Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 03-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
colinsdad

colinsdad is on a distinguished road
Default Got the wife a bow

I just got my wife a new bow and was wondering any ideas to keep her interested in shooting as often as I do? She really wants to go hunting this fall and I really want her to be ready. Any tips would be great
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

I hate to put it this way, but it's exactly the same as keeping a kid into it. Set her up for success. Lots of praise and encouragement. Start her close to the target and slowly work her back to hunting distances. Challenge her to be able to hit consistantly farther and farther away. Good luck and I'm glad to see you got her involved, mine wont even look at my bows unless it's out of envy of the time I spend with them.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Ohioarcher
VaporTrail Staff Shooter

Ohioarcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
I hate to put it this way, but it's exactly the same as keeping a kid into it. Set her up for success. Lots of praise and encouragement. Start her close to the target and slowly work her back to hunting distances. Challenge her to be able to hit consistantly farther and farther away. Good luck and I'm glad to see you got her involved, mine wont even look at my bows unless it's out of envy of the time I spend with them.
I agree....on all points!
Ohioarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsdad View Post
I just got my wife a new bow and was wondering any ideas to keep her interested in shooting as often as I do? Any tips would be great
Put a television on top of the target and play American Idol, HGTV, and Dancing with the Stars?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
all this and make sure it is fun for her. I don't personally know, but I hear all the time that wives won't shoot with husbands cuz the husband is too hard on her.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

trussoni is on a distinguished road

mine wont do much of anything with me. i am pondering buying another bow claiming it is for her and then using it myself. almost a brilliant plan. almost.

FBSA Member
http://www.thefbsa.com
Mathews Drenalin
Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second
trussoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
maximus

maximus is on a distinguished road

get a peice of cardboard the size of your target and make a dartboard,it takes a little time however it makes shooting alot of fun. we play the game baseball and everyone loves it
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussoni View Post
mine wont do much of anything with me. i am pondering buying another
Sounds familiar.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Sounds familiar.
small world aint it.

FBSA Member
Mathews Drenalin
Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

thinking bout buying tha Bee a new S4 70 # pull for our anniversy

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Hook Em
Slippy for President

Hook Em is on a distinguished road

go shoot some 3D as a family!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
my3sons&I

my3sons&I is on a distinguished road

Do what I did. Get all three of your boys into shooting and when she comes and sits and watches and gets bored enough, she will eventually get a bow and start shooting. Mine did. She now shoots at least twice a week with us in the yard or our 3d course we have in our woods. In fact she joined the local sportsmans club this year. Likes to shoot clay pigeons.
John 3:16
Hoyt Katera 2008.
my3sons&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #13
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Keep it FUN.....................balloon shoots and other games like that. Gotta keep her interested, it gets boring shooting at X's all the time.

Great to hear she is interested though.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
colinsdad

colinsdad is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the ideas. I started looking for some targets to keep her interested and i found a few pretty cool ones. We are starting to see some grass again in are yard and she started to see all those frickin chipmunks and red squirles that kept eating her flower bed last year and she is on a mission to take care of them herself.
colinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
bamaboydave
I'm with Firechic

bamaboydave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
all this and make sure it is fun for her. I don't personally know, but I hear all the time that wives won't shoot with husbands cuz the husband is too hard on her.
I agree with you Wheels..... the best advice i can give is to have someone from your local archery shop to help coach her so you wont discourage her, or be hard on her. that seemed to work well for us then as she increases skill then start to help her out......... dont worry soon she will be shooting better than you but its ok
Fatboys
Bohning
Bodoodle
TEAM 6
bamaboydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
my3sons&I

my3sons&I is on a distinguished road

I asked my wife today to go pick up a new rest for my 15yr old. She wound up getting a dozen arrows cut on her own and shot with the coach today. When she told me, I was happy to hear she did all that on her own. On Tuesday she is hitting the indoor range on her own to shoot again. She said she wants to be ready for the upcoming 3d shoots this summer. If you give them freedom to make their own choice sometimes you get surprised. Tonight we blew up some baloons and shot at home with the whole family. Good time was had by the boys and my wife. Next door neighbors family came over and their daughter gave it a try with our recurve. Chased arrows all night until dark. Didn't matter to me much though, my wife, three boys and the next door neighbors all said how much fun it was. They talked to me about getting their own gear for her. I encouraged them to think about all of them getting their own so that they could shoot together outside instead of sitting on the couch. We'll see. Good stuff!
John 3:16
Hoyt Katera 2008.
my3sons&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
pink camo

pink camo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons&I View Post
If you give them freedom to make their own choice sometimes you get surprised.
I totally agree with this! Keep it fun, no pressure and by all means, don't compare her to any other girls that shoot! She will be addicted on her own level.
Good luck...let us know how she's doin'!
pink camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

yeah, you want to keep it fun, but at the same time, its like fishing, its fun to go fishing but if you go 5 times in a row and don't catch anything it sucks. In other words you want to motivate her to get better because the more better you get, improving is fun and will get her to keep working at it. If she picks up a bow and shoots 8 arrows once a week, she's not going to get better and thus, won't be inspired to like shooting or to want to shoot.

Now my wife, I have her shoot 50 arrows a night thru the week, and 100 each day on the weekends) When she is done, I do a 5 spot challenge drill from 20 yards, one round, for each X she misses, thats one lap around the perimeter of our property (5 acres). Fast jog. If she hits all spots, I start the dishwasher that night. People are like pets, we all are motivated by rewards.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #19
pink camo

pink camo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yeah, you want to keep it fun, but at the same time, its like fishing, its fun to go fishing but if you go 5 times in a row and don't catch anything it sucks. In other words you want to motivate her to get better because the more better you get, improving is fun and will get her to keep working at it. If she picks up a bow and shoots 8 arrows once a week, she's not going to get better and thus, won't be inspired to like shooting or to want to shoot.

Now my wife, I have her shoot 50 arrows a night thru the week, and 100 each day on the weekends) When she is done, I do a 5 spot challenge drill from 20 yards, one round, for each X she misses, thats one lap around the perimeter of our property (5 acres). Fast jog. If she hits all spots, I start the dishwasher that night. People are like pets, we all are motivated by rewards.

Wow....you are too good to her! I'm surprised she even lets you start the dishwasher? Is that before or after she washes your feet with her hair?
pink camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #20
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink camo View Post
Is that before or after she washes your feet with her hair?

....never heard of such a thing. You Texans are an off bunch. Nice people, but odd.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When she is done, I do a 5 spot challenge drill from 20 yards, one round, for each X she misses, thats one lap around the perimeter of our property (5 acres). Fast jog.
since when did trailer parks, start having 5 acre lots???
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

Quote:

You are just way to kind to the woman slippy its funny she dont run all over you every chance she gets. Tighten the grips a little on her or youre going to lose her.

FBSA Member
Mathews Drenalin
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #23
dodgensince74

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsdad View Post
I just got my wife a new bow and was wondering any ideas to keep her interested in shooting as often as I do? She really wants to go hunting this fall and I really want her to be ready. Any tips would be great
just before you two practice, put blunts on all her arrows and have her practice shooting at you, that should keep her interested. I know that would make many here enjoy their target practice sessions alot more. I would also lock all the target points and broadheads away where she can't get to them also prior to your practice sessions .
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #24
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
since when did trailer parks, start having 5 acre lots???
The whole park is 5 acres dummy. 24 trailers, 5 acres. One septic tank!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #25
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The whole park is 5 acres dummy. 24 trailers, 5 acres. One septic tank!
one septic tank??

wow thats gross.......how often do they have to come and empty it??
Old 04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
archer1983

archer1983 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Put a television on top of the target and play American Idol, HGTV, and Dancing with the Stars?
What works for me is "Rock of Love" with Bret Michaels...

or that "Flavor of Love" with Flava Flav..

great motivator...
archer1983 is offline   Reply With Quote