Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 07-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
12ring4me

12ring4me is on a distinguished road
Default Why do you shoot the bow you shoot?

There are so many good bow manufacturers out there today, I was just thinking about what made me pick the bow I shoot now. I shoot a Mathews SB and for me it was several things that made me choose it. I must say that the first thing I noticed was how smooth of a draw it has. I found it a big plus not having that big peak to get over before I reached the wall. The letoff on it is a plus as well, since I have tendinitis in my drawing shoulder, and lets not forget the overall weight is not to bad either( i do jest when i say it is like a boat anchor, i poke fun at most things just to get a chuckle) last but not least the lack of recoil it has during the shot, I just cant say enough about how it sits in my hand after the shot. This is only one opinion as I have shot a lot of bows and I found this one to fit my lifestyle. I hunt and shoot targets with it. I believe it to be a good all around bow for todays avid archer. I am sure sometime in the future I will try something new and improved and will change my mind,but for now it is Mathews for me and would not trade it for anything. What do you guys have to say about the bow you shoot today, what characteristics of your bow made your decision a lot easier to buy the one you shoot. Most of your top end bows do get pricey, what was it that made it easier to hand over all that hard earned cabbage to the bowshop for your bow. Heck, you never know, I may hear something from you guys that may sway my choice someday.

Have a good day, good luck, and good shooting
Easton Fatboy 400 (344 grains- 260fps@58lbs)
Specialty Archery Superstix
NAP Drop way
Sims Vibration
Spot Hogg Sights

"A bad day of target shooting is still better than a good day of work".
12ring4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Used to be price. But this year I told myself I was going to buy a new bow and not worry about the price. Well thats what I did. I shot Mathews,Bowtech,Hoyt,Reflex,PSE,Martin and after all was said and done I narrowed it down to my XT and the Tribute. Then I shot them side by side and overall feel during draw,holding,and during the shot,and after the shot. All factored in on my decision to buy the XT. If I had been like before and considered the price I would have probably shot a Fred Bear or Jennings. After all I shot my Carbon Extreme for about 10 years.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
12ring4me

12ring4me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier
Used to be price. But this year I told myself I was going to buy a new bow and not worry about the price. Well thats what I did. I shot Mathews,Bowtech,Hoyt,Reflex,PSE,Martin and after all was said and done I narrowed it down to my XT and the Tribute. Then I shot them side by side and overall feel during draw,holding,and during the shot,and after the shot. All factored in on my decision to buy the XT. If I had been like before and considered the price I would have probably shot a Fred Bear or Jennings. After all I shot my Carbon Extreme for about 10 years.
I would have to agree, there is no other bow that feels as good as a Switchback. Dont get me wrong, the bows you mentioned are great bows, and there are a lot of happy owners out there with them.
Easton Fatboy 400 (344 grains- 260fps@58lbs)
Specialty Archery Superstix
NAP Drop way
Sims Vibration
Spot Hogg Sights

"A bad day of target shooting is still better than a good day of work".
12ring4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
BowHunterOK

BowHunterOK is on a distinguished road

I chose a Switchback XT over all the other's simply because it fit "me" better than all the other's I shot.
That's what it is all about, finding "your" bow.
BowHunterOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

Call me crazy but I actually liked the origional switchback over the XT, but in the end I bought the TrykonXL, shot it side by side with the SB and the hoyt came out on top for me. Actually my UltraMag just sold on Ebay so now I get to tear down my 3D setup on the Trykon and get it all setup for hunting. I will either probably buy another Trykon XL or an Elite (pro or ultra)for 3d and spots.

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Your not crazy when you say you liked the Switchback better than the XT, I feel the same way, I keep saying that if i needed to buy a new bow right now and could not get an Original Switchback, I would buy a Trykon before I bought a XT.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

To be honest I went and shot a few, mainly the big boys, Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE and Mathews... its hard finding bows to shoot when you shoot lefty.

And actually after shooting them all I easily ruled out the Hoyt, i like having a grip, i dont like holding onto the riser. This also ruled out the AR line and several other bow.

PSE felt weigh to heavy, i really didn't like the feel of it, we even weighed it and although it weighed the exact same as the hoyt it felt way heavier, very strange.

The Mathews was an amazing bow, I definately liked it, even though the one I drew was a right handed bow.... but the price tag DEFINATELY put me off, not to mention the 5 - 8 week min delay before I got it, expected time was closer to 3 - 5 months, and I had to put down 1/2 the price as deposit upfront (close to 400)

So that left Bowtech, I never even shot it - I couldn't find ANYONE with any instock, so I drew back an Allegiance and fell in love. It was amazingly smooth and felt awesome in my hand athought this one was a righty model also. Then I saw the price tag and went . So once again I could order one but for an Allegiance left hand it was 2 - 3 month also

So I came home and posted up on Archerytalk and some other forums about what I had felt and of course I had the usual "bowtech sucks, buy Hoyt" and Mathews is crap buy Martin" and all that fun stuff, but I also got a PM from some guy offering me a used OG for an amazing price, he had run into issues with Bowtech customer service / his archery shop over some mods and draw length... loss for him, win for me.

And I've never been happier
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Before I bought my bow I went to the Bowtech dealer and shot the Tribute and Allegience. Then I asked the guy if he had a new 2006 OG and he told me that Bowtech had discontinued the OG and I would have to try and find a 2005. Now I wish I had called around and found another Bowtech dealer and gotten the truth. So here I sit still never even fired an arrow through and OG. So as long as I have never bitten into the steak my mouth does not water for one. If you get my drift.

