Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
wamp98

wamp98 is on a distinguished road
Default Hoyt 3D Bow Decissions???

I am new to the site, and recently rejoined the 3D circuit after taking about the last 10 years off due to life. I am currently shooting about a 15 yr old Hoyt Enticer, Sure-loc sight with Super D scope, 4 finger Stan release, and trap door rest. I am in the market for a new 3D bow, and need some info on the Hoyt Elite Series bows. Can someone help explain the differences between the Contender Elite, Ultra Elite, Alpha Elite, Pro Elite, and Vantage Elite. What are the best cam set ups for shooting 3D, and XT2000 vs. XT3000 limbs??? Also, I have options to buy some 2008-2010 models, and was wondering if there are any significant changes from them to the current models. Any and all help would be great. Thanks guys, and I will be at the MAC shoot tomorrow in Freeport, IL if anyone is going!
ADAM
wamp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

to the forum. Great having you here. I do not know anything about Hoyt other than the few I have shot were very nice bows. I am sure there will be others here to help with your questions. Be patient though may take a few days. So good to hear you are getting back into 3D. I have not shot much 3D but enjoy hunting very much. Please make yourself at home and enjoy the entertainment in Offtopic.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamp98 View Post
I am new to the site, and recently rejoined the 3D circuit after taking about the last 10 years off due to life. I am currently shooting about a 15 yr old Hoyt Enticer, Sure-loc sight with Super D scope, 4 finger Stan release, and trap door rest. I am in the market for a new 3D bow, and need some info on the Hoyt Elite Series bows. Can someone help explain the differences between the Contender Elite, Ultra Elite, Alpha Elite, Pro Elite, and Vantage Elite. What are the best cam set ups for shooting 3D, and XT2000 vs. XT3000 limbs??? Also, I have options to buy some 2008-2010 models, and was wondering if there are any significant changes from them to the current models. Any and all help would be great. Thanks guys, and I will be at the MAC shoot tomorrow in Freeport, IL if anyone is going!
ADAM
Giday Adam and to the nuthouse!!!!Hoyt Bows were do we start,if the $$$ allow get a RKT model 2012 great draw cycle and awesome let off,best advise as always go shoot a few and see what likes you!!!!

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
wamp98

Thanks Westy. A local shop has a 2010 Alpha Elite for $800. Not sure of the cam set up on it, but will check it out this Tuesday night when I go shoot again. It's about half the price of the 2012 new models. Didn't know if there are any major changes from then til now that warrant spending the additional cash except having a brand new bow and warranty. Thanks for your help, and any other comments will be appreciated.
ADAM
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Cdpkook132

Cdpkook132 is on a distinguished road

Ultra elite xt2000 with spirals makes a killer setup. Much cheaper then an alpha elite but every bit as good if not better.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk
Cdpkook132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I had a Alpha Elite. For a target bow it is fast. But you give up alittle for the speed, for me it was a stable bow and held very well but it was not forgiving on form flaws. Lots of people are having great luck with them but I could never get the bow to fit me. Any up hill or down hill, side hill or bad footing area I struggled with this bow.

Pro-Elite-- great bow, very stable and great all around target bow, maybe lacking alittler speed for 3d and might be better trying a ultra-elite.

Vantage Elite- another great bow but it never felt as stable as my pro-elite. I think it has something to do with the longer riser on the vantage.

Contender Elite- this is a great all around bow. It as stable as the Pro- elite but you can get some impressive speeds out of the bow for 3d. At the end of the year you can turn it down and have a great indoor bow. This is my choice of bow for a all around shooter.

One thing on Hoyt cams. Try the different cams before you make a choice. I hate any bow with spiral cams and love the cam&1/2. This might be the reason I had such a hard time shooting the Alpa-elite. Spiral cams are very aggressive and will hurt you if you relax any little bit in the shot, and just the opposite with the cam &1/2 it will let you relax to much intil you collapse and screw up you shot.

If you know your draw length, take a good look in the classifieds over on AT, you can get some great deals on used bows right now.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

xt3000 are long limbs, xt 2000 are standard length and the only limb available on the alpha and vantage. the pro and ultra elites are discontinued, the pro was deflex, the ultra was reflex, the contender and contender elite are sort of a combination of the pro and ultra in terms of riser , slightly reflex but sort of 1/2 between the pro and ultra. the contender pro is the same as the contender elite without the shoot thru fanfare. the vantage is along nuetral riser with semi parallel limbs sort of like the Mathews Conquest, the alpha is a shorter parallel limb set up, the shortest elite too date, about 36" ata.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
wamp98

Thanks guys for the help. I shot the MAC Sunday in Rockford, and realized how bad I suck! Lol. I shot a 230ish after missing 4 out of the first 7 targets. Been out of the game a long time, and really want to get back onto the competitive side. My severe lack of speed has really lit a fire under me to get a newer bow. If anyone knows anyone looking for a sweet electric blue hoyt enticer with brand new Orange strings, hit me up. I'll sell cheap. I appreciate u guys taking the time to explain the differences in bows. It's all starting to make sense. How are the rkt cams vs. Cam 1/2 vs. Spiral. I'll keep ya posted as to what I decide. And by the way, I have a 28" draw if anyone has any smokin deals for me.
ADAM
Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
wamp98

Default Alpha Elite

I think I've decided on an alpha elite. Does anyone know what year hoyt started making the blackout edition AE? Is there an easy way to tell the year of the bow?
Thanks
Adam
Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Compound Comedian

Hoyt doesnt change thier target models every year, so it really doesnt matter what year it is. The Alpha was a new bow for 2011, the only diff is the limb graphics which were changed in 2012, sometimes they just change the cam or cam options. for example the contender elite is the same 2010 2011 2012, the gtx cam was new in 2011 and was the last year of the cam 1/2 +.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Westy
Aussie Member

Westy has a spectacular aura aboutWesty has a spectacular aura about

2012 Alpha elite has the Rkt cams and is by far a better bow!!!If i was still going to be shooting Hoyt it would be the only Hoyt Bow I would purchase!!!!!!Bloody Awesome Target Bow

Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
wamp98

The bow I'm looking at and have been shooting is a 2011 AE 40-50 lb. Bare bow is $800 out the door, and since I'm buying it from the range, the owner is going to treat it as a "new" bow and therefore comes with full warranty. Does that seem like a decent buy, or is there that big of a change from 2011 to 2012 to spend the extra cash. Do u know if I can just buy a set of RKT cams and put them on this??? It is shooting about 305 fps at 50 lbs with a 255 grain arrow.
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Compound Comedian

yeah, if its mint $800 seems decent considering ordering a new one will be well over a grand. I would just call Hoyt on the compatibilty of that cam, size for your draw length and how it will effect the draw length, get the deflection of the limbs now to tell the hoyt people and they will tell how much it will change the draw weight.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

The Enticer when setup correctly is plenty fast for 3D. The ASA speed limit is the exact same now as it was when guys were shooting Enticers for 3D....I didn't have a problem hitting 280 or more with an Enticer, Defiant or Alpha Tec back then.

If your missing targets. Even if your bow is shooting 250-260 fps going to a bow that is basically rated the same speed to 15 fps faster isn't going to give you a hit. The Enticer was rated in the 300 fps range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote