Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-21-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Mad-Man

Mad-Man is on a distinguished road
Default How can you hurt your back with to much draw weight?

Everyone says you can hurt your back with a heavy draw weight. I've heard of people having surgery and everything from it, even young guys. How exactly can this happen? I mean, it could be because im only 23, but im brand spankin' new to archery. Soon as I got my bow I pulled on it, it was about about 60, it was pretty tough to pull, first time i'd ever pulled a bow. But I wanted to pull 70, so I had the guy put it at 70. Well, ordered all my accessories off the internet, so I had some time to wait. For about 3 weeks every day I pulled my bow back []Not because I was practicing really, but more because I was so fascinated with the bow that I always had to be touching it. Rofl, I ate dinner with this thing at my side, it stayed cuddled in my lap while I watched tv, hell I could barley leave it alone while I slept.[] Well i pulled it back a lot, ALWAYS promising that I would NOT dry fire thsi thing, no matter what. And there are been a couple situations where I have let it go to fast or unexpectidly and it has pulled my arm forward hard. None of this has ever hurt my back in the slightest. And now the 70lb pull is super easy for me to pull. I think I could even pull 80, although im not going to because I want to shoot to much to have to pull that much weight everytime I take a shot. So, how can you hurt your back, what part of the process hurts your back? Just repededly pulling back all this weight, or what?
STS Front Mount
Winners Choice Strings And Cables
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Mad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

first off you sleep with your bow? thats sick and twisted guy!! LOL means your going to be an archer!!! LOL welcome to a great fun sport!!!! Anyways, im not sure about hurting your back really bad by shooting to much draw weight, i guess it could happen though. However i have been streched a few times pretty good. By this i mean when you get to shooting, you get your bow back and are anchored in, you get your sight right on, and your lightly sqeezing anticapaiting the shot, now remeber your nice and relaxed and calm and not moving, but you unknowingly let the string creep forward a bit and all the sudden your bow goes but your realease is still on the string..... the first thing is it scares you and you tence up and try to stop it.... this hurts, arms, neck and shoulder muscles..... been their done it a few times......Its alot wose with the higher draw weights and hard cam bows with high letoff.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
shaft

shaft is on a distinguished road

It would be better for you as a newbie to the sport to crank the poundage down if possible. Much more important to learn good form and habits. Ive been shooting for years and my bow is set at 58 lbs. and it will stay there.
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #4
psychobubba

psychobubba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It would be better for you as a newbie to the sport to crank the poundage down if possible. Much more important to learn good form and habits. Ive been shooting for years and my bow is set at 58 lbs. and it will stay there.
COULD'NT SAY MUCH BETTER THAN THAT
Old 02-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
Bowzone_mikey

Bowzone_mikey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bowzone_mikey

From what I understand its a macho thing ..... I was there once too need to pull the most poundage ..... probally because I didnt have an effeicient bow ..... Now i pull 62 pounds ...My accuracy has gone up .... I get plenty of speed ...300 fps with 340 grain arrows ....

with that Utec ...you dont need that much jam if your after north american animals ....

and at a 3d shoot all yer succesfully gonna do is tick off the person pulling your arrow out of the target
Bowzone_mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

All the messages above are good. keep your weight down in the beginning. Learn proper form above ALL else.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Mad-Man

Lol, its not a "Macho" thing. Its that when I shoot an arrow I want it to devistate any animal it hits as much as possible. My guns are magnums, my bows, are high poundage. Not Macho, I just want massive passthroughs. And 30.5 DL combined with 70# should get me that.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #8
bullspotter

I would trade an accurate shot for a pass though any day. If your accurate as you want to be at 70+ pounds, cool, if not try 65. It all up to how good you are i guess.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Mad-Man

Gargy Bogner is an amazing shot at long distances, he pulls 80 and 90lbs.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
houndy

houndy is on a distinguished road

Well when it's chilly and early in the morning and you pull that bow back at 70lbs or more to make that shot and your rotator cuff snaps like a rubber band.Then you won't have to worry about hurting your back.
houndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #11
MoBowman

MoBowman is on a distinguished road

Like they said, build up to it and then shoot 70# while you can, cause it probably won't last all that long. When the shoulder starts popping everytime you start pulling that bow back, you'll turn it down abit

Now, if your shot placement is right you will get pass thru's on your shots weather your pulling 70# or 50#. Pulling 70# and bad shot placement no way gurantee's pass thrus. Good luck and have fun

