Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
lungbuster

lungbuster is on a distinguished road
Default You know what I hate..about 3Dshoots

Is guys that go to shoots and use rangefinders and binoculars in the bowhunters class. I shoot for fun not the score, but it still would be nice to see everyone follow the rules, the shoots I go to say no rangefinders, binoculars,stabilizers over 12inch, sights optics, in the bowhunter class.. Its on the honor system.. If you are a true sportsmen why cheat.. Give the people that follow the rules a chance to place.
Here's a better one I seen these guys shooting the open class and then 2 guys with them shooting bowhunter, the first two in the open would shoot say where and show where to shoot the the 2 guys in bowhunter would shoot at there arrows.. I see so when your hunting, your buudy will put an arrow in it first to show u where to shoot...
When we shoot in groups we take turns going first and at 40 yards with out binc's its a judgement call where the rings are.. This is just how I feel about it anyone else have any feedback..
lungbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Sounds like a bust is in order.

There are Rules to follow at every club you go to.I would prefer that it would be nice to have a pair used AFTER the shots are in play at times to see what it really is at or was....most do not allow rangefinders on the course whatsoever.
If you do happen to use them after the shots are over which makes no reflection on the targets that are ahead of course,then why not.
If I use them this way it's usually a practice for me and even the most of the shooters I know will not turn there cards in even with this being done.
What your talking about is cheating clear and simple,and there should be penaltys as well,such as not to be allowed on the course/range for the day,not allowed to shoot at anymore at that club and with a big fat zero for the score with (caught cheating posted) for everyone to gaulk at.
I guess it really depends if they are actually doing it for practice or turning there score in,I would make absolutely positive they are before hand,if they do...then be the bad man,that's just ethics here.
I caught a freind of mine Chris cheating once...he had the hooter shooter and a crossbow strapped on the back of his quiver at Plug&Pellet,ha.ha.
Just do find out for sure...it will make you look like a idiot if they were out there just practicing and not turning there score in.

Last edited by glenny; 03-28-2006 at 08:15 AM.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
HoytShooter88

HoytShooter88 is on a distinguished road

I have never heard of a no binoculars rule, but now rangfinders are not a good thing. We have let shooters use them only if they agrees that there score card will not be used at the end of the day. Both the ASA and IBO let you use binoculars at there shoots.
HoytShooter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #4
lungbuster

Default in the advance and open class

in those classes binoculars are allowed in the bowhunter class there not.. Maybe different other places but around here no binc's in bowhunter class. Its just your hunting bow set up.. no 4 mile long stabilizers and scoped sights, sight can't be more the 5 inch out ...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Humm this is interesting, First off, Ive never seen the no bino rule at any of the 3d shoots ive been at, i do pry 10 to 14 a year. Ive seen alot of targets that the 10 or 12 ring, depending on scoring, is 3 or 4 inches from where i would shoot it if it were a real animal, so i guess it would be normal for guys who shoot points to look for the rings, I am one of them, ill look at almost every target, Im not saying their is no place that dose not alow them, i guess the rules depend on the the guys running the shoot. I dont ever use a rangfinder at a shoot, because i use the 3d shoots to hone in on my ranging skills for hunting, but i hunt with one, if i have time to range the animal, ill do it every time. also their are alot of people who compeat, but do not hunt, so they may not know where to shoot the target anyways..... as far as the honor system goes, if your banking on this that EVERY shooter will be 100% honest, with scoring, equipment and all the rules, well, all i have to say is you better be the only one at the shoot! Ive seen people cheat, and im sure their are some that turned in cards, that pry had higher score then myself, but at any of the big top end shoots, ill be willing to say that top shooters are pretty honest, they do have people on the course that look for people cheating, undercover shooters if you will, Had one in our group one time, and had no idea. and most of the time, they dont let you shoot with your buddies, they put the same class of shooters together, so no open class guys with the bowhunter class, and they (guys puting on the shoot) group up the shooters. But i do agree it would be nice if their were some way to keep it even for everyone....
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
lungbuster

Default I could see Binc's if shooting open class

But not bowhunter, Around where I shoot its no binc's for bowhunter and if you use a rangefinder thats real bad.. The only point I wated to make is that why cheat they can use binc;s in the open class shoot that, not the bowhunter class. Its no big deal I shoot to make me shoot better I want to kill monster bucks not win medals..

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
HoytShooter88

HoytShooter88 is on a distinguished road

No in the IBO and ASA binoculars in the hunterclass
HoytShooter88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #8
Mo.Girl

Mo.Girl is on a distinguished road

ASA and IBO let you use binoculars in all classes, but the IBO does restrict the power to 8X.
Mo.Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
chuko

chuko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbuster
Here's a better one I seen these guys shooting the open class and then 2 guys with them shooting bowhunter, the first two in the open would shoot say where and show where to shoot the the 2 guys in bowhunter would shoot at there arrows.. ..
And what is wrong with that? If the first shooters arrows are in the spot, well,......... aim for their arrows!
chuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Everyone used to follow my arrows but then I started shooting black shafts, black fletchings and black nocks. Trust me even on white targets they are hard to see I always ask to shoot first then i dont get accused of following some ones arrows, had that happen once and the guy got really pissed. Said I was shooting for his nocks. I only broke three of his nocks, thats not too bad i mean he did bring 4 arrows.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

I say if theirs a arrow in the target, well, not my fault if it got in the way!! You play, you pay, Ive done pleny of arrow smashin, not always with the intent to damage someones arrow, but it will happen, and have had plenty of mine smashed, it goes with the game!!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road
Wink

In my area binos are ok and some shoots have classes that allow rangefinders, but most don't. most clubs lump everyone together in 5 classes: youth, traditional, fingers, release, and top gun. i guess fingers and releease would be hunter class. as far as the honor system I don't shoot for tropies(at 3D'S anyway)I shoot to hone my skills, and have FUN with others that feel the same way, so if it means that much to some poor chump to have one of those little trophies on the shelf in his little lodge let him doctor his card.As long as they don't take 15 minutes a target to figure it out.

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter
I say if theirs a arrow in the target, well, not my fault if it got in the way!! You play, you pay, Ive done pleny of arrow smashin, not always with the intent to damage someones arrow, but it will happen, and have had plenty of mine smashed, it goes with the game!!!!
brother

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
papa_r0n

papa_r0n is on a distinguished road
Default Practice Proficiency

I've always been a supporter of shooting 3D and Spots to hone your skills for hunting. Shooting for score also,does become a good way to practice and improve your proficiency for hunting.
PS. You use bino's for hunting ? Why not 3D !!
papa_r0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #15
bud-light

bud-light is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

PS. You use bino's for hunting ? Why not 3D !![/QUOTE]

Now theres an idea
bud-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
lungbuster

Default I don't care if its ok in the rules

I don't care if its ok in the rules, But my point is at the shoots I go to alot of them say no bino's,no rangefinders, no sights out more then 5inch's, no stabilizer's past 12.. For bowhunter class. The point I was trying to make is if its says no in that class and you want to use, just shoot a different one. If it is ok at the shoot no problem.. I don't care if I win but to see the people cheat.. It makes me laugh, What else in life are they cheating at..

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer
Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
bud-light

bud-light is on a distinguished road
Default papa ron

geuss i was the only 1 to get that.

lungbuster? Ive been in this for awhile.(37 YRS) I'M 43. if you get caught up in watching others you'll be to consumed in what "their' doing ". Be yourself, Be comfortable, keep your eye on the target and win with honesty. and then when your in the big blind without sites,stabilizer rangefinder, guides, so-on so-forth. you'll caputure the trophy that the cheaters never could!
That trophy is 10 times the enjoyment you'll ever receive over any 3-d shoot.
drink BUD-LIGHT and be HUMBLE.

Your friend from Colorado!

Last edited by bud-light; 04-04-2006 at 09:03 PM.
bud-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
sngehl01

sngehl01 is on a distinguished road

I am guilty of using a rangefinder at 3-D shoots (and binocs too), but before I pay to go in, I make it clear with whoever is running the place I am going to and have no intentions of turning in my scorecard. I even ask them to mark it VOID-Rangefinder Used and have them sign it as well, and everything is fine after that. It's practice for me to be able to judge yardages more accurately so I can make a more effective shot in the field. So I don't see anything wrong with it, unless you are turning in your scorecards, then you should be castrated and then banned from the shoot.
sngehl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:12 AM   #19
Ransombow

Ransombow is on a distinguished road

I agree that no rules are broken if you use a arrow shot before yours for x-ring guidance. But to have shooters with you out of class is a no-no in my area. Binos are good for all classes here also. Just because a shooter glasses a target does not mean he is going to 10 the target
The IBO does allow binos, as mentioned before my post, 8x maximum.