Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
tenzero1

tenzero1 is on a distinguished road
Default Ruts on in IL

It finally just got cold here in Illinois and today my friend and i went out for a while and were grunting and we suddenly got a grunt back then a while later saw 2 does. They left for a while and we continued to grunt and not soon after a doe pops out about 30 yards away from us. We let her wander towards us and soon after another doe comes out with a nice little 8 pointbuck trailing and grunting along the way. The 2 does stop about 5 yards away from us and stare at us for a while and the buck is watching from 45 yards out and we couldnt move to shoot so we waited and the does busted us because we were up wind. It was kinda dissapointing because we didnt get a shot but im glad to see the ruts on here and also the buck wasnt really a mounter so its not the worst thing....Hopefully tommorow night will yeild some big IL monsters
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

I too am in IL. I saw a small buck dogging a doe all over the place today. He was running her ragged.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

We were coming out the park we hunt and we always put the headlights in the top field to see if they are up there because they usually are and there was this nice 6 with 6 does just shy of 100 yrds, so my dad told me to get the grunt call, 2 mature little " Burt" "Burt" and he came charging the truck...i dont know if this was a fight he could win, but it was one of the coolest things ive see a deer do, and he came 15 yards from the truck and stood there like a duh.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
It finally just got cold here in Illinois and today my friend and i went out for a while and were grunting and we suddenly got a grunt back then a while later saw 2 does. They left for a while and we continued to grunt and not soon after a doe pops out about 30 yards away from us. We let her wander towards us and soon after another doe comes out with a nice little 8 pointbuck trailing and grunting along the way. The 2 does stop about 5 yards away from us and stare at us for a while and the buck is watching from 45 yards out and we couldnt move to shoot so we waited and the does busted us because we were up wind. It was kinda dissapointing because we didnt get a shot but im glad to see the ruts on here and also the buck wasnt really a mounter so its not the worst thing....Hopefully tommorow night will yeild some big IL monsters
I don't know where you are from, but the rut has been going on. It started about two weeks ago. Around here the past week was tough hunting, the bucks were all doed up. They're starting to chase again, looking for some more does. This morning I had what I thought was a 2 year old 8 come in at 20 yards and stopped in the exact same spot where I shot my 10 pointer. It was really early and dark and couldn't tell exactly what he was so I let him go. Not big enough. He left and started chasing a doe around. Came back to me 10 minutes later following the doe and this time I could see exactly what he was. His left side had 4 points and his right side had a split main beam. The outside beam just came out and forked and the inside beam went straight up about 8-9 inches. By the time I realized it was too late. He was 20 yards and at full draw I noticed a very small branch between me and him that went straight across the midline of his body. I could not risk the shot and hoped he would take 2 steps forward. Instead, he turned and walked straight away from me following the doe and would not stop and turn after a few grunts. He was not the biggest deer but very cool characteristics.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
tenzero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
I don't know where you are from, but the rut has been going on. It started about two weeks ago. Around here the past week was tough hunting, the bucks were all doed up. They're starting to chase again, looking for some more does. This morning I had what I thought was a 2 year old 8 come in at 20 yards and stopped in the exact same spot where I shot my 10 pointer. It was really early and dark and couldn't tell exactly what he was so I let him go. Not big enough. He left and started chasing a doe around. Came back to me 10 minutes later following the doe and this time I could see exactly what he was. His left side had 4 points and his right side had a split main beam. The outside beam just came out and forked and the inside beam went straight up about 8-9 inches. By the time I realized it was too late. He was 20 yards and at full draw I noticed a very small branch between me and him that went straight across the midline of his body. I could not risk the shot and hoped he would take 2 steps forward. Instead, he turned and walked straight away from me following the doe and would not stop and turn after a few grunts. He was not the biggest deer but very cool characteristics.

Ive been out alot these past few weeks and all the bucks or does weve seen until today have been separate...Todays the first true cold day weve had for anything good to happen..
Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
tenzero1

I hunt in Stephenson Co. btw
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
tnts79

tnts79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover & Oats View Post
I don't know where you are from, but the rut has been going on. It started about two weeks ago. Around here the past week was tough hunting, the bucks were all doed up. They're starting to chase again, looking for some more does.
Same here, I saw a lot of bucks about about a week ago, they seem to be locked down now. Hopefully with this colder weather the does will get up and move around and drag some bucks with them. I had some little bucks chasing does Tuesday but no big dogs, hopefully the deer will be moving these next couple weeks, I will be out tonight in the wind and Fri. and Sat. I am thinking about taking all next week off but I don't know if it will be worth it! I would much rather be hunting than working, but sitting for naught gets old!
5575 GT XT Hunters/G5 Tekan-II/Tru-Ball Copperhead
tnts79 is offline   Reply With Quote