MoBowman ```---------->
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
JWINKS

JWINKS is on a distinguished road

I went out on New Years eve ( last chance ) a couple years ago, it was 8 above when I left the house at 2PM. Around 10 after 4 I tried to draw my bow (set at 70#) on a fat doe. Dumb thing was broke, wouldn't pull back. Funny thing is, next day it worked fine again. Like a car battery your muscles loose lots of energy when you get cold. Now I pull 62#, shoot better and have a lot more fun.
JWINKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #13
Mad-Man

Im 23 years old, 6'6'' and 280lbs. I work construction and I lift weights. I think i can handle a little pull. Try packing shingles up a ladder all day. THAT will hurt somthing.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-24-2006, 08:28 AM   #14
shaft

shaft is on a distinguished road

My son shot his first deer at 35yds. with a little PSE Spyder set at 52lbs. The arrow was stuck in the dirt after a complete pass thru. Why do you need much more than that? Pulling the string back easily from any twisted position is way more important. Also how much you pull is not the whole story-how the bow releases that energy means much more.
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Ridgehunter

Ridgehunter is on a distinguished road

I shoot both my swithback and my FX at 74pounds, I practice all the time at all different angles and have no problem at all. im 25yrs old 6ft tall 205pounds but in 20 years who knows . I think its all personal preferance and what you are comfortable with
Ridgehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Mad-Man

You guys can say whatever you want, but lets see that 50lb bow passthrough at 50 yards. Or maybe even if it didnt hit the softest spot possible.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #17
bullspotter

So whers the archey hunting book that says the arrow must pass though, If you hit it where you need to, its done in either way, my whitey buck from last year, was a 50 yard shot, no pass though, and it went about 30 yards and tipped over, im thinking if it would have passed though, it pry would have went about...o.... 30 yards??? First thing i worry about is shot placment, not passthough. Your so set on shooting 70+ cause you lift weights and haul shingles, do it then. Alot of people can, some cant and some who have been in archery for along time, dont comprimse accuracy for more draw weight, thats the smart way to do it, you said you were a compleat newby, now your arguing with everyone..... think about it.....
Old 02-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
Mad-Man

First off I wasnt bragging about lifting anything, I was just trying to make my point that I can handle moving lots of weight. The second thing is, it just irks me that everyone bashes me or anyone when they say they want to shoot 70, or even 80lbs. I want passthroughs cause I want my arrow to be a devistating machine of death. I want to be able to shoot the long shot, and a high draw weight will give me a better long shot. Im not trying to arguing im just tired of everyone bashing me for wanting to pull 70lbs. I just dont understand it. I have no problem pulling it. In fact, I can pull 70lbs and slowly let it down without a problem at all. I want more power, is that so bad? No one bashes anyone for hunting with a magnum. 100 grains of powder will push a bullet through a deer, but no one calls me an idiot for shooting a magnum with 150 grains. I just dont get it, thats all. I think some people are just jealous cause they cant handle the higher poundage. Thats the only conclusion I can draw from it. You speak of accuracy but I have no more trouble holding steady with 70 then with 65.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #19
bullspotter

ok now you got me wondering? What kind of magnum do you use that you cram 150 grains of powder in, Just for comparison the most powder i can see in a 300 win mag is 85.2 and a 460 weatherby magnum is 126.8 maybe a 50 cal of some sort would fit 150 grains.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Mad-Man

Lol, everyone keeps asking me that. I was refering to my .50 magnum TC encore. 150 of black, not smokeless.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 PM   #21
bullspotter

ahh ok. I was like dang thats alot of powder!!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #22
Mad-Man

I used to have a Desert Eagle .50 magnum that I carried []With my concealed carry permit of course[] Now that thing was a hand cannon. I loved that gun, its like no other handgun, or at least at the time wasnt, that was before the 500 and all that junk. Sold it to partially fund my custom built super computer. Regret it everyday, I want another but its hard to get with that hefty 1200 price tag.
STS Front Mount
MD Custom Bow Slings
Fletcher True Peep 1/4
Muzzy 100 Grain 3 Blade
Old 02-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #23
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Default poundage

For target I shoot spots at 55# and 3D at 62#. But I hunt at 70. I used to shoot 3ds at 70 also. I shoot a Supertec for 3D now so I dont need to have high poundage to get high speed. I do not believe high pounds is a macho thing at all, I can draw back smooth and shoot accurate with my hunting setup, I shoot it everyday in my basement
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote