Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Longisalndhunter

Longisalndhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Please help

OK, so my 2002 bowtech tomkat came in the mail today. It has brand new 70# limbs on it but here is my problem. When I shot my friends bow I did not pay attention to how everything was set up. This may sound stupid but any help would be really appreciated.

There is a small rubber piece that both the string and the cable passes through and kind of hooks onto (attatched to the rod in the center of the bow). Is that used for when you store the bow and should it come off before drawing back. The bow seems really tight and I am afraid that I may break the limbs. Is it normal for the bow to feel really tight when drawing or am I doing something wrong. My buddy had his set at 65# but this just seems really tight.

Thanks
Longisalndhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
srcarlso

srcarlso is on a distinguished road
Default Cable slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longisalndhunter
OK, so my 2002 bowtech tomkat came in the mail today. It has brand new 70# limbs on it but here is my problem. When I shot my friends bow I did not pay attention to how everything was set up. This may sound stupid but any help would be really appreciated.

There is a small rubber piece that both the string and the cable passes through and kind of hooks onto (attatched to the rod in the center of the bow). Is that used for when you store the bow and should it come off before drawing back. The bow seems really tight and I am afraid that I may break the limbs. Is it normal for the bow to feel really tight when drawing or am I doing something wrong. My buddy had his set at 65# but this just seems really tight.

Thanks
The piece you are talking about is called a cable slide from what I can gather and performs the function of keeping the control and buss cables out of the way of the arrow when you shoot. The string should not pass through it at all (where you nock the arrow). If this is a brand new bow, there may be a cable tie holding the strings and buss cable together to prevent someone from drawing the bow - if this is the case, it can be removed. Based on what you have mentioned, I am not sure what you have.

As for being tight, it may be the cam design or the poundage. Some cams require alot of force at first while others do not. If the limbs are bottomed out in the pockets, you could be pulling well over 70#.

My advice to you is take the bow to a local proshop and have them help you set it up with a peep sight, sight, etc. The little bit of money you spend now may save you hundreds in the future and could prevent injury or bodily harm.

Carter Releases .... Shoot The Best!

Vortex Optics

Hoyt Pro-Elite
Hoyt Ultratec

Sureloc Supreme Sight
Sureloc Scope w/0.5 and 0.6 diopters
Doinker 32" Elite Series Stabilizer
Carbon Express X-Jammers - Spot
Easton Fatboy 400 - 3D

Glory Be To The Lord
srcarlso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default What He Said

EXACTLY what I was thinking. Take it to the shop but probably just the cable slide and guard. Those are pretty sweet. A friend is thinking very seriously about getting one. Let me know how it shoots for you. Thanks and good luck with your new bow.

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #4
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

W/all this talk about new bows, you guys have really got my thought juices flowing, I need to get a few more bows. You know like a chipmunk bow (bow for shooting chipmunks) a squirel bow (same purpose) a new 3-d bow, Maybe a new indoor bow (thats right, have one of those on the way) Maybe a new bowfishing bow (have one but may need a new one), well which one to get first????? Let me know how that tomkat shoots, maybe have to get one of them Bowtechs, Maybe last years old glory, heard that was a shooter.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Longisalndhunter

Longisalndhunter is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info. That is what I plan on doing. hey by the way is anybody on this forum from New York, I live in Lake Grove Long island and want to know which shop is good.

Hey Chris I just wanted to tell you that this is a great site.
Longisalndhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default BOWMAN is from NY

Longisalndhunter I don't know of others but BOWMAN is from NY not sure what area. Probably around Whisker Biscuit Lane Sorry bowman I had to say it. Maybe you live around Dropaway Road. hehehe I crack myself up.

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Yeah I am from NY, I live about 100 miles from NYC about 10 miles from Kingston. We have a few good shops here, maybe a drive for you though There is supposed to be a good shop called queens archery I think down towards you. If you want I can send you a schedule of the local shoots we have around here just incase you ever get to this area on a sunday. Around here there is pretty much a shoot every Sunday.