Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

View Poll Results: What do you shoot Mechanical or Fixed Blade Broadhead
Mechanical/Expandable Broadhead 20 39.22%
Fixed Blade Broadhead 31 60.78%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mechanical or Fixed blade broadhead

Just wondering what percentage of people shoot mechanicals or fixed blade broadheads.Please to turn this a into a broadhead bashing thread. Just state which one you shoot.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

OK, I won't bash. I'll just say that I always used fix blade heads as I don't shoot enough weight to justify mechanicals. That along with the fact that I pride myself on my tuning ability. I have never shot a head that I could not get to tune and group at least as good as my filed points, and often times better.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
foamhunter

foamhunter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to foamhunter Send a message via AIM to foamhunter Send a message via MSN to foamhunter Send a message via Yahoo to foamhunter

I shoot NAP Thunderhead fixed blades. I just don't feel confident with the reliability of expandables, but that is just my own gut feeling about them.
foamhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter is on a distinguished road

I used fixed in the past but here lately, 4-5 yrs, I have been intrigued with the mechanicals. I only whitetail hunt and the mechanicals have done and excellent job in harvesting deer. I get complete pass throughs and always have a good blood trail. Really, no problems ever incountered with using mechanicals on whitetails.
OKbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Rockets (Steel Heads I think)

Seem to do the trick 4 me. If I were any cheaper and felt like sharpening them I would re-use them, they are very durable and always pass through. Shot a doe at least a 45 degree quartering away Sunday and it passed through and stuck in the dirt. I think they "feel" the shot (and run) alot more with mechanicals though. Don't remember the brand (Steel Force) maybe but when I shot a deer with this fixed blade the deer literally did not know it had been shot. It turned around, looked at the deer behind it as if it touched it or something, then kept grazing for about 10 seconds, and finally fell over.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
Pinky

Pinky is on a distinguished road

Steel Force 100gr Sabertooths, Barrie Archery's Rocky Mtn. Supreme XP, and Zwickie Black Diamonds for me this year.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
jacksondk2s

jacksondk2s is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jacksondk2s

I have never used mecanicals but I am going to give them a try. I bought a new bow back in nov last year and this is its first hunting year. I am not real impressed with current fixed broadheads that I am using. (Muzzy 100). They do not seem to fly anywhere near like my target points. I have heard nothing bad about mechanicals. I always hear they fly just like target points. Anyone have any input on that?
jacksondk2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
383bull

383bull is on a distinguished road

I have used sst jackhammers, and for the last two years nap spitfire xp pro series mechanicals, they don't have the o'rings on them and I have never had a problem, I shot an elk this year with them, complete pass through, bull went down within 50 yards, last year I hit a bull with a muzzy 4 blade 1oo grain, again complete pass through but a little far back, the bull went a long ways, with the mechanical I used this year I believe that bull would have expired alot sooner, they put such a big hole in the animal, but I do believe you need to be close to 60 ft lbs for whitetail and even more for bigger game,
I will use them on elk for now on.
383bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
bird

bird is on a distinguished road
Default fixed blades to the rescue

i have tried them all. lots of $ tied up in braodheads. i always fall back to fixed blades. rate muzzy 3 blades #1 and thunderheads just behind them, but not by much.
bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #10
tyshe17

tyshe17 is on a distinguished road
Default fixed blades

I am using Muzzys this year, and on the three deer I have shot at they worked great (1 arrow, new blades each time, always a pass through). None have gone more than 50 yds.
tyshe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
Wolverine

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Default Broadheads

I've shot both type heads this past year, Rocket Mini Blaster 3L, Grim Reapers, Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades and 100 gr. Innerloc 3 blades. I lost a nice buck with a muzzy, shot was to high, but he was seen two weeks later by a friend of mine chasing a doe so he is still alive. The shots with the Innerloc and Muzzy later in the year are in the freezer!
I shot two doe's with mechanicals, lost both never to be seen again. I will stay with fixed blade heads. I personally do not think expandables are sharp enough. I have a ceramic S-3 hone for three blade heads, and I can get them scary sharp.
Muzzy came out with a new head this year called the MX4, kind of the same size other bullet heads. I may give them a whirl this coming year. Just my 2 cent!
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Sportsman

Sportsman is on a distinguished road
Default 2 out of 5 deer Harvested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I've shot both type heads this past year, Rocket Mini Blaster 3L, Grim Reapers, Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades and 100 gr. Innerloc 3 blades. I lost a nice buck with a muzzy, shot was to high, but he was seen two weeks later by a friend of mine chasing a doe so he is still alive. The shots with the Innerloc and Muzzy later in the year are in the freezer!
I shot two doe's with mechanicals, lost both never to be seen again. I will stay with fixed blade heads. I personally do not think expandables are sharp enough. I have a ceramic S-3 hone for three blade heads, and I can get them scary sharp.
Muzzy came out with a new head this year called the MX4, kind of the same size other bullet heads. I may give them a whirl this coming year. Just my 2 cent!
That is what gives bow hunters a bad name! We need as much practice as possible. Shoot plenty of 3-d's, they wont run off wounded if you miss the kill zone. What weight are you pulling? You may not have enough energy to get a pass thru with mechanicals. I have cleanly killed every deer that I hit this year (mucho) with mechanical's (Rocket-steelhead 100s) most of which didn't make it 50 yds.Shoot them in the lungs or heart at and angle that you will get either both lungs or lung/heart combo.
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
MoBowman

MoBowman is on a distinguished road

Rocket Mini-Blasters expandables, has always come thru for me

MoBowman ```---------->
MoBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
PSE4LIFE

