Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
cptmclark

cptmclark is on a distinguished road
Angry Arrow selection

I could use some help in arrow selection. Recently my supply of easton excel 500s ran low so my shop ordered and fletched a dozen more. They will not work with my setup or any reasonable mod to it. Easton blew me off, saying they change from batch to batch and I will just need to keep buying and trying arrows till I am satisfied with one. Expensive lesson.

I am limited to 60 pounds draw weight, shoot fingers, and like my old Browning Maxim long axel bow. I have good tuning (bare shafts impact with fletched shafts) with Easton Excel and with Beeman Hunter 500s (which may be the same shaft) and tips from 100 to 75. With the 75s, my FOC is back a bit more than I wish, but the speed is up where I want it. I'm getting 260 fps with this setup. I'm not smart enough to know what is a "good group" ability, but I stay inside 2" at 20, 4" at 40 yards, and so forth. This is the best I ever get, year after year, and for more than 15 years this is what I get when I'm in shape. I'd like to be better, but I don't know if I am limited by ability or equipment. If this is about all I can reasonable expect, someone PLEASE tell me so, and I'll get satisfied. Oh yea, did I mention I'm 62 years old and don't want to get whuped up on in 3-D shoots by you kids.

For 3D, which is most of my shooting, I need the flattest trajectory I can get with my 60 pound physical limitation, and a long axle length for my fingers habit. Does it sound like I probably have all I can expect? My current setup is 59#, 29 1/2 draw lengh, 300 grain arrow weight, 4" feathers, finger release. Bow is soft cam, 42" axle length. Nocking point set at 1/2 " above square, and NAP flipper plunger is at 1/2 " out from the window face. Arrow is feather fletched Easton Excel 500 (old) or Beeman Hunter 500, and 75 grain tips. Total arrow weight 300 grains, sorted to + or - 1/2 grain. This has given me bare shaft impact into the fletched arrow group, and group size as stated.

Easton says change to a 400 shaft but that has been too stiff in the past. Shafts that look interesting are the Easton Lightspeed, Redline, and ACE, and now I hear good things about the Gold Tip 22. I think I understand the Eastons, but I'm told the Gold Tip comes in one spine only and it is way stiff. So, what is "very stiff" and what bow set up is it suitable for.

Way too many questions for one post, I know. Sorry for the long post, but any advice before I go out and buy a dozen of ten different arrows to find the right one will be appreciated. Oh yea, did I mention I have no pro shop within 40 miles, more or less?

Thanks
cptmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default Tell me the length of the arrow your shooting?

I have a half of dozen different arrows in my box,I know what you mean.
Of course that is what you are suppose to do is buy more arrows to see what works best,that' what easton or any manufacturer is going to say to anyone everytime, right?
I got all the charts right here,and from what I see,you should be able to shoot 400's but,you know what's best...for your bow.of course.
Your trying to acheive lowweight and spine which is very hard to due and limits thing dramatically to only certain arrows.
I am not a finger shooter and I am not gonna tell you to step up to my class to see what you should be shooting for arrows,but,I do know this...ok.
I know alot about experimenting to acheive what I found works the best out of my setup,so
I can help ya and give you a few to choose from,ya just gotta tell me how long your arrow IS....for the fact of grains and and foc weight to choose from.
No, your not wrambling on old timer,
your just trying to acheive what some of us have already been dreading through hundreds of dollars and spending months to acheive correct arrow flight,and I know this at 35.so
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
cptmclark

cptmclark is on a distinguished road

29 1/2 Easton Excel 500 arrows (7.7 gpi) (minus points) with 75 grain points and 4 inch feathers gives me a 300 grain arrow that shoots bare shaft into the group. FOC is farther back than I want, but in range at about 13%.

Draw lenght is about 29 1/2 giving about 1/2 inch overhang, plus the point. Draw weight is about 59 pounds now. Nocking point is at 1/2 inch above square.

New excell 500s are MUCH weaker spined. I'm looking for an arrow in the 7 to 7.3 grains per inch range to use with the 75 grain tip, up to maybe 90, to stay in the 300 grain total weight neighborhood.. Any heavier will require heavier tip for a reasonable FOC and I don't want to spread my pins.

Curious about the gold tip arrows, as I hear they come in only one spine... extra stiff.
cptmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
glenny

glenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to glenny
Default I sent you a email...

Perhaps it would be better to go over your delema and search for new arrows personally.
I also suggest opening up a personal message box.
glenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
BowChic

BowChic is on a distinguished road

Check out TAP (The Archery Program). It's a computer program that helps you with this kind of info.

Here's the link to their website:
www.thearcheryprogram.com
BowChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
shaft

shaft is on a distinguished road

Go to Google and type in -arrow weight. More reading than you can imagine!!!
shaft is offline   Reply With Quote