pretty easy to come in contact with several 160 to 170 class bucks in a season. This is in the stand traveling thru rutt in the area you could see as many as 10 in this range in an evening. I am very blessed to be able to hunt where I do. I have anywhere from 10 to 15 stands out each year and usually only get to hunt 3 or four of them due to the fact that I run into a shooter in several of them every year and never close the deal or stay in that area until I get to. Many times I have passed up 140+ bucks even tonight I passed up a very nice 130 class at 5 yards. This was easy due to the fact that a buddy of mine was hunting one of my stands this morning and when leaving it he saw a 170 class buck underneath of my stand. He must have been sniffing my decoy. I don't know but he did not come thru tonight maybe in the morning wish me luck.
Dude I need your phone number, address and directions. If you need some of those 160 to 170 class deers thinned out I'm your huckelberry.
FBSA President and Founder
bullfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

3 1/2 + and 130+
BuckeyeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
bowhuntinfordeer

Default No problem I like to take people out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
Dude I need your phone number, address and directions. If you need some of those 160 to 170 class deers thinned out I'm your huckelberry.
I have over 10 stands out now. Maybe next year you could yell at me and it might work out. I am serious about the big boys around here. I know my buddy at the bow shop said he had over 10 different Pope and young bucks on trail camera in the area he hunts in and it isn't but about 10 miles from me. They are all over buck to doe ratio may not be so great but I kill a ton of them too. Still it is nothing to see ten bucks between 120 and 150 class in a morning. This is a typical outing.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have over 10 stands out now. Maybe next year you could yell at me and it might work out. I am serious about the big boys around here. I know my buddy at the bow shop said he had over 10 different Pope and young bucks on trail camera in the area he hunts in and it isn't but about 10 miles from me. They are all over buck to doe ratio may not be so great but I kill a ton of them too. Still it is nothing to see ten bucks between 120 and 150 class in a morning. This is a typical outing.
Sweet
maybe you could post us some pics of tha non shooters,
it would give something ta drool over

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
goldflinger

goldflinger is on a distinguished road

I believe around here a Quality Deer is determined by adding spread and points. 8+17=25, 9+16=25 or whatever. I think the majic minimum number is 25.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter

IChim2 is on a distinguished road

around here....as long as their off the teet.
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
RunMich

RunMich is on a distinguished road

In my 10 years of hunting I have only seen two bucks 130+. I shot one of them in 1996' with my bow and the other one was last week where I hunt now. There are good bucks here in Michigan. The buck I shot in 96' was on a friends leased land, he invited me to hunt there a few times. I no longer hunt with him. And the one I just saw this week was on my wifes grandparents 80 acre farm. Which they just now this year started letting me hunt there. They have about 4 guys in the family that have hunted there for over 20 years but they are only gun hunters.
I see many very nice bucks in many feilds driving to and from my small hunting spot. I just can't hunt those lands. My father use to have about 40 acre I hunted and a saw small bucks almost every hunt there, never nothing of any size. But he sold the place. And its been slim pickens every since. I just don't know anyone to ask if I can hunt on there land. The places I have stopped and asked there is always someone else already hunting it or they just don't want any hunters there.

The good news is, my wife said as soon as we get the car and the equity loan on our house paid off I can buy my own hunting property. They will be paid off within the next 7 years !!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Michael396

Michael396 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
around here....as long as their off the teet.
I have to agree with this. I try to shoot does only, but won't pass on a buck either.

Michael
Michael396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #10
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road

130+ on public ground, and 140+ on private ground. Try to let the 3 1/2s walk but sometimes its hard!
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
3 1/2 + and 130+
Diddo to BuckeyeRed

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #12
hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 is on a distinguished road

I live in SW Iowa also, but Im in college full time and work on campus, so my hunting time is somewhat limited this year. My general rule is 4 years old or 140" and hes getting poked.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
beenfarr

beenfarr is on a distinguished road

Wipe the milk off his lips and let him have it. Honestly, I'll pass on button bucks, but I'll shoot a spike!

