Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-12-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Part2:Forest Preserve District Shoots 300 Deer

Well, it appears that the fight is not totally over on the deer hunt in the Forest Preserves of Winnebago County. There is supposed to be a executive commitee meeting this Thursday. However, rumor has it, there will not be an open hunt.

It should be interesting though. There is also talk of another method to force them to open the hunt. It is the same thing they had to do in McHenry County to get them to open the hunting. There is talk of sueing the county board and it's members.

The fight continues....
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's the latest....

At the Forest Preserve Executive Committee Meeting, the Director of the Forest Preserve stated "we can do one of two things". We can have open them to public hunting or we can continue to sharp shoot and open 200 acres for bowhunting a certain remote area.

Apparently if the forest preserve sharpshooters cannot shoot the deer from the truck then it qualifies as a remote are. From what I understand there is a 200 acre heavily forested section that has no trails or roads. This is where they want to put the bowhunters.

Now get this. The time the bowhunters are allowed is sunrise to 9:30am. That's all. I realize there are supposed to tons of deer in this area but that sure isn't much time.

Before the board could vote on the bowhunter/sharpshooter idea, our infamous alderwoman piped up. She wants a public hearing before allowing this. She is totally against hunting and was one of the main people that stopped the bowhunting at Rock Cut State Park.

Oh I almost forgot. One of the alderman was upset at all the hunters that were present at this meeting. He wasn't happy that they couldn't conduct their business without the public listening. WHAT!? They don't want the public knowing what they are doing. This is our local governmental body in action.

I really wish someone would run against her. The hunting public alone should be able to swing the vote for a new alderperson.

I understand that McHenry County Conservation District has hunting in their Conservations. I'm not sure there really is a difference between a Conservation and a Forest Preserve. But it took threatening with a lawsuit before they would listen. I guess the same thing will have to happen here.

I wonder if it would do any good to put up petitions in the local Archery Shops, Bait Shops, Gander Mountain, Dicks Sporting Goods etc. If we could generate a few thousand names would that force them to allow hunting in the forest preserves.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

More updates....

So much for the public hearing. They completely cancelled it. The County Board Chairman put a stop to it. He said they have more important things to deal with than re-hashing the deer hunt.

Then he says that they should sell the venison. HELLO!!! That is illegal in the state of Illinois. You cannot sell any part of the wild game. Oh since the poach the deer at night over bait and shoot from inside their trucks, the illegal selling of game is ok too.
UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Manage the deer population?

So I guess there should be swear words allowed now on 3d shoots now aye?
I am really floored about this,selling deer is against the law,what else will they come up with to gain revenue?
We PAY to hunt and get 2 bucktags no matter what,aye?
They shot 6-8 deer(not confirmed really how many) for Cwd testing on my familys hunting property last winter in one week and found no cases whatso ever,even after I told them there was no cases reported from us.I was pissed from the getgo,and I'll tell you why,I don't care for the political hype and crap either.
Because I AM a ethical deer hunter and let even the 8 pointers walk unless there quite monsterously worldclass,and these guys don't give a rats derriere if it's a fawn,nubbin,2 1/2,3 1/2 or a 4 1/2or if its a 190 that's just dropped his horns,it's another deer to kill,period either for testing or for the meat to go to the homeless.Not a bad thing at all,I guess a true real dedicated hunter can afford a outfitter somewhere,I guess.I can say I'm out of venision already in MY freezer folks.
How would maybe an outfitter feel if I shot 2 bucks that where all around 100 inchers in one afternoon,when the guy says only 130's?Need to fill the freezer for what he charges sounds funny don't it?
It isn't about the antlers to me as much as the herd,tell that to the next guy who loves the meat,that's why I shoot DOES,for meat.
Who can't understand that they(DNR) don't already have more deer than all of our hunting property's put together, in Half the parks and on There Land?
I would pay to hunt the parks,it would be better than going all the way to canada,for some of us,and there's some hard earned cash for em' if I don't say so myself.
The thing they don't understand is what hunting profits would be,and some of us don't have ,or haven't been blessed to have good hunting property to hunt on around here.Alot of guys try to get permission to hunt on property that will never be able to be hunted on enough as it is...
I have asked to hunt on property as well,and it's like pulling teeth out of a pregnant rottweiler around here.
So,In some ways I can say that sheriff john gasparini wasn't all that bad of a guy,after this post.
And another thing who's park is it anyways.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Angry More updated information

Well, I talked to the IL DNR yesterday.

I bluntly asked why they (the Forest Preserve District) is allowed to remove deer using poaching methods. I was told that this is a special permit that allows them to take deer using certain methods and this is one of them.

I then asked why the DNR hasn't pushed them to allow hunting. He stated they have no juristiction to do that? The DNR is state wide but local/County forest preserve trumps them?

He said we have highly recommended they implement a hunting program. He also stated their $58,000 cost was under estimated. Consider in business the cost of insurance, workmans comp, benefits and you have nearly $100,000 cost.

He also stated the FPD has only taken about 1/4 of the total deer they need to remove before it gets to managable levels. So figure $100,000 * 4 and that's the Tax dollars you and I are contributing.

So instead of generating income, they are totally wasting money. Even after they get the herd numbers down they still have to manage it. Otherwise this will start over or be a yearly expense.

There was an article in the Rock River Times that basically stated, the hunters are so used to getting beat down that they just accept it. It's time for the hunters to step up and stop being so nice. We need to put pressure on the County Board.

You can't reason with an ANTI any more than you can reason with a terrorist. They believe what they believe regardless of the facts they are shown. They refuse to see any side except their own side.

I wonder if a petition will do any good. Do you think 5-6000 names on a petiton to open the Forest Preserve for hunting would do any good?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
glenny

Default I guess they got elected to serve the commitee not the public.

I can get the first 50 signatures on the list right now.
What I don't understand is the money revenue they are trying to develop,and they can't see it from our point of veiw as bowhunters.I work hard everyday and spend most of my income on deer hunting and archery and fishing crap.
The aldermen don't bowhunt and don't know what deer are really about at all,or they would not have feelings in this matter.
Bambi was a buck that ended up on there forefathers dinner table well before red lobster and cliffbreakers was around.
If it wasn't for the whitetail deer many of us wouldn't be here.
Never does this cross the mind of the people opposed to deer hunting and are now vegitarians,as the way we got here? Ask the oldest family member you have and they will tell you what was on the dinner table 100 years ago for more than half of us.Wildgame wasn't even considered WILDGAME it was considered FOOD.
I also know we live presently in the year 2004 and turkey and deer populations have gone insane compared to 5 years ago.What the committee don't see is WHY.
As a contractor and know construction has risin 10 fold on the east side of rockford and roscoe,rockton.
The houses,the condos,the mansions that most of all these people live in was cleared out of prime deer habitat.
The Fact of the deer eating up all the habitat has little significance when these subdivisions are leveled to accommidate revenue.Where else do you think the deer are going to go when you destroy there home?
Maybe somewhere they don't get shot at all year?
Maybe the nearest park?
It isn't rocket sceince, but a new gazebo in the backyard of a new subdivision was where a treestand use to be,for some of us.
How much more development can the city do before someone realizes that our stores like home depot menards and lowes where parking lots and stripmalls are now is where there was a deer herd?
If a tornado comes and devistates a aldermans/chairmans house,I would lay money he or she would chop down a prime section of forest and do it all over again.....but hey let's talk whitetails,and really let's do something better for the community besides worry about some deer problem....Let's build a mall of america on rockcut state park.Mise well people.

