Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 09-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
rfield54

rfield54 is on a distinguished road
Question Looking for a real good bow

I'm new to the forum, but not new to archery. I basically took 25 years off. I shot targets on a regular basis back then, with a Jennings compound (long gone). I want to get back into it and I'm looking for a great used bow (targets and eventually hunting). I like what I hear about the Mathews bows, but was told by one source to shy away from the Z-max (stiff and unforgiving). I'm a lefty, so my used choices are limited (Ebay). Thanks in advance for your opinions. Roy
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Tell us a little more about the plans for your new bow. Are you only interested in target shooting or do you also plan to hunt with this bow. Also, if you plan on target shooting, do you know what types you will want to participate in? 3D, Field, Indoor 300?

Give us a little more info and it will help point you in the right direction.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
rfield54

All I shot years ago were outdoor targets (a range in the hills west of Oakland, CA). I'm limited here on the Western Slope of CO. I'd say at this point just targets in Grand Junction. Maybe set up a couple of 3D's on my property in S.E. Utah. I'm 5-11, 160 lbs and I'm pretty sure my draw is about 27 3/4". I'm thinking my draw weight is 60#.

Last edited by rfield54; 09-12-2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

If your going to primarily shoot targets and want a mathews, then look at the ovation. Good shooting bow. Not super fast but it's forgiving. It would also make a good hunting bow but it's much bigger than the outback.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:17 PM   #5
White_Trash

White_Trash is on a distinguished road

What do you all think about the new Martin bows out there??
White_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Chris
Administrator

The new martin bows are nice too. I recommended the mathews because that is what he was interested in. If rfield54 wants other recommendations, there are plenty of other bows worth looking at.

For targets, the Martin Scepter is really a nice bow.

If you want to look at hoyt, check out the protec or proelite

Just my opinion.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
rfield54

Actually, I'm open to suggestions. I'm also considering a Hoyt Ultratec, maybe a Martin (Cougar Magnum). Thanks for all of your tips, though. -Roy
Old 09-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
Chris
Administrator

The Ultratec is a great bow. I have owned a couple of them.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Cougar Mag with Nitrous cams would be a real barn burner. Good speed and nice roll over for a speed cam.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Taking another look at my post and yours I'd have to recommend the Cougar Elite with Nitrous cams. This would be a better target bow than the Cougar Mag. Another ulternative is the RazorX Elite with Nitrous cams. Both are longer ATA bows and with generous brace heights and still plenty of speed. ATA's are in the low 40" range.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 06:15 PM   #11
rfield54

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and opinions, especially you Barry. I ended up with the 2001 Ultratec (XT2000, red) that toxoman was selling two weeks ago. It needs the rest, sight and other goodies, so I might be asking a few questions in the future. This is a hell of a site and I'm glad to be a part of it. - Rfield54

Last edited by rfield54; 09-24-2004 at 06:32 PM.