Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #1
chefjustin

chefjustin is on a distinguished road
Default The Right Bow For a Beginner

I am looking to purchase a bow. As i said i am a beginner and have a little hunting experience. I know i need a 27.5 to 28 inch draw and think i want a 60# bow. I have read up on bows some and think a single cam will be less work for me. What do you pros recommend (Brand, Weights and all the specs)

Thanks
Chef
chefjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
joekidd

joekidd is on a distinguished road

The best thing you can do is go to a reputable pro shop(not a big box store!!!) and get fitted. They will let you shoot different brands and models. Then, you will just have to choose which you like the best. It's all about feel.........if it doesn't feel right to you, then it's not a good fit for you.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
psychobubba

psychobubba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The best thing you can do is go to a reputable pro shop(not a big box store!!!) and get fitted. They will let you shoot different brands and models. Then, you will just have to choose which you like the best. It's all about feel.........if it doesn't feel right to you, then it's not a good fit for you.
make sure you are fitted good can make big differance shoot many bows before you buy
Old 02-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Listen to the posts above. Get fitted properly above all else.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
chefjustin

Thanks for the info

Is there anything i should stay away from. I dont really know what to look for. The pro shop i use seems to be good.

chef
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
chefjustin

I went to the store today and talk to a bow rep. He carries Mathews, Jennings and just started Martin. He suggested a Martin Orion bow, They get it in a fully outfitted kit with every thing needed.
Tech Specs
Weight: 3 lbs. 9.5 oz. Draw Weights: 50# - 70#
LetOff: 75% / 65% Peak Speed: 300 FPS

He recommend to get the 60-70# limbs and to turn it down to 60. I told him that i think i want to be at 60. Do you feel that turning the bow down is a problem or should i get 50-60 and set it at 60.

The complete package comes with the bow and all of these accessories: Stinger 4 Blade Broadheads 4 Carbon Arrows Hurrican Extreme Release Martin DVD Martin Lightwave Stabilizer Airline Approved Bowcase Field Points Martin Vented Armguard Martin Cap Speed Bearings Helix Strings Coreflex Limbs Solid 7 Alignment system Machined Aluminum Fiber Optic Sight Arrow Rest Thermal Grip 4 Arrow Quiver VEMs Teflon Plated Cable Guard Limbsaver String Leaches Braided Bowstring

Should this do it or look for a diffrent bow or brand

Thank you for helping a rookie
Chef
Old 02-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt that bow somewhere in the 30" class. And to answer youre question yes I beleive it is better to shoot the bow at the highest poundage as it will alow for easier tuneing (my opinion) The bow will be closer to spec right off the bat. I used to think that you had to shoot 70lbs all the time, but a broken back convinced me that 60-64 is more than o.k. for 3-d, turkey, deer, spots, just about anything you can put in front of me. Plus at the end of the day wy shoulders are still working like they were at the start of the day.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
NCARCHER

NCARCHER is on a distinguished road

60 to 64 is fine, just go feel one out at a small pro shop,, not Bass pro either.
NCARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote