Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your goal for this hunting season?

Anyone have any goals for this hunting season? Do you want to shoot a bigger deer than last year or are you chasing a specific deer you have seen or have trail camera shots of?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Nope I shoot for meat and go for smaller does. If I had some good trophys on the last piece of land I have access to I leave them for others to get and brag about.

The trophy thing is just not me and never will be.

Ron

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

I plan on getting a couple of does for meat
then I am gonna hold out for a big un for dad
which passed away in june

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
swintj1

swintj1 is on a distinguished road

This is my first season hunting deer with a bow, and my goal is to get a buck, 6 point or bigger. I don't think I'll take a buck if it is a spike or fork, if that is all I see I will take a doe instead. My main goal is to get a buck to walk right by my stand and not realize I am there, whether I take him or not...I just want to prove to myself that I can find a great spot, become invisible to the deer, and be in control of the situation. Not need to feel pressured into taking a 40 + yard shot at a buck.

If I can accomplish that this season, I'll be one happy hunter
2008 Mathews Apex 7
2007 Hoyt Vectrix
swintj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

im after a giant 7 pt. that i have seen multiple times and have a few trail cam pics of. i posted it on here under "nice buck"
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
PA.JAY

PA.JAY is on a distinguished road

Same goal as always chill watch the world go by for 1 week . maybe take a shot if it presents it's self if not it's ok.. and figure out this damn gps that can't find it way back to the truck !! grrrr !!!
PA.JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
pilot

pilot is on a distinguished road

To not miss the first 2 in a row due to my own inability to close the deal...
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phillipians 4:13
Quickstand Archery
Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings
God's Country Outdoors
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
dodgensince74

to just be able to see a nice buck, shooting one would just be a bonus
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
archer1983

archer1983 is on a distinguished road

Good thread! My goal is to kill my bag limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Anyone have any goals for this hunting season? Do you want to shoot a bigger deer than last year or are you chasing a specific deer you have seen or have trail camera shots of?
archer1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
MagnifiedFur
Team 6

MagnifiedFur is on a distinguished road

I want to get better at hunting thickets in gun season but with my Bow,its so easy for me to grab the ole 12 gauge and sling some 1 oz slugs...We have what is called our Wet-Lands area at work...It is so thick you can barely walk through it,you might make it 40 yrds deep...I have been scouting the outskirts of it pretty hard this past week...There are several Persimmons,Oaks,and Paw Paws along with Crab Apples and tons of low browse...It is one of 3 parts of work property that hasnt been logged...It is required by government for us to set aside so much land,our Wet-Lands area cannot be logged...The more I hunt it, the better it will be for me in the long run..A 10 yrd shot would be about all your going to get safely...

This season and every one after I am dedicating to Archery only...I took my Ole Slug gun and my dads today...

I would like to take a Doe and a pretty nice 8 pointer I been seeing...I got some pix tonight,Ill post them later...I have another spot on State land that i hunt every year,I would like to take another Doe there...

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
team 6
1.MagnifiedFur
2.bamaboydave
3.red man
4.tnts79
5.bowcraze30
MagnifiedFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
TEN RING
ONE SHOT ONE KILL

TEN RING is on a distinguished road

The 8 pt. that taunted me last year I was seeing him up till march he was walking through my yard
TEN RING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

I would like to be able to enjoy a couple of days in the stand, this year, and not feel the pressure of HAVING to kill a deer, or feel that the time i spent in the stand was wasted......
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

My goal is to convince the C.O. of our Base to open up at least one weekend to bow hunting in the back acreage... We are a "closed" installation but the deer can jump a 10 foot razor-wire topped perimeter fence that adjoins to an apple, peach and pear orchard and several fields of corn...

Still, we are WAY OVER the maximum population we can sustain. Some egg heads from the State even cam in and did a count and told them so... I've sat in my patrol vehicle and counted no less than 40 head at one time grazing in the un-mowed fields after dark.

But Nooo, we have to be this "kinder gentler military" and let the deer starve to death instead of harvesting them humanely, because some squeamish spouse might get offended if we killed the animal I've actually had deer "race" along side me for up to a mile on my bicycle while riding the perimeter roads. That's freaky let me tell you to be riding along minding your own business and have a deer run up along side you and pace you going down the road.

C'Mon, just two days, Sir... TWO DAYS, and we'll take care of the "problem" and have a free BBQ and feed the whole base when we are done!!!!
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
TEN RING
ONE SHOT ONE KILL

TEN RING is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
I would like to be able to enjoy a couple of days in the stand, this year, and not feel the pressure of HAVING to kill a deer, or feel that the time i spent in the stand was wasted......
The best part of bow hunting is being up in the stand watching learning and just in joying nature Taking a deer is a bonus
TEN RING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Put some in the freezer, I'm just now starting to get in the mood to go out and do it.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #16
Raul G
the long Caribou

Raul G is on a distinguished road
Default bow bird

This here rookie has his sights set on a turkey this fall. I came close last spring with a shotgun and this will be another chance. I am not ruling out a pig if the opportunity shows itself. One step at a time, maybe next season I can be ready for the bigger game, I do love venison, and for me it has always been to bring something home for the table. I do wish everyone a safe and quality archery season! Thanks to those who have offered their experience and knowledge.
Raul G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #17
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This here rookie has his sights set on a turkey this fall.
My daughter is in the same frame of mind.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #18
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Time in the woods is the main goal. 1 in the freezer would be good. If I can really dream, 1 each with compound and recurve. I have'nt taken one with a recurve since I started as a kid of 15. Looking forward to a little "ME" time.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #19
Werd

Werd is on a distinguished road

not miss
Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter is on a distinguished road

i havent be able to go for the last 4 years. im going this year and my goal is to just get out there and enjoy it. if i happen to get a deer great!
MichiganHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

My goal this season is to get out more... Shooting a deer is just a bonus. For me its about getting out in the tree and relaxing without worrying about the stresses of work (unless I'm on the clock that is hehe)

I'm hoping to shoot another yearling this year, we had a blast 2 years ago with cooking it over the open fire on a spit... Maybe I'll even invite Bunny and JayAre this year...

nahhhhhh :P
Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
Rino

Rino is on a distinguished road

I would love a couple of does for the freezer (we just used up our last pound of meat the other day.) I would need a buck that would surpass my current best (120 P&Y). I have gone a couple years w/o a buck, but am happy killing does until the right one comes along. I also get a great sense of accomplishment passing up the bucks that don't quite make the cut.
A lot of blood.
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #23
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Goal # 1, to enjoy the beauty and appreciate the freedom I have to hunt. Goal #2, to fill my kill tags and the freezer. Goal # 3, to see and maybe arrow a nice buck.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #24
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

My goal last year was 2 does and a buck. I shot my goal...but only bagged one doe. Dern do I punch it when I am nervous. I got a guy who will take the meat off my hands this year, so hopefully I can get the doe pop under controll. I don' like to shoot much more than a doe and then maybe a trophy buck becuase it takes so much time to process them. I got two-blade heads and fobs, so I am planning on getting pass throughs to keep broken arrow costs down, I plan on taking so many. Hopefull the brisket shot 10 pointer will come back with 12, but I am not hoping on a buck. My goal is to sleep more and not have hunting slave me like it did last year. I would get up 6 mornings a week at 5 just to try and get one. I want it to be fun and not just pure addiction. I could not cease hunting- I had to, no matter how misserable the weather or how tired or whatever. Even when I wasn't hunting I was thinking about it. I had it bad last year. Hopefully I can control my life this year.
Tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #25
rodney482
I love this stuff

rodney482 is on a distinguished road

shoot a couple nice does and hopefully shoot a mature buck in Indiana and Ohio
Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #26
deerassassin22
BOWTECH TRIBUTE

deerassassin22 is on a distinguished road
Default My Goal

I have been bow hunting since I was 16yrs old. I spent 6 months in military school. I then joined the army and with Iraq and everything have not got that much time to Bow hunt. So this year my goal will be to get my first kill on any animal deer or wild pig with a bow for the first time. I have some really nice bucks scouted about 20yrs from my stand a 4, 8 and 10 pointer. I would like a buck to be my first bow kill. But I can't eat horns so im not to picky.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

To fill my freezer..............don't care about the wall.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #28
MObottomshunter
Brown its down

MObottomshunter is on a distinguished road

My goal has been the same now for the past 3 years. I first want to pop a doe or two for meat then im after the same big dude i have been after for 3 years. He's like a legend on the property i hunt and ive always been on em hes always just one step ahead of me. Last year i bought rifle tags and went out with my bow. I had a close call with that deer. He actually chagred at me scared the piss outa me. Hes the biggest deer ive seen and hes an absolute ghost. I am almost hesitant to take a shot at him because once hes gone whats next ya know hes the absolute trophy known on the property i hunt and i think the hunts always way more fun than the kill ya know.
MObottomshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
wildfan99
Sophia's dad

wildfan99 is on a distinguished road

1st yr. with my new bow. Love to get 1. I just enjoy being out in the peace & quiet.
wildfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
STRO
get'n rid of target panic

STRO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My goal would be to not get fired from work from taking off too many days to go hunting

Future goals = get my 4 year old and 18 month old daughters involved in the outdoors.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor
STRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #31
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

My goal is to shoot 2 does for the freezer....Then hunt the rut for 10 days straight and wack a dandy! I get my does out of the way early and fill the freezer . Then get serious about killing big daddy,maybe
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #32
beenfarr

beenfarr is on a distinguished road

I hope to get about 5 to 10 days in the stand, and bag 2 or 3 does. I don't care about antlers, just want to fill the freezer with as much high quality meat as my $10 doe permit will give me. And get some good quiet thinking time in the tree stand. That seems to be the only place I can collect my thoughts in peace and quiet anymore.

FBSA Member
beenfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #33
hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 is on a distinguished road

Getting a crack at one of these guys would be fine with me. Found all four 3/2/2008
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shed 1.jpg (148.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #34
Chaser

Chaser is on a distinguished road

Well... First year bow hunting, have been out for about a week now and have some nice bucks lined up. Nice 5x5 thats already lost it's valvet so would be nice to see him walk by my stand... if not, just a first buck with bow would be nice.
Fingers Crossed!
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #35
RiverRob
Green Mtn. bound

RiverRob is on a distinguished road

Tag out on the wad of doe tags I got and see if i can get a shot at Bambi's gramps. As of yet........no luck
RiverRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #36
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd View Post
not miss
Now thats avery good goal
now here are some objectives to help a fellar to obtain that goal
take 20yrd or less shots/ means waiting on to come on in
picking a good spot /largest area and in the middle, lungs
take only side or large quarting away view shots
having a good rememberence of the form and using it that puts the arrow on a straight path
practice practice pratice

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
Hook Em
Slippy for President

Hook Em is on a distinguished road

Shoot a P&Y buck....period

I will get my meat deer....I want some horns to chew on!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #38
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Wha
Quote:
t's your goal for this hunting season?
breaking the P&Y world record. I'm not picky, I'll take typical or non-tippy.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #39
UPSTATE

UPSTATE is on a distinguished road

Shoot 3 deer to fill a freezer, if one was a nice 8 point (or better) that would be nice.

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson
UPSTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #40
8pointmuzzy

8pointmuzzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
my goal is to take at least 2 deer a buck and a doe honestly don't care how big the buck is what about you what is your goal?
8pointmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote