Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Turkey guillotines

I recently bought some 100 grain guillotines and was wondering about shafts and fletching. I'm going to be buying some 5575 Gold Tip XT Hunters as soon as my shop gets 'em in. Will those be stiff enough at 32" with my 29" draw at 62 pounds? Will blazers work? Should I go with 3 vanes or 4?

Thanks, folks. Y'all are a terrific resource.
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
I recently bought some 100 grain guillotines and was wondering about shafts and fletching. I'm going to be buying some 5575 Gold Tip XT Hunters as soon as my shop gets 'em in. Will those be stiff enough at 32" with my 29" draw at 62 pounds? Will blazers work? Should I go with 3 vanes or 4?

Not sure about those things. I've seen them on TV and they do a heck of a job lopping off a turkey's head but I have no idea about tuning... It seems that you would need a bit longer arrow to reach out past the riser, which would mean you would need a bit stiffer spine to compensate for the longer arrow. I use Blazers with good results for target, 3D and hunting. I just don't know how to best set up arrows and tune things with a head that you basically cannot practice with... Have you spoken to the company at all about how people set those up and what their recommendations are ?

Good luck with that...

Ron

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
MTColl28734

Default Turkey guillotines

Well, the verdict seems to be in. These things suck!

First, they're finicky to put together. Not terrible, just a nuisance.

Second, they don't fly for squat. Granted, I mounted them on some 31" Terminator Lites with Blazers, not the $12 special arrows with the 5" monster vanes that are available. But I still expected them to be within a foot of where I was aiming at 20 yards. No such luck.

Third, they're fragile, very fragile. I shot two of them into a shot-to-death foam target that I got at Wal-Mart some months ago. I mean, there's foam hanging out of this thing. On one shot, one of the blades came out of the head; not broken, it just came out. On another shot, I hit a part of the target that was relatively untouched (See above paragraph). Two of the blades broke off at the tip.

I've blown a lot of money on worthless stuff in my life, and these things rank at least in the top 10%. If anybody's thinking about buying some of them, you might want to reconsider.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

trussoni is on a distinguished road

what is a good turkey broadhead then?

FBSA Member
http://www.thefbsa.com
Mathews Drenalin
Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second
trussoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
MTColl28734

Default Guillotines

Magnus Bullheads get pretty good reviews. I may try some if I can find 'em around here.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Ohioarcher
VaporTrail Staff Shooter

Ohioarcher is on a distinguished road

Wow! I was going to try them out but maybe not now. I watched them used at the deer and turkey expo in Columbus and was really impressed with them. They were cutting thru turkey necks at 15-20 yds and bounceing off the back stop without damage.

My only question was are they legal to use in Ohio. It states in the hunting reguations that the turkey head must be attached. So if these things chop off the head then they are not legal.

Either way, more investigation on the durability is needed before good $$$$ is spent on these
Ohioarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

trussoni is on a distinguished road

planning on giving turkey hunting with a bow a try this year. the bullheads are supposed to be pretty decent from what i hear they fly pretty well. been trying to do some research on them but its not an easy thing to research noone is unbiased it seems.

FBSA Member
http://www.thefbsa.com
Mathews Drenalin
Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second
trussoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
pink camo

pink camo is on a distinguished road

The bullheads have had great reviews and even better test results! They come assembled, are very sturdy, and Magnus has AWESOME customer service. If you can't get the head to fly right out of your bow, just give Woody (reasearch and development) a call or email and he will call and work with you until the head is flying perfect. Most likely, you won't need to....but that is an option. You can even practice with them!!

Good luck!
pink camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post

You should be fine on the arrow spine at that draw weight and you shoot shoot 3, 2 inch blazer vanes. Vane color, I'll leave up to you.