PSE4LIFE is on a distinguished road

I started shooting a new fixed blade broadhead called the Wac'em and love them they fly great at 50 yds and helped me take my 142" 9pt this year.Tried Muzzys,Wasp jakhammers,wasp boss.....just seem to like fixed blade but sot some does with jakhammers dropped them in there tracts....john wayne
PSE4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Next Ridge Over

Next Ridge Over is on a distinguished road

I shot fixed blades for years. Mechanicals for 3 years. Back to fixed blade for-ever. Unless my setup gives me
Next Ridge Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #16
ultramax

ultramax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBowman
Rocket Mini-Blasters expandables, has always come thru for me

MoBowman ```---------->
Those are my favorite too. Killed this one this year with Eastmen wal-mart cheapies.
Attached Thumbnails
General Archery Forum - Click for larger version  
ultramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
dsb

Default Broad head use

I am using the First Cut 125 by Carbon Express, the fly the same as my field points, therefore no changes are made to go from practice to feild.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
fastltz

fastltz is on a distinguished road

I really like the muzzy's they fly very straight, however for turkey i will use mech's for the larger cut.
fastltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
CoyoteHunter

CoyoteHunter is on a distinguished road

I used NAP Thunderhead 125 grain for 10+ years tryed NAP spitfire 2 years ago and hit a doe in the sholder and 2 of the 3 blades broke off the arrow still got 1 lung and i found her after a 5 hour wait and about 250 yard track i wont use them again last year i tryed CRIMSON TALON and took 3 deer 2 does and a 8 point none i had to track over 65 yards so i will stay with fixed blades
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter is on a distinguished road

Rocket Sidwinder 100 Gr. For me I LOVE'um.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
A.S.A. IL. State Director
CSS Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #21
ohio Ross guy

ohio Ross guy is on a distinguished road

i love the razorcaps.
General Archery Forum
ohio Ross guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #22
Walker39

Walker39 is on a distinguished road

I have used both fixed and mechanicals. Now I only use Rocky Mountain
Snypers and Tekan IIs. To me, shot placement is number 1, thus, the decision was easy. I think that certain mechanicals can be problematic, thus, to avoid cartwheeling on shots, I only use mechanical that cam-out from the bottom like the heads mentioned above.
Walker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #23
skillswife

skillswife is on a distinguished road

I use the Muzzy 100 cut on contact blades. Works great so far. I chose these since I was ony shooting 43 pounds, not enough to guarantee opening a mechanical. I shot my do this year with no problem. The only thing I have noticed is that you have to completely re-sight your bow for broadheads and my brother in law was shooting Mechanicals so there was much less adjustment needed. My poundage will be much more this hunting season but I still plan on the cut on contact broadheads.
Christine
www.mycustomquivers.com
skillswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
dzingale

dzingale is on a distinguished road

I have been using the Grim Reapers for 5 years and never had one fail and never had A deer go more than 30 Yards. This year I was going to try the slick tricks as A backup but never took them out of the quiver. When I shot the Slick tricks they shot exactly like my grim reapers and my field points.
Danny
dzingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:16 AM   #25
BowTech81

BowTech81 is on a distinguished road

Montec G5's they fly like a dart, I was able to just screw them in, throw out a few test shots and I was ready to hunt

Last edited by BowTech81; 02-21-2006 at 12:18 AM.
BowTech81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 AM   #26
Ol'Dad

Ol'Dad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ol'Dad
Talking Muzzy

I like the muzzy 4 blade heads.I've never had a failure due to my broadheads,had a couple due to the shooter .With fixed blade heads all you have to do is hit the spot.With mechs. you are counting on moving part functioning properly.I'm not saying that mechs. don't work,just too many variables.Fixed blade heads CUT every time....

If it ain't broke,don't fix it....
Brandon

28.5" 60/70
F.O.C.: http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp
K.E : http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html
Ol'Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #27
Ridgehunter

Ridgehunter is on a distinguished road

I shot muzzy's for a few years with great results. but for the last 5 seasons i have used rocket wolverines(mechanical) with just as good out come.I feel its all about shot placement, If you hit them where it counts there going down. SHOOT STRAIGHt!!!!!
Ridgehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #28
Ol'Dad

Ol'Dad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ol'Dad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehunter
I shot muzzy's for a few years with great results. but for the last 5 seasons i have used rocket wolverines(mechanical) with just as good out come.I feel its all about shot placement, If you hit them where it counts there going down. SHOOT STRAIGHt!!!!!
I couldn't agree more.It is all about shot placement.

Brandon

28.5" 60/70
F.O.C.: http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp
K.E : http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html
Ol'Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #29
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about
Default Fixed for me

I have been using Muzzy 125 3-blades for about the past 7 years and they have performed great. The way I see it is if it ain't broke don't fix it. So until I start having troubles I'll stick with them. Whatever you have confidence with is what you should use.

Frank

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
Rim Shot

Rim Shot is on a distinguished road
Default broad heads

I thank it has a lot to do with one set-up. recuver and long bow, fix and bigger the better. Todays high end bows, mech broadheads.
Rim Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #31
BRUIN222

BRUIN222 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BRUIN222
Smile Crimson Talon

I plan on giving the Crimson Talon a try this year. They were recommended in Outdoor Life. My Archery Dealer said many of his customers have tried them and all liked them. (kinda neat looking too).
BRUIN222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #32
zip4644

zip4644 is on a distinguished road

Was a wasp hammer man for years but lately they have not held up to pass throughs ie the trocar tip bends thought i would give motec a try this year. I will let you know if my June trip to Manitoba goes well.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #33
treeghost

treeghost is on a distinguished road
Default expandables

I have used Rocket miniblasters for years. 75gr. I don't always get a clean pass but they always proved a mammouth exit hole with 1 3/4" cutting diameter.

'
treeghost is offline   Reply With Quote