"HONDA"
Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Before I bought my bow I went to the Bowtech dealer and shot the Tribute and Allegience. Then I asked the guy if he had a new 2006 OG and he told me that Bowtech had discontinued the OG and I would have to try and find a 2005. Now I wish I had called around and found another Bowtech dealer and gotten the truth. So here I sit still never even fired an arrow through and OG. So as long as I have never bitten into the steak my mouth does not water for one. If you get my drift.
it is indead a sweeeeeeeet shooting machine if you get a chance definately take a shot or 2 on it, you won't be disappointed
Old 07-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

I will have to wait until after deer season. If they are that great I would have to get one and right now too many other things needing purchased. But I will definately find one after season and give them a shot.

"HONDA"
Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
I will have to wait until after deer season. If they are that great I would have to get one and right now too many other things needing purchased. But I will definately find one after season and give them a shot.
Just keep repeating when you shoot it "my wife will kill me" "I must pay the mortage" "They will take my truck"

that should help
Old 07-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

Dude you hit every nail right on the head so just to play it safe I will wait.

"HONDA"
Old 07-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

I know the felling about the bills but everyday I stop to see if my Apex 7 is in yet.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #14
waltonianarcher

waltonianarcher is on a distinguished road
Default Back into Archery after 15 years.

Quit shooting and hunting 15 years ago to raise the kids. Got myself and my 16 yr old son back into archery last year. Used to shoot an old PSE. Good bow but too loud for me. So I went to the best dealer in my area. This dealer does the best set up. That was number one for me! They sell Mathews and Hoyt. I never shot with a release before either. My god, I'd never shot anything so fast. It took me a little shooting to get used to it. I ended up buying the Hoyt UltraMag. Good price. Good grip. Good Feel. I'm so in love with this bow now that I can't shoot anything else. I tried my friends Mathews and others and I'm just in love with this bow! My son on the other hand, I went for economical. His first bow. Bought him a left over Bear xt 300 (I think). He loves it and is seriously tring to out shoot me. LOL!! He does like my grip or lack of better though. I think the dealer is the most important aspect first. Find a bow that they sell that works for you and buy it.
waltonianarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 AM   #15
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

waltonianarcher, glad to have you here with us. Great to hear you bought a new bow, I have never shot the ultramag. I tried the Ultra-Tec,Trykon,-Pro-tec,and Viper-tec. None of them felt right to me. But we each have different feels and styles and it is important to get a bow that you are comfortable with. Of course like you, I had been shooting the same bow for many years and just about anything would have been a great improvment. You better watch your son those Bear bows are pretty awesome. And kids excel at seems like anything they do. So again Welcome to the forum and keep posting we love to meet new archer friends here, we're a pretty friendly bunch.

"HONDA"
Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #16
MO.HICK

MO.HICK is on a distinguished road

I Shoot the origonal switchback. I used to shoot a Hoyt razor tec. It was a very good bow. But the switchback fit me better. I like the smooth draw. and how smooth the bow is when you shoot it. My 3-D scores went up and avrage 35 to 40 points with this bow. I dont know how they could improve on this bow.

Tom
MO.HICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Gotta agree with you on that one....dont know how they could improve the Original......and I will repeat that I am not a fan of the XT......
Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
BlackArcher

BlackArcher is on a distinguished road

I currently Own a
1.Mathews Apex
2. BowTech Pro 40
3. And an AR34

1. competition wonderful bow very forgiving very heavy. Should have bought the APEX 7. Great bow nevertheless. Powerful Should have gotten the it with the 60lb Limbs...Plan to switch them after this competition season.

I give this Bow an A

2. This bow not as powerful as the conquest, this is no sleeper. Another wonderful bow. My draw is 31.5 I have this maxed out holding about 30 I guess. Un forgiving at maxed DL. Love this bow and it is not for sale so don’t ask.

3. Camo covered AR. Don't know much about it yet. But of the 3, it is the smoothest and quietest.
BlackArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 PM   #19
Bullish

Bullish is on a distinguished road

As the sigs says, I love my Hoyts, My newest bow family members is the Trykon Xl, I shot several bows before a bought my Hoyt, I was thinking about a change. The Trykon feel great in my hand. little or no shock etc, but even more importantly it points very well is very stable, has a great wall and I lke the draw cycle a lot. So I think picking a bow is a lot more than how it feels in your hand, there are a lot more variables than no recoil.

Anyway my 02
Bullish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #20
big scores
banned from AT

big scores is on a distinguished road

i choose to shoot Darton, for me they are fast and accurate, and i love their grip.
steiner optics
custom bow equipment
big scores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #21
erasmu

erasmu is on a distinguished road
Default Hoyt Pro Elite XT3000

I am rather new to archery so I went with a pro's recommendation (Michael Braden). I asked him for something that would be great for target shooting. I was not concerned about speed or hunting. I ended up getting a 2006 Hoyt Pro Elite with XT3000 limbs. I have been shooting it for 7 months now and love it so much that I am getting a second one. The original will be set up for indoor with my large aluminum arrows. The new one will be for field with smaller carbon arrows.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #22
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

well first i shot the 05 allegience, was shooting a hoyt razortech at the time, i really liked it so i bought it, got it all set up, would group good, but never could get it to shoot good right out of the case, seemed like it had to work in, must have been the way it fit in my hand, and it seemed like it was easy to cant from side to side, really had to pay attention to the level, after a few weeks i sold it and got a trykon, dialed it in, and its sweet!! not quiet as fast as the 06 allegience, 9 fps slower, same draw, weight and length, and same arrow, cronoed the bows side by side...but seems more stable, less noise. and i drill xs on my first shots.... fits me great, and i dont mind the hard draw cam...... It is a little heavier though, but i dont mind, i can hold it still and drill stuff with it.... and thats what i was looking for, dont care who made it!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote