Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 05-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
cdhunter

cdhunter is on a distinguished road
Default 3d target vital cheat sheet

I have recently gotten back into tournament shooting. I used to hunt a great deal but when I went to college I got out of it. I only shoot 3d tournaments now and was wondering if anyone had a cheat sheet for where the vitals are on most of the major targets. I have noticed that deer vitals seem to be further back than the way I was taught and they seem a little higher as well. I was just wondering if someone had something like flashcards with pictures of the targets with emphasis on the scoring rings? If not I will probably start packing my digital camera with me to shoots and start my own document. Any thoughts or people wanting to join me in putting together a comprehensive list?
cdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
cdhunter

I found rhinehart cards on their website but I'm still looking for Mckenzie. I found references thru searches about Mckenzie reference cards but I haven't found any yet.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
12ring4me

12ring4me is on a distinguished road

You can go to Prairieshack.com, they have a cool site, with speed calculators, kinetic energy and all sorts of neat stuff to look at. They also have a game where you can select which animal and you point and click where you think the scoring rings are. It makes for good memory practice when you are at home on here or at work when there is some down time and you can log on. It has about 50 different animals you can choose from. It has Mckenzie and Rhinehart targets on there, so you can get the best of both worlds. Just a little help to a fellow shooter.
Easton Fatboy 400 (344 grains- 260fps@58lbs)
Specialty Archery Superstix
NAP Drop way
Sims Vibration
Spot Hogg Sights

"A bad day of target shooting is still better than a good day of work".
12ring4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
NE1C_my_arrow

NE1C_my_arrow is on a distinguished road

I've got a scoring ring sheet, on a score card holder.. But to tell you the truth, I NEVER use the thing.

The best "cheat sheet" for finding the scoring rings on a 3D target is a good pair of binoculars. Locate the rings on the target, pick a spot you want to hit relative to something on the target (such as a muscle bump, a paint spot, or even a shadow or a spot of sun on the target) and use that as your aiming point. Works great for me.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

the sun spot thing works unless the guys in front of you at said target take a long time and you forget to check the binos again right before you get to the stake, had it happen....

what do they say???? Been there done that.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

The bow shop I use has the scorring ring cards on a key ring, let me know if you cant find them and set it up so he can sell you a set an ship them.

Hey Chris do you have any? Dont like to take the business away from you.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
cdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ring4me
You can go to Prairieshack.com, they have a cool site, with speed calculators, kinetic energy and all sorts of neat stuff to look at. They also have a game where you can select which animal and you point and click where you think the scoring rings are. It makes for good memory practice when you are at home on here or at work when there is some down time and you can log on. It has about 50 different animals you can choose from. It has Mckenzie and Rhinehart targets on there, so you can get the best of both worlds. Just a little help to a fellow shooter.

thanks. That is pretty well what I was looking for. I use binoculars during the shoots but I like to know in case. I generally have a very good memory once I review something several times. It basically gives me something to do at night or during rain.