Last edited by glenny; 07-30-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Lets get the numbers

I need all of your help in the rrstar forums(link below) in Opinion/Hunting In the Forest Preserve. What you are going to read in there is going to seriously piss you off as a hunter. (Anti-hunters, lobbiests for animal cruelty and such) Just try to keep your cool and post positive things so we don’t give the archers a bad name.

http://cf.rrstar.com/forums/messagev...&threadid=3376

Numbers are very important and may be our only chance at this point. Maryann Aiello’s strongest defense is that the bow hunters only account for 1% of the tax paying citizens of WN. County. Lets find out what the number really is. Could we start a thread were we could all just open up a page and type in signatures that we obtain on a sheet labled:

I AM A TAX PAYING CITIZEN OF WN. COUNTY AND WOULD LIKE TO BOW HUNT IN THE FOREST PRESERVES OR I AM NOT A BOW HUNTER BUT I APPROVE OF BOW HUNTING IN THE FOREST PRESERVES.

If we are collecting sig’s and telephone numbers keep them also. They will come in handy at a board meeting for WN County. We could leave the addresses off and let the board members guess who’s district they are in

Maybe we could seperate them as bow hunters and people who approve, that way we will know what percentage of the population are bow hunter’s ect… but will get much more sig’s of the people who simply approve(wives mothers ect...). I know a ton of people who approve but do not hunt, same goes for the forest preserve situation.

Last edited by Sportsman; 07-30-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #8
Chris
Administrator

Well, I visited the RRstar forum. I never read so much BS by one person in my life.

You know I had to post and I did.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
glenny

Default Are you kidding me?

So did I,I can puke...who are these morons.I can't join the forums there,I won't be nice.
Good LORD Christ Jesus,
I am a regular sunday goer,but murderer,bloodsporting,animal I am not.
I dear people am a dedicated archer and ethical sportman,and outdoorsman and conservationist.
I harvest and also I let em' walk,I also catch and release most of my fish.
I see this modern society of anti-hunters doesn't beleive in letting cows and pigs free in the state parks because there animals.
There's permits to have livestock deer and elk,and WHY?.
Did anyone realize that the deer are animals,and the human population has yet to stop eating them,even the homeless and never will.
I don't need to sign a petition to hunt the parks this year,I have hunting land to hunt on.
I will however, will sign the petition, for the fact that until this very day I never could amagine such idiocy and complete unrightousness by a band of freeks.
I feel like I just peeled a rainbow sticker off my bumper.And I know who put it there.....
I hope that the state of Illinios gets some represenatives from springfeild to have a meeting about who needs to be working for the county of winnebago's people and taxpayers.PERIOD.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Chris
Administrator

I talked to the Indiana DNR a while back. They don't have the problems we have. Their state law mandates the Director of the DNR will control the wildlife population. It does not say 'may control' it says 'will control'

This is how they stopped the problems that we have. They also said they had some ANTIs protesting in the beginning. There were fewer and fewer each year. Now there are none.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:42 PM   #11
glenny

Default will.... it happen?

I guess that the board for winnebago county is really looking forward to doing some more paperwork.
I don't understand the meeting being cancelled,so,when is the next one?ha.
I hope they don't pull a wisconsin approach to the cwd.
That's for sure.
I have a funny feeling there will be some body wanting to be a sharpshooter this year.i'LL BE SHOOTING MY BOW,THANKS.
I am speachless after the forum on rr.star that's all.
I thought I knew there were enougH people in the world who didn't like people as myself.
what do you know,there's a few more,Ha.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #12
Sportsman

Default Petition

Thanks Chris good job! Can you believe the BS that is overflowing from that women’s mouth? Anyone who wants to get their 2 cents worth in, just has to register to the site,http://cf.rrstar.com/forums, it’s free and is the same process as any other site. What about the petitions? I think we should agree on the title of the page and start getting as much signatures as possible, to approach the board with. We could give one to the new member of the RSP club tonight who works at Gander. Then we could get Jim Mcfarland on board and see how many he can get.

Something like.

I am a tax paying citizen and registered voter of Winnebago County, Illinois and would like to participate in any sort of controlled archery hunt in the forest preserves or conservation area’s of Winnebago County.

I am a tax paying citizen and registered voter of Winnebago County, Illinois and approve of a controlled archery hunt, by the public in the forest preserves of Winnebago County.

Get all of the sigs. and phone numbers, for verification. The addresses could help or hurt us, someone else make the call on that!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Chris
Administrator

I don't know a lot about petitions but I think it must have the address and telephone numbers on it. Otherwise the information is not verifiable.

I do think it is a good idea. I am sure Gander Mtn would go for it. It will only help boost their business.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:13 AM   #14
Sportsman

Exclamation petitions

Not too interested in the online petition right now. That would be more for the viewers to see what's going on. I think it would be more important at this stage to have a paper copy with the same title at the top and go and get the signatures. We could just log on here to type them in to show that it is worth the effort and working. The hand written signatures are the one the board will want to see and verify. I just think that before we have everyone getting signatures we should agree on what it says on the top so that everyone has the same sheet. We need to start today!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:12 PM   #15
Jim McFarlane

Jim McFarlane is on a distinguished road
Default Posting

Thanks Chris for posting. I also posted in the suggested Rock River Times forum and suggest others to do the same. I hope to see you tonight and will bring along details on who is elected from what districts. If I could have someone make some copies to deliver, I will send them via e-mail, just ask at jem6@prodigy.net.

Jim McFarlane
Jim McFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 AM   #16
Sportsman

Default Petition Anyone???

What about the petition??????????
Old 08-07-2004, 01:35 AM   #17
Jim McFarlane

Jim McFarlane is on a distinguished road
Default Did someone start a petition?

I hope someone has started a petition but have not seen one yet. I am having a gathering for a hunter safety class Saturday and will have sheets numbered 1-9 consecutively repeating with the following:

"I am a tax paying citizen of Winnebago County, Illinois and approve of a controlled hunt, by the public in the forest preserves of Winnebago County."

Simple, to the point, taking in hunters and non-hunters alike. Keep in mind that the vast majority of taxpaying voters are non-hunters that need to be swayed our direction because it is the logical and most fiscally responsible way to spend their tax dollars to resolve a deer problem of over population.

Please let me know whether this would be in conflict with any petitions already started.

Jim McFarlane
Jim McFarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #18
Sportsman

Default Sounds Good

Jim,
Sounds good... somebody has to get it started, I will use the same verbaige. Names, addresses and phone numbers right?

Dave Taylor
Old 08-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #19
Chris
Administrator

I will get on the electronic petition as soon as I can. Work has just been nuts lately.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #20
Sportsman

Should we add in archery hunting for deer in there guys?

I am a tax paying citizen of Winnebago County, Illinois and approve of controlled archery deer hunting, by the public, in the forest preserves of Winnebago County.

Also, I think the Name, Address, Phone, and date should be on the sheet.

No Problem Chris unfortunatly we all have to work!

What are we going to do with all of the names acquired on paper? If you could scan them to a file or something we could give you copies. Otherwise just keep track of the number of sig’s everyone gets in here and when we get enough…go to a board meeting.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:09 AM   #21
Sportsman

Default Excecutive Committee of the WN County Forest Preserves

Doug Aurand was on the news last night stating that he made a motion at the latest WN county board meeting. Something like, it will be on the ballad in November for the public to vote that the WN county board be replaced as the executive committee of the Forest Preserves!!!!!!! If I heard that right and if it were voted that they be replaced, this could be our ticket to begin hunting in the forest preserves. They would have to assign an educated (on forest preserve’s, wildlife management and conservation) executive committee instead of all of the city dwelling members we have now, to oversee the forest preserves. This means no more Maryann Aiello pulling strings with the WN CO board to keep hunters at bay!!!!!! We as the hunting public need to get the word out and educate the public on how important this vote could be, to replace the executive committee that is!!!!!!

By the way Gary Jury doesn't understand why this is even brought up and thinks they do a fine job currently...BS
Old 08-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #22
Sportsman

Default If you agree then go here and vote.

Preliminary Vote