Ben

FBSA Member
beenfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #14
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter

IChim2 is on a distinguished road

I wish i had some of the options some of you have but i don't.I've taken 1 P&Y from were i hunt and i've seen a few more....but they are far and few inbetween.My deer only freezer will hold 3 deer and when it's full....i'm done and if i held out for a 100 class let alone a 130 i'd be eatin a lot of that store bought junk.
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
Wipe the milk off his lips and let him have it. Honestly, I'll pass on button bucks, but I'll shoot a spike!

Ben
thats what its like in atleast northern MI the biggest buck to come off my property in a looooong time was a 10 that scored about 100"
Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

jcmorgan31 will become famous soon enoughjcmorgan31 will become famous soon enough

How do you guys get them to hold still to measure their racks and how do you get them to show ID to verify age before you shoot???

I let a 110ish 8pt walk the other day. He might not get so lucky if he walks by again....
Old 11-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #17
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
How do you guys get them to hold still to measure their racks and how do you get them to show ID to verify age before you shoot???

I let a 110ish 8pt walk the other day. He might not get so lucky if he walks by again....
i wish i had that choice
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
jcmorgan31
Prodigal Son

jcmorgan31 will become famous soon enoughjcmorgan31 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I missed View Post
i wish i had that choice
No you don't.........you wish a 150ish would just walk in and make you decision simple.........

Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #19
beenfarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I missed View Post
thats what its like in atleast northern MI the biggest buck to come off my property in a looooong time was a 10 that scored about 100"
Yeah, I sometimes hunt in Lewiston, and deer seem to be few and far between. If your a meat hunter, and only have a week to hunt, you can't pass on too much. But lower MI, there are a lot of deer. My buddy has permission to hunt these farms where it's not uncommon to see 30 deer a day.

FBSA Member
Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #20
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

bullfiddle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post

Just put a little either in there bait pile...........
FBSA President and Founder
bullfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
bowhuntinfordeer

Default Hey my buddy Bufford just shot a 150 or better out of one of my stands!

I will get the pics to you as soon as I get them from him. I just sat that stand earlier that day in the morning and left midmorning. He went out early afternoon and the deer crossed the field right in front of him and hit a doe in heat trail I had laid that morning and came in nose down and he slammed him at less than 10 yards. This is the third buck over 130 under that stand in 2 days wow what fun it has been this year. Like I said I will get some pics to ya as soon as I get them. It was an 11 point and the guys that went out to help load him both guessed him at well over 150 but he could go up or down. Good luck everybody I hope my really big one comes in tommorrow I had to take today off to do homework.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #22
bowhuntinfordeer

Default Here He is Guys and the big one shot under my stand last night.

The pictures are kind of screwwed up because my buddies digital camera died in the field so they videoed the deer and took pictures off of the TV I need to get out and take pictures of it but I't not real big on hanging pics. The second buck is one taken a few miles from us by another buddies nephew last year. He is currently on one that is much bigger. He has had him in and has video of him but has not been able to close the deal yet. Will keep you posted of any I see in this area just for fun. I may try to get some pics of ones I pass on this weekend or what I kill. I wish I had taken pics of the buck that came in at 10 yards with no tines left. He had very heavy beams but on a tine left on him not even a brow tine. When I hit the dominant grunt call you should have seen him split I think he peed down his leg on the spot. Anyway here are the pics. Sorry again for the poor quality.
Name:  Bufford1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  13.5 KB

Name:  Bufford2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  13.8 KB

Name:  Bufford3.jpg
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  Bufford4.jpg
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  Bufford5.jpg
Size:  13.2 KB

Name:  Dave's nephew1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  18.6 KB

Name:  Dave's nephew2.jpg
Size:  15.5 KB
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
hoyt_hunter007

Holy crap, this is weird. I know Scott (guy with the last deer-huge non typ) I shot indoor leagues with him last winter in Red Oak. Small world huh?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
bowhuntinfordeer

Default Real small world

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt_hunter007 View Post
Holy crap, this is weird. I know Scott (guy with the last deer-huge non typ) I shot indoor leagues with him last winter in Red Oak. Small world huh?
I just met him the other day one of the guys I have been putting in my stands is his uncle. He was just showing me some video the other day of some deer he had passed up. Wow would have been awful hard to do. I am talking big. I bet he passes up more P&Y in a year than some people see in a lifetime. By the way I live in Red Oak. Later
Old 11-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
hoyt_hunter007

Sweet. I live on a farm south of Red Oak and to school there haha....
Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
dustinpedley

dustinpedley is on a distinguished road

by me in w. Michigan bucks dont make it much past 2.5 years. everyone by me has block permits and they clean out the bucks every year. two seasons ago my neibours got 22 bucks off of 600 acres, the biggest of which was maybe 110''. ive seen bigger dear up to about 150'' one i missed with my muzzeloader. so iff they live long enough my area could get some decent deer

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!
dustinpedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #27
MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinpedley View Post
by me in w. Michigan bucks dont make it much past 2.5 years. everyone by me has block permits and they clean out the bucks every year. two seasons ago my neibours got 22 bucks off of 600 acres, the biggest of which was maybe 110''. ive seen bigger dear up to about 150'' one i missed with my muzzeloader. so iff they live long enough my area could get some decent deer

its like that im most of the state!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #28
hoyt_hunter007

Quote:
What is your DNR thinking? How many buck tags do you get?

It turns out bowhuntinfordeer and I hunt near eachother, the first buck pictured was shot about 4 miles from my hunting spot. crazy stuff huh?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #29
firechic
IKE refugee... hehe

firechic is on a distinguished road

I hunt in East Texas, Crockett to be exact. They (Texas Parks & Wild Life) now have a 13" spread rule, due to the fact of some people are shooting everything they see. Well the rule goes for alot of counties in the state. I know there are a few big bucks around the area, but you're lucky to see a 10 point walking around. Most of the bucks are also very narrow. We're actually getting excited to see an 8 point on our cameras. I don't know how to score a buck with B&C or P&Y. Heck I don't even know the difference between the two scoring scales.
firechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #30
bowhuntinfordeer

Default I only get 2 bucks a year and its okay thats what makes next year always look so good

Quote:

It turns out bowhuntinfordeer and I hunt near eachother, the first buck pictured was shot about 4 miles from my hunting spot. crazy stuff huh?
When I have the time and know that Montgomery county allows so many antlerless tags I generally take 5 to 6 does just to help the deer herds in the areas I hunt as well as to fill my freezer. With that you can only take 2 bucks in Iowa in any two seasons( unless using a landowners tag). The first of which I take with a bow and the second I take with a muzzleloader. In the past I have taken many younger basket size bucks but have since changed my ideals. I believe in filling my tags but I also believe that the button bucks and younger unmature bucks should be left alone. Anything with antlers is not a good buck. I think it is comes with maturity in my case. I spent many years shotgun hunting while I bow hunted and found that the shotgun hunt was fun just to see how many deer were in the area in sheer numbers but the testosterone and luck invovled with the guys I hunted with got to be too much for me. I was so tired of the baby factor. I got one bigger than you did or I have been scouting this area for weeks and that isn't fair that you shot him on the first day(meaning I have been riding around drinking beer glassing deer for weeks from the inside of my truck I never got out of the truck or think about how little you could possibly know about their patterns considering that rutt just ended and they are completly unpedictable) Sorry bad memories and hard feelings. I am an avid sportsman and I believe that you can't call yourself a hunter unless you put in the time and legwork it takes to be good at it. So in case you can't tell I don't shotgun hunt anymore and I love to hunt with a bow and muzzleloader. Anybody else feel the same way or had any similiar experiences.

Last edited by bowhuntinfordeer; 11-08-2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: No title
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #31
j3dGuam

j3dGuam is on a distinguished road

Size would depend on how empty me freezer is or how far I got to pack out the animal. Packing out of a tropical forest is not fun. The humidity and heat can kill you if your not careful and you got to get the deer out quickly because of the heat.
j3dGuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
hoyt_hunter007

Quote:
When I have the time and know that Montgomery county allows so many antlerless tags I generally take 5 to 6 does just to help the deer herds in the areas I hunt as well as to fill my freezer. With that you can only take 2 bucks in Iowa in any two seasons( unless using a landowners tag). The first of which I take with a bow and the second I take with a muzzleloader. In the past I have taken many younger basket size bucks but have since changed my ideals. I believe in filling my tags but I also believe that the button bucks and younger unmature bucks should be left alone. Anything with antlers is not a good buck. I think it is comes with maturity in my case. I spent many years shotgun hunting while I bow hunted and found that the shotgun hunt was fun just to see how many deer were in the area in sheer numbers but the testosterone and luck invovled with the guys I hunted with got to be too much for me. I was so tired of the baby factor. I got one bigger than you did or I have been scouting this area for weeks and that isn't fair that you shot him on the first day(meaning I have been riding around drinking beer glassing deer for weeks from the inside of my truck I never got out of the truck or think about how little you could possibly know about their patterns considering that rutt just ended and they are completly unpedictable) Sorry bad memories and hard feelings. I am an avid sportsman and I believe that you can't call yourself a hunter unless you put in the time and legwork it takes to be good at it. So in case you can't tell I don't shotgun hunt anymore and I love to hunt with a bow and muzzleloader. Anybody else feel the same way or had any similiar experiences.

I know how many buck tags you get haha....I was talking about the guy in Michigan who says they shot 22 bucks in one 600 acre area.

I agree with everything you said. I too started hunting with a shotgun because thats what my family has always done. Once i started bow and muzzleloader hunting, i couldn't care less about shotgun. I still shotgun hunt with my family, but use the opportunity to kill 2-3 does and save my 2nd buck tag for late muzzleloader. Once my dad and uncles are too old to hunt anymore, i will probably quit shotgun hunting altogether. There's just not much skill required in gun hunting. You go sit somewhere and have someone spook the deer your way. It is fun, but more like target practice than "hunting." Really Iowa's seasons are set up in favor of the bowhunters, as the rut is basically over by the time gun season starts, so you're cheating yourself by not bowhunting.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #33
bowhuntinfordeer

Default Wow that is exactly how I have felt for years!

Quote:
I know how many buck tags you get haha....I was talking about the guy in Michigan who says they shot 22 bucks in one 600 acre area.

I agree with everything you said. I too started hunting with a shotgun because thats what my family has always done. Once i started bow and muzzleloader hunting, i couldn't care less about shotgun. I still shotgun hunt with my family, but use the opportunity to kill 2-3 does and save my 2nd buck tag for late muzzleloader. Once my dad and uncles are too old to hunt anymore, i will probably quit shotgun hunting altogether. There's just not much skill required in gun hunting. You go sit somewhere and have someone spook the deer your way. It is fun, but more like target practice than "hunting." Really Iowa's seasons are set up in favor of the bowhunters, as the rut is basically over by the time gun season starts, so you're cheating yourself by not bowhunting.
I have felt that way and helped tons of friends get into bowhunting for that same reason they had all been complaining for years about never getting a shot at a big buck. They also complained about never being in the right place at the right time. After they found out that they could play a big part in their own fate they converted to bowhunting and found it to be quite gratifying.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #34
kbohunt
are u a fat boy?

kbohunt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kbohunt
Default Well!

If im hunting public land anything but no fawns.
At my huntclub on 2000acres im competeing with about 8 bow and X-bow hunters who hunt the land and scout the land hard so i am a little selective
But usually bucks only and after i take a 6pt or small 8pt and get one in the freezer i go after something bigger.
I just came off of a hunt where i turned down 3 deer in the 130-140 class
And missed a 180+class
Here are 2 i took last year a 104 and 109 i wouldnt turn my back on shooting these 2 bucks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0197 (Small).jpg (54.8 KB, 82 views)

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
Arrows..beman ICS hunter
SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
FBSA-MEMBER
Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A
kbohunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #35
beenfarr

Quote:
In Michigan Farmers can get block permits to kill off the deer on their private property, to help lessen crop damage.

Ben

FBSA Member
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #36
hoyt_hunter007

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
In Michigan Farmers can get block permits to kill off the deer on their private property, to help lessen crop damage.

Ben
Thats dumb, they should make them shoot antlerless deer if they want to bring down the population.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 AM   #37
OneMustFall

OneMustFall is on a distinguished road
Default Qdm

I practise strick QDM,their all quality to me.....................
Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #38
dustinpedley

dustinpedley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
we can get a combo tag which allows 2 bucks, one has to have at least 4 points one one side of at least 1'' in length, the other can be anything. farmers can get a block permit which meant they can shoot just about as many deer as they want. i also live in the shotgun only zone and my neibours have bipods mounted on their combines for their .270's. theres not really anything we can do about it

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!
dustinpedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #39
hoyt_hunter007

Quote:
we can get a combo tag which allows 2 bucks, one has to have at least 4 points one one side of at least 1'' in length, the other can be anything. farmers can get a block permit which meant they can shoot just about as many deer as they want. i also live in the shotgun only zone and my neibours have bipods mounted on their combines for their .270's. theres not really anything we can do about it
That sucks, what a crappy herd management system.

And the thing is, you probably dont have any less crop damage than any other state.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #40
bowhuntinfordeer

Default Lost One today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
If im hunting public land anything but no fawns.
At my huntclub on 2000acres im competeing with about 8 bow and X-bow hunters who hunt the land and scout the land hard so i am a little selective
But usually bucks only and after i take a 6pt or small 8pt and get one in the freezer i go after something bigger.
I just came off of a hunt where i turned down 3 deer in the 130-140 class
And missed a 180+class
Here are 2 i took last year a 104 and 109 i wouldnt turn my back on shooting these 2 bucks again.
A buddy and I were both sitting one of my double stands due to poor wind for hunting some of the other stands. We had one come in that at first glance I told hime to go ahead if he wanted it and he could not get to his bow due to the way the deer entered. About the time I saw him come in I changed my mind and tried to get a shot He had 5 on one side about 10-12 inch g2s and g3s then the other side had the sme height but his g2s and g3s were both split he was way cool 7 on one side and 5 on the other. I thought he was just a 140 at first look and wasn't even going to try for a shot and I waited too long to try to stand up he busted me at draw. I would guess him at just over 160. I screwwed up bad. My buddy about when I told him to go ahead. He tried and said I can't get there so I tried and got draw and on him when he split. What a bummer I bet he would have weighed well over 250. He was huge big old belly. But isn't that the way it goes. Went to pull some stands and move them and after pulling them and coming out of the property on the corner we ran into 6 bucks coming out on a doe one was well over a 200 class 8 point. He was the biggest deer I have seen this year by far. The one behind him was over 150 class. The others ranged from there down. We even had 2 6 pointers lock up within 30 yards from the truck. It was so cool to watch and know that the does are that close. This is the hottest doe I have seen this year. Now I have 2 stands on some prime river bottom ground. Anyone ever want to have some serious fun give me a yell before rutt hits here and I'll put you onto some trophys. Oh yeah my deer was in the exact same stand the deer pics came from that I posted above. Not a bad stand new to my locations this year. Have had the property available for about 6 years just never put the stands on it.